Author Topic: Bad Weather  (Read 3669 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Bad Weather
« on: October 07, 2013, 02:57:56 PM »
We've had some unusual weather this year -- rain for weeks in Spring and a drought in later summer, but the weather warning radio just popped on and announced a tornado watch. Checking NOAA online also revealed a flood warning and a high wind warning and a somewhat concerning radar image. A line of really heavy stuff moving east very fast when I played the loop. Well, this should be interesting....

We're about where the Rte. 91 symbol is, east of Bennington, so on a direct path for the thick of it.

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline DavidA

Re: Bad Weather
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »
VT,

Do you get many tornados in Vermont ? Not the place I would expect to here about in that respect.

Either way,  tie everything down ,  and good luck.

Dave.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:26:13 PM »
Baton down the hatches, check that your fuel tanks are full and the standby generator works. Make sure all the torches have good batteries and fill up a fresh water tank. Then hope and look out for you, yours, and your neighbours.

Hope it goes well

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:52:13 PM »
Hi vtsteam - good luck. I have to say we have it terribly lucky on the weather front in England - we might get more than our share of miserable wet weather but at least no storms, hurricanes or tornadoes! Good luck with it.

Chris

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 05:09:31 PM »
good luck vtsteam hope all goes well.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »
Thanks all. Looks like we dodged it. Not over yet, but the bright red line of the front on radar is past.

It was weird though. no rain then about 20 seconds of what sounded like someone dropped a truckload of marbles on the roof, silence for a minute, then another truckload, and then that was it. Very strange. Like 40 seconds of rain total. Then it stopped for 20 minutes. Now it's starting to rain normally, and the radar is showing what looks like a normal storm patch < 1 inch/hr after the front.

Well, not much of a news story, but quite glad of it! Alarming when the warning radio turns itself on and starts blaring out a warning about possible tornadoes. And no, we don't normally get tornadoes here either! I think of that as happening in the plains and gulf states.

Well after Hurricane Irene hit here a couple years ago, I guess anything is possible.

Thanks for the well wishes. They worked!
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg