Author Topic: Posting Photo's With A Mac Computer  (Read 5983 times)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Posting Photo's With A Mac Computer
« on: October 20, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »
Hi all

What do the members that use Mac computers use to reduce the size of photo's?  :poke:

For windows there is FastStone Photo Resizer which works great but dosen't work on a Mac.  :bang:

We have new members joining all the time and some of them are not very comfortable with a computer. We try to help them as much as possible and give them solutions that are easy for them to understand.  :scratch:

It is hoped that with the help of the members that a solution can be found and a step by step instruction written up to help new members.  :thumbup:
:D  :)   :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Joules

Re: Posting Photo's With A Mac Computer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
I use Preview that comes as standard on the Mac these days.  Its really simple to use as it doesn't have tons of options, but enough to edit all my pictures that I post here via Photobucket.

Joules
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Joules

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 02:58:01 PM »
Using Preview...
                        First get your pictures onto the desktop, then click on one, as default it should be Preview that opens it.

If you want to just select an area of the picture to use, click and drag the mouse to select an area.  This will give you a highlighted box as below.

Go to edit menu, and select "Copy", then move to the file menu and select "New from Clipboard".  This will make your picture look more professional by cropping out all the unnecessary detail.

Next go to the "Tools" menu and select "Adjust Size" here you can enter the size you wish the image to be.  Once thats done it's back to "File" and select "Export", here you can specify if you wish to save as a jpeg (saving space) and where you want the image to go.  For beginners its probably better to save it on the desktop so you can find it by minimising any windows on the desktop.   From there you can have the fun of sending it to Photobucket rather than dumping it straight onto the forums.  Photobucket has some good help tutorials to get you going.   This is a very quick guide to using Preview, as standard on your Mac computer.

Joules

Offline ziggar

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 03:34:11 PM »
Am I missing something?  :scratch:

I don't have to resize......

Take my pics, with camera set on 5mpixls. Then upload to Photobucket, with the Upload Options set to 800 x 600.

Works for me!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Joules

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »
Dave your absolutely right.  I have been using Photobucket for so long I never remember that it auto resizes, however for sending pictures via email or other forum users that don't use Photobucket I resize pictures by default, especially ones for forum use.  It just keeps the folders that bit smaller than saving them in RAW format depending on your camera.

Joules

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 06:31:44 PM »
On Linux I constantly use a free very tiny and fast program for most simple photo manipulation.

It is also ported to Mac.

It is mtpaint

http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/links.html

http://mtpaint.softpedia.com/
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg