Author Topic: Hi from Wales  (Read 6121 times)

Offline Cymro

Hi from Wales
« on: October 14, 2013, 01:29:27 PM »
Hi everybody,

I just joined the forums cos it seems a very interesting place to be.

I'm 62, spent many years in engineering before being made redundant in my 40s and retraining as an HGV driver since no-one wanted 'old' engineers. Spent 15 years driving before being made redundant again and discovering that no-one wants old HGV drivers either.

So, lots of time on my hands and very little money. I do have a useful machine collection though, with a Halifax lathe (Atlas 10F clone made in the UK), Atlas 7B shaper, Gingery mill which I kind of bought by default with another lathe (Hector - look it up on lathes.co.uk) Elliott No 2 bench drill and a home-built mechanical hacksaw which I also bought. Love my machines. I've had the Halifax 20-odd years so we fit together pretty well by now - we have an arrangement whereby I don't give it any sudden surprises and it leaves all my limbs intact (so far so good . . . )

I'm interested in lots of stuff and have lots going on - I'm learning the ropes of a home foundry, building a CNC router (or 3D printer - haven't decided yet; the mechanics are the same but a cutter or extruder make the difference.) I've made a start by casting motor mounts which I've started machining and have one finished up to now. Got all the materials and  electronics already but it'll have to take its turn in the queue. I did an HND in Mechanical and Computer-Aided Engineering 25 years ago and wrote some G-code but have completely forgotten it all now so that will be a steep learning curve . . .

I also want to build a flamenco guitar. Got all the materials but I'm setting up a woodwork shop away from all the oil and swarf which isn't finished yet. The workshop is all ready but I'm making and modifying tools to suit when I get time. I've got as far as making a plantilla to work from. Meantime the woodwork shop makes a great pattern shop for the foundry . . .

Not really interested in cars (ever since they became impossible for the owner to work on) but love bikes. Nothing on the road right now but still love them.

I'll be mostly lurking in all probability, and occasionally asking daft questions - every day's a schoolday!
If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes . . .

Offline rotorhead

Re: Hi from Wales
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 01:49:57 PM »
Hi there and welcome Cymro,

You sound just like my twin, been there done that, nearly all to your schedule too, only difference I'm retired but still bloody driving, on a casual basis for the company that made me redundant.

So have less and less time to play with my beloved machines.

Ask all the daft questions you can think of, you'll usually get good replies...

Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »
Welcome 'Welshman' :)

Offline Cymro

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 03:36:41 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome - I'm sure I'll fit right in here!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »
Cymro,

Welcome to the collective :borg:

I am collecting parts for a CNC router too... How are you building the frame?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Cymro

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 04:37:05 PM »
Couple of years ago I bought a load of MDF offcuts off eBay. Looking at the photo they should have gone in my car (Pug 306) with the seats down. When I went to collect them they were in a rack 6 foot high, 2 foot wide and 8 foot long. I loaded the car up, getting about 1/3rd of the load in when I noticed the wheels were touching the body . . . I unloaded some until I could at least move the car and went back with my trailer for the rest. Gave £1.04 for the lot . . .

So, in common with lots of other things, the router will mostly be made of MDF. I'll be using the standard sort of configuration as detailed in 'Build your Own CNC Machine' by Patrick Hood-Daniel and James Floyd-Kelly, since I originally intended it to be a router. It will have linear bearings using aluminium angle and skateboard bearings, and will be a custom size (3' x 2') to suit the available space. The table will be a lump of kitchen worktop reinforced with MDF (what else . . . ?) cos it was available. I've got 12mm x 2mm precision trapeziodal leadscrew and will make anti-backlash nuts from Delrin to suit (done it before and it works well)

I figure if I make it as per the router design I can use it as a 3D printer since the freedoms of movement are the same, but I can still use it as a router if and when I want, but 3D printers aren't all that robust and probably wouldn't work as a router.

I bought the leadscrews and the motors new off eBay at knockdown prices, along with the stepper drivers, and had most of the rest of the stuff lying about!

Any and all hints welcome!

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »
Welcome Cymro, from the other side of the world (where it is now starting to warm up).

Jim

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 05:18:33 PM »
Hi Cymro,

sounds like we have many of the same machines and interests. Great to have you here!  :beer:

ps. in my ongoing epic shop cleanup and reorganization (still ongoing) I uncovered my Atlas shaper, which I received as a box of blackened and encrusted parts. It's semi assembled now and somewhat de-gunked, but I believe I'm missing a few small bits -- hoping to fabricate those. So I will be very interested to see yours.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 05:42:46 PM »
hi and welcume

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 06:48:33 PM »
Hi Cymro,

Croeso i'r fforwm.

Gary (trying to learn Welsh)
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline Cymro

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 10:10:49 AM »
Thanks for further replies.

AussieJimG - as you say, the other side of the world - as your world gets warmer so ours gets cooler . . . Time to be lighting the stove in the workshop here soon!

vtsteam - I've been looking at some of your stuff - especially the Gingery lathe. Ironically, I got interested in foundry work because of the Gingery books - saw them many years ago and wanted them then but work and family commitments said 'No,' so I bought them a couple of years ago. Built the furnace; thought I'd skip the lathe since I already have one and start on the shaper. Made most of the patterns; just ready to start pouring and the 7B turned up. So I was going to start on the mill and discovered I'd already got one (didn't know it was a Gingery one until last year . . . )

So now I AM going to build the lathe out of spite and then I'm going to do the shaper.

What are you missing off your 7B? Are you aware of the Yahoo Atlas lathes and shaper newsgroups? The files sections have parts diagrams etc which might help you. I'll send  you the links if you like? I had a huge problem (of my own making) with my 7B which involved making a new bull-gear hub but it's all OK now - nice little machine. Will post pics when I figure out how . . .

Thanks to KRV3000 for the welcome

Thanks too, to garym - good work on the Welsh! I used to be good at it but had to choose between Welsh and French at school 50 years ago - since Welsh was considered a 'dead' language then I chose French (wanted to teach it) but now you need Welsh a lot more! My wife has just started doing a Welsh evening course as her job demands it (there are still places available on the course . . . ;-) )

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 03:51:04 PM »
Hi  Cymro

Welcome to the forum, you are a busy boy, look forward to you posting some of the projects that you are involved with.
                       Cheers David

Offline micktoon

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 06:00:31 PM »
Hi Cymro, welcome to the forum, plenty goes on here, something to interest everyone really. Hope to see some of what you get up on here soon.
  Cheers Mick.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »

vtsteam - I've been looking at some of your stuff - especially the Gingery lathe. Ironically, I got interested in foundry work because of the Gingery books - saw them many years ago and wanted them then but work and family commitments said 'No,' so I bought them a couple of years ago. Built the furnace; thought I'd skip the lathe since I already have one and start on the shaper. Made most of the patterns; just ready to start pouring and the 7B turned up. So I was going to start on the mill and discovered I'd already got one (didn't know it was a Gingery one until last year . . . )

So now I AM going to build the lathe out of spite and then I'm going to do the shaper.

What are you missing off your 7B? Are you aware of the Yahoo Atlas lathes and shaper newsgroups? The files sections have parts diagrams etc which might help you. I'll send  you the links if you like? I had a huge problem (of my own making) with my 7B which involved making a new bull-gear hub but it's all OK now - nice little machine. Will post pics when I figure out how . . .

Hi Cymro, thanks for the reply -- missed it earlier. I too wanted to build the mill and shaper, but also found the shaper -- so put an end to that project, and also found an Atlas horizontal mill about 5 years ago. I may get rid of the latter, now that I have a vertical mill drill, and build the horizontal Gingery mill for fun some day -- just like you and the lathe! I can keep all the cutters, etc that I have for the Atlas horizontal.

I took a good look at the remaining box of parts I have for the Atlas shaper -- as I said it's mostly assembled. I think the only thing missing is the large gear that must go inside the drive for the table traverse. I see a small gear there that must mesh with it, and the round outer case has a lever and a catch that must push the missing bigger gear.

I think I could probably make the bigger gear if I had the dimensions.

Well, also looks like I'm missing the belt guard, but that's not critical to running the shaper. I imagine they're not cheap, so I'll make a guard myself.

Anyway thanks for the reply, and I'll be looking for your lathe project to cheer you on and answer any questions you might have. I made notes in my Gingery lathe book when I built it. There might have been a few errors I found. I built the lathe exactly per instructions. Later made some mods, but had the experience with the base model to compare changes to -- unlike many other builders who start modifying before they start the build. For me, it's helpful to build something as designed first. There wasn't actually much I wanted to change -- most of my mods were add-ons.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg