The Shop > Tools

Homemade Carbide Mill

(1/4) > >>

vtsteam:

I was trying to mill the cast boring table I'm making today, and messed up an end mill trying to take off the skin in the slot on the bottom. A while back I made a small fly cutting mill to fit some odd radiused carbide inserts I picked up at the recent Bernardston meet. That mill worked great to take off the cast surface, and leaves a nice finish. I will make a larger version for the same inserts soon.

But today I needed to clean up a slot, and my homemade fly cutter only works on a horizontal surface. I remembered I had a different card of inserts picked up a few years ago -- another bargain table special -- wasn't sure what they were, but I remembered they were square in shape -- and realizing that wasn't ideal. A diamond shape is what I will look for in the future -- seems more useful for making cutters. But thinking about it today, I realized a square shape might work well for just scraping out the slot corner and getting rid of the sand and hard spots.

So a bit of a search located the card in a miscellaneous "treasure" box. I sliced off a section of 7/8" hot rolled I had on hand  -- the same stuff I made the fly cutter out of.  I clamped the piece in the mill and cut a flat down to the midpoint, and then milled a small pocket .125" deep by eye to fit the cutter. Then I transfer punched through the hole, drilled and tapped 8-32, and screwed the insert in place. I only had a round head screw, I'm sure it will work for light cuts, which is all I need for the present, but will pick up a flat head to fit next time I'm in town.

Didn't get to try it out, as my in-laws arrived early at 4:30.

Rats.... I want to see it cut!   :zap:

awemawson:
Looks good : looking forward to see the shot of the finished surface which I'm sure will shortly follow after the departure of the inlaws   :clap:

Arbalist:
Is the insert on the right side or will you run it counter clockwise?

vtsteam:

--- Quote from: Arbalist on August 29, 2013, 06:10:55 PM ---Is the insert on the right side or will you run it counter clockwise?

--- End quote ---

Ha! Well I guess it will match the other one, which I have to run in reverse. But in that case the insert is at fault. This one is the fault strictly of myself!

Wait a minute -- yes, yes it was the in-laws distracting me......

(suppose I could add another pocket on the other side...   Oh well!)

dsquire:

--- Quote from: vtsteam on August 29, 2013, 07:33:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: Arbalist on August 29, 2013, 06:10:55 PM ---Is the insert on the right side or will you run it counter clockwise?

--- End quote ---

Ha! Well I guess it will match the other one, which I have to run in reverse. But in that case the insert is at fault. This one is the fault strictly of myself!

Wait a minute -- yes, yes it was the in-laws distracting me......

(suppose I could add another pocket on the other side...   Oh well!)

--- End quote ---

Steve

Just add another pocket on the other side and call it a universal carbide mill.  :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version