Author Topic: Modding for domestic bliss  (Read 7775 times)

Offline Pete.

Modding for domestic bliss
« on: September 12, 2013, 01:58:22 PM »
My wife has been complaining about the thin rope for hauling up the washing line hurting her hands when she's hanging out the washing. Also, the line poles are 30yrs old and rusting through and I've had to get rid of the rotary line she used for small stuff when I gave the garden a makeover this year, so I decided to do the whole lot over.

Firstly I needed two new line poles. Not as easy as you'd think to bring a long tube home but fate stepped in when next door's roof lost some of it's flashing. They had a scaffold built then when they came back to strike it I bribed the two scaffs with £15 and eight cans of Kronenbourg to leave behind a pair of newish 15ft tubes.

Now for some rope. Lady luck came shining through again when I got the job pf dismantling  a pair of large window cradle suspension units. They included a couple of hundred feet of really nice half inch rope (used for traversing the machine and winching the cradle) and various pulleys so I grabbed an assortment of those and stuffed them in my bag to bring home, much to the amusement of the site staff.

I wanted a way of making it easy for my wife to pull up and secure the line. The old line poles had an iron cleat that you wound the rope round in a figure eight, but that was awkward and meant holding the weight of the washing so I figured if I could make a clamp that she could easily tighten with one hand it would be a lot better. The rope joiner I just machine out of a bit of ally bar. I tapped a m6 hole int he end about 20mm deep, folded the end of the new line over and screwed it into the thread, then clamped it with a couple of m4 grub screws - it ain't coming out. The rope ends are clamped tight with a M8 grub screw. The taped-up ends I left long temporarily in case it stretched and I had to pull some slack out of the rope. After a while I'll cut them back neat.

So here's what I ended up with. I made the rope clamps by drilling and milling the end of a pair of monitor support arms. The clamp bolts are salvaged off a scrapped wood lathe I bought for the motor, the rest I either made or salvaged off the cleaning cradle.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:28:39 PM by Pete. »

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Modding for domestic bliss
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »
Looks good but I don't get it? - I ""can't"" do the washing, don't know how  :whip: but does this pull up and hang out your washing into the air like a flag pole? Sorry for my neivity!

Offline Pete.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 03:04:10 PM »
The washing line is 18m long and strung between two poles with the same setup on each. In the last pic you can see the green line - that's what the washing hangs on. The rope & pulley  is just an easy to use loop to haul the line up and down both ends.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
Ahhh and now it all makes sense!! Nice work.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 03:16:29 PM »
Pete

The little lady will truly love you now.  :clap:

Doing the laundry is hard enough without having to fight with the washline every time.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 03:29:36 PM »
Modding for domestic bliss is one of my favorite things. I usually get to figure out something that makes my wife's (or anyone else in my family) easier. Makes her happy. Makes me happy. and then it justifies the tools in the garage!

Right on!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »
Modding for domestic bliss is one of my favorite things. I usually get to figure out something that makes my wife's (or anyone else in my family) easier. Makes her happy. Makes me happy. and then it justifies the tools in the garage!

Right on!

Eric

Eric

You got that right. If Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Pete49

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:27:40 PM »
Still can't beat the old hills hoist. New version is fold up andremovable so the area can be used for play or whatever. A great Aussie invention.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 01:00:21 AM »
You fold and remove the Hills Hoist? You lousy bugger! What are the kids going to swing on now when Mum isn't looking.
And they are good for tennis practice if you hang a ball from them on a piece of rope.

What's a backyard without a Hills Hoist?

Jim

Offline Pete.

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 04:02:56 AM »
For £200 they can keep it.

My recycled line carries more washing higher up, doesn't clutter the lawn kill the grass or get in the way of the mower :)