Author Topic: Mending tools to mend tools to mend tools  (Read 11906 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Mending tools to mend tools to mend tools
« on: September 06, 2013, 09:30:47 AM »
OK I decided I wanted to bend up a replacement swarf guard for the big Traub lathe - present one has gouges in where someone has had an accident. Only cosmetic but ...... well you know me by now  :ddb:

SO - I decide my current bender is slightly too small - good excuse to up grade   :thumbup:

SO - The FJ Edwards bender comes on the scene - rebuild progressing well (paint arrived today but it's raining  :bang: )

SO - the bender needs a 2" long 5/8" BSF grub screw - can't source one - lets make one

SO - obvious way of cutting the hex recess is my Die Sinker EDM machine - not used for s few months

SO - steam up the EDM - electrolyte pouring out all over the place - turns out the bellows that seal the rise and fall tank have perished - looking up the records I last changed them in October 2005

SO - Need new bellows - no use having machine in less than good condition. Only one source for bellows so the price hurts BIG TIME. However new bellows on order (lucky I sold that other CNC lathe!)

Now what about topping up the lurid green fluorescent EDM electrolyte - better order some more. Ah, well perhaps not ..... smallest drum is 60 litres for £245 plus the government extortion of VAT.  :bugeye:

As I said to the bloke at the suppliers, I'll put some stones in the reservoir to bring the level up  :clap: :clap:

(I'll start a photo-thread about stripping the EDM and installing the bellows when they arrive)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

lordedmond

Re: Mending tools to mend tools to mend tools
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 10:01:16 AM »
to many machines me thinks would have been cheaper to sub out the tin works but as you say no fun in that   :D

I thought you would have been able to get the Vodka And Tonic back from the revenue dept ( or better known as  Dick Turpins mob )

I have to consider what jobs I take on now two crutches or wheels curtail the bigger jobs

Stuart

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 03:22:32 PM »
No Stuart, this is a hobby, not VAT registered, never have been, never want the associated paperwork - hey I'm retired and in my dotage  :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
Hi there, Andrew,

SNIP

Now what about topping up the lurid green fluorescent EDM electrolyte - better order some more. Ah, well perhaps not ..... smallest drum is 60 litres for £245 plus the government extortion of VAT.  :bugeye:

As I said to the bloke at the suppliers, I'll put some stones in the reservoir to bring the level up  :clap: :clap:

(I'll start a photo-thread about stripping the EDM and installing the bellows when they arrive)

Do you know the recipe for that lurid green fluorescent EDM electrolyte?  Is it so special you can't home-brew?
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 07:22:38 PM »
Drill the end of the 5/8" grub screw, tap 1/2" whit and loctite a 1/2" whit grub screw into that.

OK size smaller on the key but at least it has the sought after hex in it.
John Stevenson

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 09:54:07 PM »
Good idea putting two together!

Could you screw two 5/8" grub screws into a nut until they contact (to line up the threads), clamp both ends (so they can't rotate, and stay in contact), unscrew the nut towards one end to reveal the joint,  and then braze it -- or weld if you're good at that. Turn the joint to major diam, then run it through a die to clean up the thread?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 03:09:30 AM »
Pete: The EDM fluid is a very special formulation - not feasible for homebrewing I think. - it is the "IonoPlus IME-MH" on this page:

http://www.oelheld.com/products/metal-working-fluids/dielectric/ionoplus-dielectric.html

I do have enough to get the job done but it won't last forever.

John: Yes that was one approach I'd thought of, but this EDM machine will sink me a hex or "I'll want to know the reason why "

Steve: I did consider that but then realised that the end the I would be extending didn't need thread anyway. I have a feeling I'll just make a complete grub screw -  I'm pretty sure I've got the 5/8 BSF threading gear as a set for a die head, and must have a suitable bit of HT kicking about in  all my junk.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 07:16:49 AM »
I think I'd have hacksawed a slot in the end by now & used a flat-blade screwdriver to install said grub screw....
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 08:47:04 AM »
Well the good part about all the work is, it'll be interesting to read about and watch here!  :thumbup:  :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 10:01:09 AM »
Adev, the grub screw is really just an incidental - I could use the folder with the existing one. However I will mend it and any other of my machines that fall by the wayside while I'm on the way to mending it.

Steve: Yes I'm going to bore you to death with posts about making grub screws, finishing the folder AND mending the EDM machine :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

And in the end hopefully you will also see posts of widget production which is pretty close now. Still waiting on the bar puller from Israel - seems they sent the wrong paperwork and UK customs have impounded it  :bang:

Meanwhile I'm sitting in a bit of wood near a place called Slindon in West Sussex where we are having a few days break in the wifes Motorhome
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 10:52:17 AM »
Keep on boring us, we must be masochist, apparently, I'm not the only one who likes your threads about tools to mend tools to mend tools!

Regards, Matthew