Author Topic: Can't take it anymore...  (Read 19791 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Can't take it anymore...
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2013, 06:48:40 AM »
I have been drooling ovet that kind of mill/drill for years, but never had courage to buy one. MT3 and 300-400 kg would sound ok to me. Once almost bough on Warco or Axminster, but then they startted downsizing at the work and risk of buying bad iron on bad times made me feeble.

This morning it was around 0C and all week pretty much +5C. I have been also moving stuff from garden shed into garage....not very apealing, but whole lot easier that after a few months and risking of gropping something into 40 cm of snow.

Pekka

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2013, 08:22:23 AM »
Exactly Pekka, this time of year forces us to plan and act, or we won't have anything to work on for 6 months. Not unusual for us to have 600-1200 cm of snow on the ground in mid winter, and good luck finding anything left outdoors. Temps have just about reached 0C here at night for the last few days after that cold front passed.

I was lucky to find my mill-drill on ebay, poorly described and categorized, so mine was the only bid - $450. The ad said the drawbar had been broken and welded, which must have turned others off. That was the only thing it said about condition. I don't know why that was made a point of -- it works fine, and it's probably an hour's work to make a new one if it's an issue. Other than that the mill looked practically new when I picked it up!

Storage for 3 years in damp conditions while I worked has cracked and flaked off the paint from the Chinese bondo, so it has looked pretty bad this last year. And mice built a nest in the column. That's why I've been so anxious to move it and paint it. It's a feeling of relief to get it in the shop and clean and painted.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »
:lol: :lol: It's that dodgy climate you live in.  :lol: :lol:

:ddb:  Need to move to a nice temperate one like the UK  :ddb:

True enough Andrew. Spent a winter in the UK about 1969, loved it, not just the weather. Have returned for visits a couple times since. My wife went to school there for awhile also, same feeling for your neck of the woods and the people she knew. Sure we'd come over. I just don't know how I'd pack the mill drill in with the luggage! Guess we're here for the count, now.
Steve

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2013, 10:42:25 AM »
Better come over for Holiday then. Can put the three (?) of you up and find a few machines for you to play with to stop you getting bored.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2013, 07:49:45 PM »
Thank you Andrew, that would be truly great. But the reality is it may be a long while before we can travel like that again. But I'm sure it would be wonderful to visit.  :beer:
Steve

Offline Sid_Vicious

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2013, 04:33:22 PM »
WOW you must have a lot of snow in your part of the world :bugeye: quoted:Not unusual for us to have 600-1200 cm of snow''
I would hate to shovel around on between six and twelve meters of snow. :poke:
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2013, 04:35:32 PM »
Don't be too sympathetic on Steve. He can dig snow tunnels between his workshops igloos, and travel in comfort from one to the other  :ddb: :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2013, 05:09:36 PM »
WOW you must have a lot of snow in your part of the world :bugeye: quoted:Not unusual for us to have 600-1200 cm of snow''

decimal trouble...... :palm:

uh..... mm.
Steve

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2013, 06:00:58 AM »

decimal trouble...... :palm:

uh..... mm.

I did noticed, but I was assuming he got comma a bit wrong - same than what I get for few months...nominally 30-40 cm, but some winters we get whole lot more and because I need to showel the snow off the driveway (which gets it's own share and then some extra from the roof). Uslually I'll end up having about 1,2 metres of white **** just outside of the house. I remember one winter middle finland, we got some serious snow. I think official measurement was 1,5 m on the lake. I have seen some pictures of north america and japan...boy they can really get some snow.
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/where-does-the-deepest-snow-on-earth-accumulate

Nevertheless, not too nice to drop nuts from the engine on the snow when fixing Ford outside. Why does Ford always breaks when it's winter. never in summer.

Pekka