Author Topic: How to Put Attached Images In-line in Your Posts  (Read 7437 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
How to Put Attached Images In-line in Your Posts
« on: September 27, 2022, 12:03:19 PM »
One of the reasons I have in the past used linked photos in my posts was because I could place them full sized in-line with the text. In the past, attached images on the forum only appeared as clickable thumbnails at the end of a post.

You can now attach your image and make it appear full size inline in your post!

Like this relevant image below:

This capability removes most of the appearance disadvantages of attaching your posts on the forum.

BUT, in order not to mess up the  thread column size, Please, Please, Please..... shrink all images to 800 pixels wide, or narrower for our forum, especially if you place inline.

Also if you are attaching an actual photograph, please convert it to a jpeg (.jpg) before attaching, if it is a png.

If it is a graphic or line art, a png type file is fine, but a lossless png photograph is approximately 5 times as large as an equivalent appearing jpg.

This will greatly assist lowering the forum's storage needs, bandwidth used, and page loading speed for users on slower connections. THX!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 09:21:46 AM by vtsteam »
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline ddmckee54

Re: Putting Images In-line
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 04:01:26 PM »

PS. Please, Please, Please..... shrink all images to 800 pixels wide, or narrower for our forum, especially if you place inline. THX!

I always thought 640 x 480 was the preferred dimensions when re-sizing images.
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Putting Images In-line
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 07:42:01 PM »
Up to and including 800 wide is fine. Vertical length is not restricted.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 10:25:07 PM by vtsteam »
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline sorveltaja

Re: How to Put Attached Images In-line in Your Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 12:14:04 PM »
Back when my internet provider offered an option to store users files on their server, I used to click 'Insert image' -button, when adding an image.

But now, when such service doesn't exist anymore, I still used same method to attach image as before, and wondered why they appear on the bottom side of the message.

Just recently I figured that out - don't use 'Insert image' button, unless you have an external address that holds the image.

Instead use only 'insert attachment' option, which Steve described in the first post.

Simple trick, which helps greatly to keep the structure of message the way the user intends.