Author Topic: Mods to a Dividing Head  (Read 4941 times)

Offline chipenter

Mods to a Dividing Head
« on: October 05, 2013, 02:49:13 AM »
I have just got out of hospital and am not allowed to do any heavy work , I have had this indexing head for thirty years it came with four disks 24,30,36 and 42 divisions , as I make clocks this wasn't enough so I made an attachment for dividing a 30 to 1 worm from a burnt out motor but it has backlash , I decided to improve it needed a new worm to fit my 20dp change gears so I set the lath up before the opp to just turn handles and push buttons .
Jeff

Offline chipenter

Re: Mods to a Dividing Head
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:31:11 PM »
I was surprised to find that the angle when the worm was clamped to the wheel was only 3 degrees , set the frame over and drilled for the spindle and milled a slot in the head , I can fit 35 ,40 ,45 and 50 change wheels I haven't done all the calks yet but I get more numbers from my 30 wheel so modified that to fit as well , so why are dividing heads usually 40 to 1 if you get more divisions from a 30 or 60 to 1 ratio ?
Jeff

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 03:25:26 PM »
I thought 60 to 1 was the favored ratio.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »
Well I suppose 60 can do all that 30 can do. We need John S to chip in here as he's done lots of work hobbing gears and worms for rotary tables

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline chipenter

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 04:47:23 PM »
Well I know Ellis and Vertex are 40 to 1 , still punching numbers in the calculator in fits and starts .

Jeff
Jeff