Author Topic: Just a little repair.  (Read 7878 times)

Offline Joules

Just a little repair.
« on: October 20, 2013, 02:19:40 PM »
Apart from my normal tinkering I have a passion for micro sized helicopters.  The kind you can fly in your lounge these days, even includes flybarless collective pitch beasties.   I am no hotdog pilot I like to just fly them in a scale like manner.   Now having recently had a birthday, I thought I would treat myself to a new helicopter, one of the afore mentioned flybarless.  As soon as it arrived I unpacked and charged the battery for its maiden flight.  Sure this was a bit hairy as I set it up according to the manual (they assume hotdog, I class myself more a cheese sandwich). So dialed it down to super docile.  During the flight I could hear a buzzing that didn't seem to be right, yeah on a little machine thrashing its guts out.  Second flight still the buzz, having checked it out before, during and after the first flight.  Finished the second flight then found the problem.

What...  where are me balls  :bugeye: 

You can see from the picture the bearing cage hanging on the tail rotor shaft.  When I first check it over everything seemed to be working fine, so I can only assume what grease may have been present in the race had kept the tail parts together.  That and the fact the tail blades push against the bearing so it appeared to fly normally, whilst grinding away the control arm.

I contacted the supplier and they sorted me a replacement part the next day, couldn't complain about the service.  Now I had replaced the faulty item I had the bits left over.  Hmmm, challenge time. Can I repair the ball raced slider.

On the right is the old bearing shell and center.  I unriveted the alloy tube with a sharp drill and pulled apart the plastic components.  Next go looking for some old bearings that might fit.   I have built up quite a collection over the years from helicopters that....   Lets say they got retired...  So set about making the brass flanged tube you see in the middle of the photo.  This thing measures about 5mm long, 2.5mm across the flange and bored out to 1.5mm, so the wall is pretty thin. I picked the bearing shield out of the tiny race and rinsed it in white spirit to clear out the grease and debris.  A tiny dot of gun oil was applied to the race and pressed back into the plastic carrier.  My bearing being a tad longer than the original, but having looked up the price for a single bearing (£5.00+vat) I will live with it.

The stack of parts was assembled making note of the correct orientation for each part and then the precision bit...  I hit it gently with a centre punch to swage the tube end.  As it happened the tube end split but the job was accomplished.  I now have a spare unit ready for when my current replacement wears out or gets taken out in some unplanned manoeuvre.

This last photo just gives you an idea of scale for the part itself.   Just a nice little challenge for a rainy afternoon, that fortunately resulted in me having a working spare for the future.

At some point I would really like to get hold of a watch makers lathe as I find making these small components very rewarding.  Save old bearing shells as they make good gauges for future work, likewise the bearings if you have them come in handy for making tools.

Joules
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Just a little repair.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:13:09 AM »
It's good to have the skills to repair stuff Joules  :thumbup:

I get all my family and friends broken toys to fix. Can't say I fix them all but I get most of them sorted  :)

So, how about a pic of the helochopter in question?  :worthless:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Joules

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:37:29 AM »
OK a couple of pictures...

Bare naked helicopter, the AA battery just gives you a clue to its size.  Its powered by a small brushless motor running from a two cell lipo.  I am still amazed by the size and features of the tiny avionics package stuck below the battery.  3 axis gyro and enough computing power to manage flybarless flight, puts a big smile on my face.

The next one is spooled up and waiting clearance for take off from Jazmin, my German Shepherd.

It took me many years to master flying model helicopters, and with these miniature marvels, weather and lack of flying field are no longer a restriction, just the style of flying limited by available space.  I hope to build many parts to try out for this helicopter as so many option parts are available.  It doesn't need a mountain of materials to play either.

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 06:37:59 PM »
Lots of fun. Good on you.

I can barely see things that small.

Jim

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 07:36:51 PM »
Cool  :)

I keep looking at these little things in the shops and wondering if it is worth a punt..... Sounds like it is.

Think I might treat myself after Xmas  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 07:53:07 PM »
Those are some small parts. Nice job!

I have a small heli... not as nice as that one.

It's a treat to fly it as I probably do not have the skill you do. I know it takes some skills to fly the more complicated ones. I have had a hankering though for a quadracopter that I just cant shake.
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Joules

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 05:46:00 AM »
Brass_Machine,
           check out the 180QX hd, coming from Horizon Hobby next month, that might ease your hankering.

Joules