Author Topic: Fixed my roof  (Read 8484 times)

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
Fixed my roof
« on: September 02, 2013, 02:37:37 PM »

Roof on the workshop is fixed :)

I just need to order soffits and facia boards (upvc) and refit the gutters, but at least it's now waterproof.

I've decided to reclad the walls with the metal box section panels too as I'm very pleased with the quality of them.

Now I can start reorganising the interior, have decided to keep it as just a workshop and not a garage as it previously was. I'm going to put up a large car port for the car so it gives me much more room for workshop stuff.
Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Fixed my roof
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 02:48:12 PM »
  :lol: :lol: Pound to a penny the car port will end up 'temporary storage' for the workshop  :lol: :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 03:01:57 PM »

You know me well, yet we have never met.
Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »
Hi there, B³,

That looks very good.  I'm quite envious, while I've been concentrating on my tin shed project, the workshop roof has developed a leak, right over the tailstock end of the lathe swarf tray!  I can see where the water is coming in inside but I can't find any defect in the felt up on top.   :bang:   :bang:   :bang: 

Having looked at the price of roofing felt, I'm considering re-roofing with the same sort of box section steel sheets as you have used.  The snag is, they really need to be fixed to timbers that run along the roof (purlins?) rather than rafters running down the slope - that would require a fairly substantial alteration to my roof structure. 

Your photo seems to show timbers in both rafter AND purlin orientation.  Please could you tell us a bit more about what's under your steel sheets?  Did you happen to take any photos at that stage?

I envy you the size of your workshop - it makes my modest 12' x 8' look like a sentry box!    :drool:   :drool:   :drool: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:53:54 PM »

the workshop is 26'x15'

the rafters are 16' long 8x2, i used the old 4x2 rafters as purlins placed on their sides and spaced every 3'.

there are 8 sheets of metal box profile, each is 16' long and cost just under £500 with all the tek screws and caps. The wood cost £200. So im quite pleased with what i have for £700.

ill take some pics from inside if you like tomorrow.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 03:44:09 AM »
Hi there, B³,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, please, I'd like to see more detail of the roof timber-work.

Did you buy the steel sheets & fixings locally or did you use one of the firms who list on eBay? 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 05:43:40 AM »

Sheets are from rhino steel cladding, I found them on eBay but didn't order from eBay, I phoned then direct and got advice on the phone. Found them really helpful.

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 11:44:49 AM »

Here's an internal shot...

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 12:44:32 PM »
Good job.

Have you laid cross hair on any particular milling machine yet?

Pekka

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 02:36:51 PM »

Top of the list is one from amadeal.

http://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/R8_Spindle.html

I just missed out on a cheap warco wm15 on another forum, guy wants £100 for it as its in bits but all there. Was beaten too it by another member, sale still might fall through though but I doubt it. :(

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »
nice workshop  :thumbup: and to think I was proud as anything about my 6mX3m and now it feels small  :drool:
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »
nice workshop  :thumbup: and to think I was proud as anything about my 6mX3m and now it feels small  :drool:

big shop, big mess.

im a bugger for not keeping it tidy.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 05:53:09 PM »
I am the same but to be fair I havent had my shop long and have been too busy enjoying it to think about making things tidy, have grandaughter carousel on the go, fixing up a rusty vw campervan and making a start on a power hacksaw.
With all that who has time to sweep up :lol:
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 03:07:46 AM »
...big shop, big mess.

im a bugger for not keeping it tidy.

I find it easier to keep big place organized. Whole lot more chance of finding a big strong storage selfing that can be fitted with sorage boxes (all sortted and labeled). When stuff is just piled up on the floor or table top it really monopolizes the whole room.

The problem comes when there is any vacant place and then it is used as "temporary storage" or any other use. We renovate one room at the time and one bedroom is doomed to be a "temporary storage" because I will not store any stuff into my gararage/shop anymore. We even got rid of some fourniture, because we ended up mooving them from one room into another one.

Pekka

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 09:35:18 AM »
Good job! All my roofs are similar, including the house. Although in snow country, rafters are 2 x 12's and pitch is close to 9 in 12. But purlins 2 x 4's on flat just like yours.

One tip if someone else does similar job but on a more "utilitarian" building without facia and soffits -- use short sections of 2 by (with vents) as bird stops to space the outer ends of your rafters. Locate them under where a purlin will go. They don't have to be beveled but the corner should just touch the purlin. It's a lot easier putting those in before adding purlins and sheathing than fitting them after, and it helps space rafters evenly. Learned the hard way on my first shed .....  :)
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg