Author Topic: engineers level  (Read 7178 times)

ja2on

engineers level
« on: March 18, 2009, 07:18:16 PM »
Some time ago bogstandard  :wave: recommended on another forum that I level my lathe using a engineers level
do you guys think this one is any good ?

I know its small but I only have  a sieg c4 and the price doesn't seam to bad

http://tinyurl.com/dxjvvs

bogstandard

Re: engineers level
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 07:35:23 PM »
Hi Jason,

The length does seem a little short at 4". A little longer would definitely be more preferable.

I have replaced all 3 of mine over the last couple of years, and I think the most expensive one was about 35 squid.

In fact I have to replace another one as the vial has fractured (I think caused by the very cold weather and bad storage during last winter), and it is not worth buying a new vial, minimum charge of 50 squid from the supplier.

Here is a very good 6" one, and as I said, I wouldn't bid above 35. A brand new one from the supplier is about 70 squid+. There are plenty of others on there, just search for engineers level.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Moore-Wright-165mm-precision-engineers-level-BNIB_W0QQitemZ330314572153QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Measuring_Tools_Levels?hash=item330314572153&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A3%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

John

ja2on

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:46:02 PM »
Thanks  :thumbup: I will keep an eye on that one unless a bidding war breaks out between madmodders  :lol:

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:55:40 AM »
Don't you get some absolutely stupid people on eblay.  :doh:

Just checked that one I showed to Jason, and it is up to 101 squid, almost 50% more than the cost of a new item.

The seller must be jumping up and down with joy.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:03:39 AM »
Yes, I have it on my watch list and saw it this morning. Ebay is a funny place.

There is a miller like mine on ebay finishing soon, second hand. It's almost the price of a new one with a few hours to go.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 07:05:45 AM »
There is a miller like mine on ebay finishing soon, second hand. It's almost the price of a new one with a few hours to go.

Darren, I had that one on my watch list too, seems like a lot of dosh, although it does have some tooling.

David
So many ideas, so little skill

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 07:09:57 AM »
Yes I suppose the tooling swings it so far, but only just.
It really depends what price it finishes at?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 08:51:54 AM »
Side note but I used to have some software, lost it in a crash and never bothered to look for it again, but it took a keyword and gave you alternate spellings.
Very handy for ebay to spot the odd bargain, I once got a nice arbor press that had been listed as harbour press, no one else bid on it.

JS.
John Stevenson

ja2on

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 09:43:41 AM »
the price of that was outrageous  :doh:
anyway how would I use one ( if I could afford one )
as my bed is higher at the front than at the back  :scratch:

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 11:17:20 AM »
Not a thread hijack but there is a chester 626 3 phase on ebay for what seems like next to no money at the moment with just a few hours to go.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230331382874

David
So many ideas, so little skill

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 12:47:32 PM »
Jason,

I think you will find that the two level areas on the bed are ground at the same height.

A pair of 1-2-3 blocks or thick parallels would allow you to straddle the angly sticky up bits (prismatic faces).

So now getting even more expensive, level, blocks (paras), cabinet stand to keep everything rigid, concrete base to stand everything on, new glasses so you can see the minute changes etc, etc.

I know exactly how you feel. You only want to do a quickie job, but finances are holding you back, and family should always come first.

Been there, got the t-shirt, just about to get the baseball cap. I've got a big space on my bench for a small CNC mill, but paying the mortgage and eating has priority. One fine day I will be able to fill the hole, but not yet.

It is a shame I or any other member wasn't a little closer, sharing tools on these rare occasions can save a lot of cash.

Now for a bit of preaching.

It's nice if you have old (or new) tooling you will never use, to be passed on to someone who can. Or offer it at a price that suits both parties, rather than an auction price.

Stew did it with me with the die filer, other friends come here also bearing gifts, and I do it all the time when things come in to me from my contacts or if I upgrade tooling. If it helps someone else, and it cost you nothing in the first place, or is now redundant to your needs, pass it on.

Goodwill always exceeds the cash value, plus it allows the recipient to do things he would never have been able to afford normally, and of course, your shop doesn't end up filled with stuff you will never use.

Bogs

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
I've got Johns level on loan done the mill next job the lathe  :thumbup:

Its a case of helping each other.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

ja2on

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 04:51:30 PM »
I will keep looking one will turn up at the right price sooner or later

I was going to go for a machine stand but i'm having my doubts since I received the drip tray from the same people that sell the stand
my mind is drifting towards a 3'x3' or 4'x4' planed timber frame with 40mm worktop is this really to be avoided  :scratch:

bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 05:54:57 PM »
Jason,

Machine levelling is a very debatable thing, some saying it does no good, others saying, if you don't do it, you aren't getting the best from your lathe.

I am from the second school of thought. The first school are usually the ones who have no engineering background to begin with and are most probably lucky in they get some semblance of accuracy with their lathe.

When you actually come to level a lathe, you soon find that all lathes bend, some like a banana, a few very little, but they all do bend and flex. Basically, the heavier and more massive the main castings, the less it will bend and twist.

The more rigid a frame you mount it on, the better for the lathe not to go out of shape.

In the early days, they would recommend a stand from say 4" lumber with a 2" thick wooden top.

Nowadays, the 4" lumber for the legs is reasonable in price, but the 2" top would need a second mortgage, and after a time it would most probably warp, as modern wood is not like the old outdoor seasoned timber.

My personal suggestion to you would be as you suggest. Modern worktops are very stable as long as you have a good frame under it, plus you have the advantage of the wipe and stay clean surface, a big advantage where you can have oils and coolants splashing about. I have used it throughout my shop.

This is Bandit, my joiner, who integrated the 4" x 2" frame into the secret room in my concrete bunker.

Uncle Bogs, testing out the strength of the kitchen worktops he used on the wooden frame. If it can take my weight leaning on it, your little lathe will be a piece of cake.

A wooden stand, by the time you have purchased everything, won't be much cheaper than a dedicated machine stand. But in your situation, it would be a great advantage, as you can have one full length of worktop, with the lathe on one part and the rest for all your other stuff. Also, if you integrate it into your shed frame, you will find both structures will stiffen up a lot.

John

ja2on

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 03:09:20 PM »
That has put my mind at ease thanks John  :thumbup:

now I just need to get busy  :dremel:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 01:58:22 PM »
Is this what you`re all looking for?  :wave:

Found it this afternoon, in a long (almost) forgotten toolbox......  ::)

It`s probably older than me!

J. Rabone & sons, Sheffield...... It came to me in 1972.

Silly oppo on nightshift lost the bubble one dark night in 1983.

Nice shiny new one fitted a few weeks later..... Had little use since.....

Anyone interested?

PM me please.

David.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:58:42 AM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 12:33:24 PM »
No one interested!!??  :scratch:

Ok. I`ll put it away again, probably for the next 20yrs.......  ::)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

ja2on

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 01:38:41 PM »
Sorry I should have replied earlier  :wack:
After seeing the level in the auction go for more than a ton I bought the fifty quid one from my first post