Author Topic: Language in Videos  (Read 12328 times)

Offline nel2lar

Language in Videos
« on: September 25, 2013, 09:20:58 PM »
I have kept up with your build on utube. It sparked an interest to me because I built the same dividing head in the 90's. The only thing with mine is, it did not finish because I put it on a shelf and forgot it. You made a very nice, attachment and I admit that, but you could have left out all them BOSTARD's  you belched out all the time. I seen you sporting one of Keith hats, and I'll bet you never hear that on his videos. Why do we have to use so much potty mouth. There are far too many words in the english language that we should resolve to use them. I don't want you to be mad just clean it up some. I would not let my children see them because of it. 

Nelson Collar

Offline allanchrister

Re: Language in Videos
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 06:14:47 AM »
Nelson,

I guess this may be the first response to your message to John asking him to 'clean up his language on the videos for your children's sake'.  John brings a lot of expertise, time and effort into making his videos for forum members enjoyment, and the reality of working in a workshop is not the same as a kindergarden. Leave him alone, and I for one, would be devastated if John's real world progress was 'cleaned up'.  I eagerly await his next video....including his 'bastard', 'twat' , 'bugger'  comments, and his belches and farts.  That's John, that's life, and we love him for showing it....at least I do.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 06:22:06 AM »
I have kept up with your build on utube. It sparked an interest to me because I built the same dividing head in the 90's. The only thing with mine is, it did not finish because I put it on a shelf and forgot it. You made a very nice, attachment and I admit that, but you could have left out all them BOSTARD's  you belched out all the time. I seen you sporting one of Keith hats, and I'll bet you never hear that on his videos. Why do we have to use so much potty mouth. There are far too many words in the english language that we should resolve to use them. I don't want you to be mad just clean it up some. I would not let my children see them because of it. 

Nelson Collar

You're having a giraffe surely ? 
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 06:25:51 AM »
Hear, hear! Allan :-)

John's language is fine -

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:00:29 AM by BillTodd »
Bill

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 10:04:10 AM »

It wouldn't be the same without the expletives.

Go and watch teletubbies if you prefer clean language.

Real life is lifelike. ;)
Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 11:16:16 AM »

It wouldn't be the same without the expletives.

Go and watch teletubbies if you prefer clean language.

Real life is lifelike. ;)
I agree.  We can protect our children from things that hurt them, but they will at one time or other see real life without us there to filter it for them. Better to teach them right from wrong, and teach them the difference, than to raise them in a sterile bubble.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 02:13:26 PM »

Nelson Collar

I have to disagree. I am also raising a child. These things are part of real life. The important thing is to teach your child(ren) what is appropriate as a child to say and what is not. They will here "bad" language. It is how they react and digest it that is more important.

Besides, John really didn't say anything foul.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 02:55:06 PM »
Hi
Lads
Some interesting points have been made
I did not think my language was that bad
You here much worse on early evening tv
This is the first complaint I have ever had
I have 4000 subscribers and have had nearly 9 million views
You will never here me swear properly (you tube wont allow it)
Only once was a proper swear word used (in a out take with a warning first)
No way will I be changing my style of video presentation
John

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 03:18:50 PM »
Don't change a thing, John. You are a great presenter, and I greatly enjoy your videos.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline DavidA

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 03:35:44 PM »
About fifty yard from my garden is a childrens play area. And when sat out I can hear the little darlings at their best.  B*****d is a very mild expletive by their standard. So I wouldn't worry too much.

By the time the kids are old enough to appreciate the finer points of John's videos they will have decided what form of language to use.  Much worst is part of the daily feed from TV.

It's amazing just how resilient the little devils are.

Dave

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »
As you said John  " AS seen on tv " maybe yell incoming beforehand.  Anyone including the ladies use colourful words to discribe both joy and disapointment. Besides they have probably heard them from "Dad"  I know I did and he wasn't a curser, looking back brings a smile.

Offline nel2lar

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
John
It saddens me to think you are not bigger than something like that. It does not matter what the other guy does it about what I do that matters. I thought it might make a difference on who you are. Words used in place of bad words is just as bad as using them yourself. The bad thing about it you recognize it is wrong by writing it this way b@&^@*d or like in a previous message b*****d.

John, I just that you were bigger than that.
Nelson Collar

Hi
Lads
Some interesting points have been made
I did not think my language was that bad
You here much worse on early evening tv
This is the first complaint I have ever had
I have 4000 subscribers and have had nearly 9 million views
You will never here me swear properly (you tube wont allow it)
Only once was a proper swear word used (in a out take with a warning first)
No way will I be changing my style of video presentation
John

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 04:32:08 PM »
Nelson

Back in July last year you said:

"Sound like a lot of guy have there panties in a wade. Why are we on the attack or is it just jealousy? We all have our short comings and at the same time we have ares we shine. Why we attack something someone does because we thing its wrong, well shame on you. When machinist first cut there teeth in the shops, the machinist with the experience would not teach. What was learned was on your own, and some was smart enough to make it. Any one can cut steal or any other metal with the right tool. And I've seen a many mouse traps and they all worked. Climb down from your thrones and enjoy life, it will be over before you know it."
Nelson Collar

Seems to me that you don't practice what you preach

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline nel2lar

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »
Andrew
I eat that and yes I do practice what I say. I was offended and thought that I would make a point about the behavior I feel is not necessary.

Offline Sid_Vicious

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »
I have enjoyed and learned a lot from John's videos and laughed of what on the forum has bin described as his catchphrase... In my opinion it's the same as with a tv show. If you don't like it, see another or change channel. 

So Doubleboost keep'em coming and don't change anything.  :thumbup:
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »
 Well I think Nelson is entitled to make comment and why not if it annoys him but I must say like everyone else that has commented I have enjoyed all Johns videos and the fact that he is being himself in his videos gives them character and makes them more interesting and amusing in my view. After all, as seems to be being proved here, his target audience is blokes in their workshops who will say all the same phrases as John  :bugeye: when doing projects. I would vote for John to keep doing as he has been in his videos.
 Being serious if Nelson wants to show his kids some machining on Youtube there are lots of other videos he could watch with kids and if the kids were just roaming Youtube on their own at an age to appreciate machining I really do think that the odd mildly colourful language from John would not even register on the scale of what you would want kids not to see ! Meanwhile John is giving plenty viewers a change from the very straight laced stuff and a giggle along the way not to mention still demonstrating the methods used really well.
 As some may know , I know John as he is local to me ( I can understand every word he says  :thumbup: ) I know he does put a lot of effort into his videos and does like to keep them real but light hearted and what you see is what you get. All I can add is he is a really decent bloke all round and I know for sure if John was making a video on how to make a finger puppet aimed at young kids he would take a different angle on it but he is making videos for lads like himself overall and with all due respect to Nelson , I think 99% of his viewers think he has got it spot on.
  I would be saying this if I had never met John in my life and just seen his videos .................... so keep up the good work I say  :clap:

Cheers Mick

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 05:57:45 PM »
I learned a lot from John's videos. Before I didn't know how to properly pronounce those words. Now I do and they sound a lot better then the American versions.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 06:05:14 PM »
vtsteam i even suggested his vids for a guy on youtube for the skyhook thing, he thought it was awsome, but couldnt decrypt what was said and had to abandon the project. : :offtopic:   :lol:
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline nel2lar

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 06:12:37 PM »
To all you riding my butt. I made a request and to John, and you all thought it was the worst thing in the world. I said I thought he could do better than that. My grandfather drilled into my head that only uneducated people us words like that. The English language has far too many words to express our maddness when we do something stupid. And if you are reasonable and look at it, it is every time something goes wrong. We all make mistakes, but it is no reason to belch out what ever we think is all right. I will make the same comment as I did before. He knows it is not right, or he would write right, NOT, "ba&^%$£d".
If he never does anything, I will not stop watching his videos or write the reply to his threads. Every one has there right to their own opinion, I just put mine out there, with out all the potty mouth. This is the last I will write in responce to my comment. Get over it and move on.

If it had been a compliment everything would have been fine.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 07:07:21 PM »
Perhaps the problem is that using condemnatory and accusing language about another person causes a reaction back that is similar.

It's possible to say you don't like something without doing that, if you express it as purely your own feeling, rather than that there is something wrong with somebody else.

Saying someone is uneducated, calling it potty mouth etc. is judgemental, and in its own way, insulting. Remove the judgemental language and then it's just a matter of taste, and personality.

And it is possible for others to accept that (in fact very desirable) and to just say "different people are different."

People are different. It doesn't mean they can't get along despite that. I can easily accept that you don't like to hear some words, and I bet others can as well.

Likewise I hope you can accept that others don't see things or react the same way you do. If you stick to the things you like and don't participate in those you don't it shouldn't be a problem.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline sparky961

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 11:24:12 PM »
Oh I should stay out of this one for sure but I'm on my phone so by necessity it will be brief.  I promise to use punctuation though.

I'm with the majority here in thinking there's a fuss being made over nothing.  Maybe that's the point.

Sure there are more eloquent vocabulary choices, and I have to say it isn't as funny as the first time I watched the sand core video, but the fact remains that the videos give high quality info in an entertaining way.

I made no promises to avoid run on sentences.

Please, everyone, keep this thread civil.  That's why this is the only forum of which I'm an active member.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 12:28:55 AM »
Please, everyone, keep this thread civil.  That's why this is the only forum of which I'm an active member.

I second that.
Science is fun.

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2013, 03:42:57 AM »
Get a life,there's nowt wrong with the language,

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 03:57:14 AM »

Yes very much so - many forums have degenerated into slanging matches and are no longer fun to participate in.

We are all different and get annoyed by different things. Many is the time that I have cringed at the atrocious spelling and incorrect use of language on this forum - 'confusing 'there' with 'their' 'us' instead or 'use' etc etc but it would be counter productive to comment so I keep it to myself !

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2013, 05:01:06 AM »

I second that ,  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, heaven forbid John has to use a Bastard file  :dremel: in one of his videos .   

Rob

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 05:05:40 AM »
At least he doesn't use EXTRA VIRGIN OIL as cutting fluid.

:ddb: But come to think of it he was looking for whale oil in one of the videos  :ddb:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2013, 05:47:59 AM »
In days of old the best steel was made by forging and quenching in virgins blood.

Probably why we have so much crap steel around today as the last known sighting of a virgin was on the works outing to Cadburys in 1938, History doesn't tells us though where she was a virgin on the way back.

John S.
Who doesn't do PC, H&S, ironing or sheet metal work.
John Stevenson

lordedmond

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 06:24:53 AM »
Or how about using the BFH for hitting things with or tightening bolts up FT

please insert your best expletive to ensure the message gets across

good job he does not live in Scunthorpe   :Doh:

John keep up the very good and very informative vid's

Stuart

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 08:18:38 AM »
When I saw the "Subject" I thought that the language was German or another language and someone needs help...Now I see that English language is very confusing. Do I need to excuse (my) French?

I found many videos very informative and inspiring. Specially John's.

I don't quite follow what is the big idea on this starting post.

PekkaNF

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 08:21:26 AM »

I second that ,  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, heaven forbid John has to use a Bastard file  :dremel: in one of his videos .   

Rob

The Swiss even label them, in case you hadn't noticed.

Best to avoid Willy Waggadagger's plays too. One of the characters in 'King John' is Philip the Bastard.

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2013, 09:19:15 AM »
In days of old the best steel was made by forging and quenching in virgins blood.

Probably why we have so much crap steel around today as the last known sighting of a virgin was on the works outing to Cadburys in 1938, History doesn't tells us though where she was a virgin on the way back.

John S.

I saw a picture of one in a book once.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2013, 10:26:18 AM »

John S.

I saw a picture of one in a book once.

I hope it wasn't one of those 'top shelf' ones :)

BTW I won't let my kids watch one of John's videos either. I don't want them thinking I'm weird :D

Off to buy GTA5 for my grandson :)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »
Ok. I think we have all had our say and have gotten it out of our system.

Thanks for keeping civil, but I am locking it now.

Eric
Science is fun.