Author Topic: The shop press of doooom.. (no kidding, this will be a slow'n'long project. )  (Read 6428 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
So i have figured i want a hydraulic shop press i want it to be able to press tools and dies. And i researched it for a day.. Its bloody expensive. So i asked a friend in the big ass machinery bizniz ( yes its the official term ) if he had a 20 ton or so hydraulic ram lying around. And that he had. It needed some modifications…. This is what he dumped on my drive way…

The idea will be to take it apart, cut the top bottom part of the housing so i have the "ear" left.. And then cut as much as needed to remove from the housing.. This thing is about 180cm, and weighs well above 160kg.. The piston diameter is about 120mm in diameter.. So i figure it will do.. i guess.. its free anyway.. ;)
Suggestions on frame?! I will make the stroke length on this about 400-500mm.. its not an exact science..
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline micktoon

Are you sure that will be big enough for your needs  :bugeye:  :D , You will need to build a crane to move your ram first  :palm: , It looks a nice bit of kit so should make a nice press in the end.
  I look forward to seeing it getting constructed  :thumbup:.
  Cheers Mick

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Yeah well crane would be nice.. got one lying around?? ;)

Ah well i have figured i need to conjour up a way of cutting it really straight without having a cold saw. ;)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline tom osselton

Hmmm I tryed cutting a shaft once and ripped the teeth of of my saw!  :doh:

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Yeah the shafts is usually surface hardened, like 5-6mm into the material.. Only way i have been able to cut these in the past have been with an abrasive cutting saw and alot of patience and/or a cutting torch. Im gonna try this with an abrasive saw once again cause i dont have a acetylen torch only my 6mm cutting depth plasma cutter. ;|

Offline Pete W.

Hi there, Neotech,

Are you intending that the ram will press downwards or upwards?

If upwards, you wouldn't need to cut it - you could dig a hole in the workshop floor.

Of course, you'd need to incorporate a very reliable limit switch to control the stroke.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
hehe dig a hole in the floor has been suggested before.  :coffee:
And cut a hole in the ceiling.  :coffee:

Nah it will stroke upwards, i have 1.80cm ceiling height, solid concrete floor and concrete roof in my workshop (its a basement) I need to get about 500-600mm stroke.. So i think i just shortened it as much as needed still getting the articulation i want to.

Been trying to scavenge some HEP or HEB steel profiles from a local industry i have access to, but seems to be hard atm. I have also consiered large square tubing like 120-140mm in square for the frame. Cause those i can butt weld a plate onto drill and thread for large bolts and i would have a frame i could take apart easily for moving.

For tables and "roof" of the press im thinking 20mm steel plate of some mildsteel that easily welded, machined and can be swapped out when banged up for not that much money..  Make note the press will be used for different things, but draw die, punch die and shaping metals will be the first order of buisness.. seems it could be used as a forge press as well if proper tooling is made.

Offline PekkaNF

Body: How about big long bolts (or studs) between back to back UPN profiles? You know how much tension bolts will get and joint will be standard bolted joint. No complication there.

Pekka