Author Topic: Stent Tool and Cutter Grinder  (Read 20550 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Stent Tool and Cutter Grinder
« on: October 27, 2013, 12:15:38 PM »
Hi Guys

I was just trying to sort ought some of my photographs this afternoon, and however many times I do this there are those pics that seem to prefer hide and seek than be viewed. My PC has a mind of it's own and changes the location of pics I have filed. The pics I have discovered are of the Stent Tool and Cutter Grinder which I built some time ago. The slides were machined on the shaping machine then accurately hand scraped. A work head was constructed to take Myford collets and an indexing device fitted. The Myford spindle nose could also take a small chuck or tailstock type chuck. There are a pair of centers, not shown. Slide stops are fitted to adjust movement.
                  The machine was entered into The Midlands M.E. Exhibition at the time and achieved a Bronze Medal.

Cheers David

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Stent Tool and Cutter Grinder
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 02:10:16 PM »
Looks great! :bow: :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline philf

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »
Hi David,

Very nice.  :thumbup:

I've just looked at the price of the drawings and castings - £300 + VAT so I don't think I'll add one to my list of things to make.

I thought it might make a useful compact surface grinder with a few mods to increase the spindle overhang.

:beer:

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline mattinker

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »
David

Very nice build!

Phil,

Have a look at the "Bonelle" it's made from bar stock and the plans are free on the web.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.b.d.willis/bonelle_tcg.htm

Regards, Matthew

Offline philf

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 02:50:32 PM »
David

Very nice build!

Phil,

Have a look at the "Bonelle" it's made from bar stock and the plans are free on the web.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.b.d.willis/bonelle_tcg.htm

Regards, Matthew

Hi Matthew,

I already have a Quorn on which the Bonelle is based but neither are really suitable for surface grinding.

I also have (what I think is) a Union T&C Grinder but without a great deal of work I can't get a wheel in the correct position for surface grinding.

Do I really need a surface grinder? Having had access to one at work before I retired I miss being able to use one. But I've managed without for 4 1/2 years so..........

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »
Philf,
By reversing the motor/spindle and adding a way of moving the workhead, such as a lead screw, I believe the Bonelle coud be modified to to able to surface grind small parts.  I am going to put this on my modification list.

Offline philf

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »
Philf,
By reversing the motor/spindle and adding a way of moving the workhead, such as a lead screw, I believe the Bonelle coud be modified to to able to surface grind small parts.  I am going to put this on my modification list.

Hi Unc1esteve,

The Stent still looks ideal for a mini surface grinder. I found a fabricated version of the Stent using round bars for guides a la Quorn/Bonelle but the dovetail version looks more workmanlike.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 08:55:19 PM »
The more I think about it the less I like my idea.  It would be better to make a dedicated surface grinder.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 01:14:17 AM »
A dedicated machine sounds like a good idea if you've already got a T&G. I've got a Clarkson MKI which I could use as a surface grinder, but I feel I'd really need to surface grind something to go through all that hand feeding!

An interesting project, keep us informed!

Regards, Matthew

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 04:03:50 AM »
In a bit of correspondence to one of you, I mentioned that putting a magnetic table on a Clarkson is my  'norm'.

However for those with a Quorn, Philip Amos did a write up and fitted his grinding bit of the machine to a mill.

Again, the Stent 'pillar' will accept the Quorn or its own stuff to act like a vertical slide on either the lathe or the mill or even a shaper.

As a bit of an aside, the Stent is calibrated whilst my Clarkson 1 has no such additions.

Hope this helps

N

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »
Phil,
What would be the needed x-y-z travel?

Offline philf

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 02:26:34 PM »
Phil,
What would be the needed x-y-z travel?

I haven't given it that much thought but I have a 200mm x 100mm magnetic vice so I imagine minimum travels x - 250mm; y - 120mm; z- 150mm.

I have the basis of a floor standing machine which could give me x - 350mm; y - 150mm; z - 300mm.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 09:26:45 AM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your comments

Cheers David