Author Topic: Gear Box Lubrication  (Read 5898 times)

Offline velocette

Gear Box Lubrication
« on: September 15, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »
Hi
On retirement I purchased a Lathe  BV25B-L second hand as a hobby machine to Keep me active.
Running at top speed was impossible due to the "Beargrease" in the headstock bearings had gone hard.
Cleaned it out re assembled  the spindle.
Not very convinced that the splash feed on the low speed was adequate decided to add an oil pump and filter.
This  is what I came up with and would like to share the results.

The oil pump is a gear pump that is driven by a 24 volt DC motor power from a transfomer with a DC rectifier.

The power supply is approximately 6volts DC fed to the motor to give a reduced speed.
The oil from the gearbox is passed through a trap that catches any particles bigger
than  0.010 mm or .004 inch.
Through the pump and then an automotive oil filter to feed the manifold to feed bearings and gears.     

The “Manifold” is fabricated from two pieces of Clear polycarbonate sheet 10mm thick
with the oil galleries milled into the top sheet.
 And screwed together with a thin strip of “Super Glue” to seal the outer edge where the boltholes to fix the lid in place.

The underside is drilled and a short piece of plastic tubing push fitted to deliver oil to bearings and gears.

Have added a couple of photos the black dots are the oil delivery ports.

Eric

Offline clevinski

Re: Gear Box Lubrication
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 09:29:16 PM »
Eric,

I've got to say that is a really nice solution!  I'm going to file it away for when I may need it one day.  I especially like the idea of making the manifold out of two pieces of polycarbonate with the paths milled out.

Thanks!
Charlie
Thanks,
Charlie

Offline Noitoen

Re: Gear Box Lubrication
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
My old lathe, the spindle was "clutch operated" so, the motor was always running. The oil pump was of the "piston type", driven by a cam on the main shaft. The oil also flowed through some channels to the various points.