Author Topic: Lagun Republic Gearbox Rebuild  (Read 5168 times)

Offline Billy T

• Billy...
Lagun Republic Gearbox Rebuild
« on: June 29, 2014, 12:29:29 AM »
Gearbox Dismantle Lagun 14 x 40 Republic Lathe
When I started thinking about tearing into this job, I could not find any info on the net whatsoever, no manuals no parts drawings no videos.

This video is my attempt to put at least something out there. I realize that this video is not well done, buy quite literally better than nothing.

I've learnt a lot from watching other guys making videos, guys like John "DoubleBoost"  Tom, Adam, Keith etc :worthy: for example, but have a long way to go yet.

if you do take the time to watch, please subscribe, comment, like to the video.

Lagun Republic Gearbox Rebuild part 1

Lagun Republic Gearbox Rebuild part 2

Lagun Republic Gearbox Rebuild part 2.5

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:02:23 AM by dsquire »
Billy..

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Lagun Republic Gearbox Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 01:55:56 AM »
Hello Billy

Good to see you over here as well as on Metalworkingfun - welcome aboard

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 02:04:22 AM »
Hi Billy

Thanks for showing us your dilemma, what rotten luck. It does show that anyone purchasing a second hand lathe that it is worth removing the headstock cover to inspect before purchase. You certainly do not expect what you have discovered. Re building using those suspect gears, could only make things worse, apart from having new gears cut, the only thing I can suggest is to look out for anyone scrapping the same model of  your lathe.

Commiserations  David

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »
I have seen gears repaired by drilling and tapping for a set screw then building up with braze to form the teeth.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 06:49:43 AM »
Hi Billy and welcome to MadModder, that Lagun looks to be a serious piece of kit and well worth the effort to repair properly.

Considering the size/power and work capacity of your machine I would recommend replacing the broken gears with genuine Lagun items or newly cut gears.

Can you see any evidence of what caused the broken gears,such as a bearing breaking up or another component coming adrift and getting wedged between the gear teeth?

I found this link below to Lagun lathes site and there is a contact for spares so maybe get a quote from them.....OZ.
http://www.lagun.com/republic-lathes.php

Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up