Author Topic: Sieg X3 Supper Mil  (Read 29982 times)

bogstandard

Re: Sieg X3 Supper Mil
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 04:31:11 PM »
Yep,

I have already seen the problem, and Stew is taking the correct route.

If they fix it, all well and good, nothing needs to be said publicly. If not, post a few piccies, tell the suppliers where they are, and all of a sudden the problem goes away. Just like mine did.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 02:05:09 PM »
Whoops Stew Thinks he's balcked out the town

I've got to tell you chaps this.

Messing about sorting my shop out when a mate (buddy) called round to see the mill there I was putting it through its paces:- fast speed slow speed tapping in tapping out revers forward etc When

:zap:

The power went off in the shop

:bugeye:

Ho Sh one T i thought I hope thats not effected the house next minnute the boss was at the door Stewart what have you done the electrics gone off, the people next door were at the gate; our electrics gone off has yours ?. By this time yours truly was in a panic, bugger I've blacked the whole bloody town.

Boss was on the phone to the electric company phew they were working on the line and we would have power back in an hour or two.

Boy was I relieved

:lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:

A happy
 :wave:
Stew

John

I'll tuch base later in the week.

Stew

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 03:20:22 PM by sbwhart »
A little bit of clearance never got in the road

bogstandard

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 02:24:41 PM »
No probs Stew.

You can explain to Bandit yourself.
Since I told him you were bringing him a doggy chew, he's been waiting at the gate every night at 7. :lol:

Methinks you've got a friend for life.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 10:01:22 AM »
Well its been a few weeks since I got my mill and all I've done is run it over under power, I'm chomping at the bit to start and cut metal,

But I'm still trying to resolve the problem I've got with the supplier, sent them photos and explained the problem they didn't understand what I was on about at first, eventually spoke to a guy who had more of an engineering head   :hammer: he grasped the problem straight away, but said they would have to contact the manufacturer, why I've no idea as they sold the mill to me not the manufacturer and as they are the main importer to the UK you'd have thought they carried spares. Any way they had problems contacting manufacturer as they were on holiday (Chinese New Year).  :beer:

Eventualy got an email that said the manufacturer said that you can expect back play, I was back at the begining,  :bang: I replied with a bit of an eshit pointing out that back play was not the problem, and that the machine had been assembled with a defective part as my photo clearly showed with a bodge that did not follow good engineer practice and just for good measure I told them I was an engineer with 40 years experience and they had sold me a defective machine.

Got an email back asking if I could send them the defective part or email a drawing, just spent an hour stripping the part out of the machine drawing it up and emailing the supplier back.

My shop will take about another 2 or 3 hours work to get it sorted but I can't do the sorting with a stripped down mill in the middle of the floor.

Exstreamly P****d off

Stew

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 10:28:32 AM »
I gave up with that company after the purchase of a pillar drill everything was great except the casting for the base was not very good , it had the bottom of one side missing so the drill leaned at 15 deg  I got on to them to be told to send the whole lot back , as I had spent hours cleaning the thing and getting all the sand out I did not want to do that, I was told yhey dont keep spares and it had to be inspected first, so I thought for an easy life Ill just buy the part to be  told that they could take months, at the time i was desparate for it to do a woodworking job that had to be finnished ( a load of cabnet hindges on some expensive solid oak doors) so I just kept it but would not use them again , oh and the base I ground 4mm off to get it flat and then finnished on my mini mill. but the concern I have now is spares,

Peter    :ddb:
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2009, 10:32:24 AM »
Hi Stew,

I think we all feel your pain, the suppliers attitude seems a bit irresponsible to me, your contract is with them not the manufacturer it is thier responsibility to get it sorted.

As Bogs said, a bit of gentle hinting that you may go public on this board and others may make them sit up and take notice but you shouldn't really have to do that IMO. Could the defective part have had dangerous consequences if you had run the machine? It's such a shame that in this day and age and especially with the current downturn, some suppliers still see aftersales service as a nuisance.

Good luck, and if they still dont budge threaten to send the boys 'round (Ralph and Bogs)

David
So many ideas, so little skill

bogstandard

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2009, 11:40:43 AM »
Reminds me of a bit ago on my thoughts of Axminster.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=737.msg4450#msg4450

Seems like they are doing the same with you as they did with me.

Looks like a bit of strongarm stuff required.

John

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2009, 04:05:05 PM »
Stew,

I'm sure you'll get there in the end with this. It just seems to take a lot to get through to these people. They must think the people buying their machines don't have a clue or something, it's terrible really. Stick to your guns though, don't accept anything until you're happy with the deal.

Nick

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 04:17:54 PM »
Hi Chaps

Thanks for the support, I'll keep at them,  :poke:

I'm keeping the ace card up my sleeve. :wack:

Thanks again

Stew

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2009, 08:07:41 PM »
As I just said in a slightly unrelated PM to Stew..... We could put their stand under seige on the Sat' at Harrogate.....  :mmr: 

Although change the banner...... To something more appropriate.... Like "___'s after sales service sucks!!!! "

Well it would work if we were French!!!!  :)

Then again I suppose just like David suggests.....  :wack:   :hammer:  Might do it?   :lol:

(of course I do not advocate violence, this is all joking.....!)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2009, 08:19:59 PM »
They don't stand any of the Model Engineering shows.

JS
John Stevenson

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2009, 04:08:55 AM »
Only just fully read this posting Stew!  :scratch:

Wishing you all the best of good luck with your problems.  :bang:

And here`s me with a new mill. Still sitting on it`s pallet, dripping red grease.......  ::)

Hmmmmmm...........

David.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 05:54:37 AM »
Hi Chaps

Got the problem sorted with the suppliers, Axminster to be fair to them took my complaint seriously, they seem to have had extensive discusions with the manufactures, and stripped the machines down thay have in stock, and identified the problem. The problem stems from varition in the base casting and the the way they assemble the mill at the factory (unskilled labour), I've been unlucky and got a base on the exstream of "tolerance" the suppliers have had a new part made in the UK to suit my machine.  :thumbup:

To be fair to the supplier I don't want to go public with the problem but if any of you guys want more infromation, give me a private mail I'll share the information with you.

Got my mill positioned and roughly leveled and couldn't resisit useing it yesterday I had a Piece of 1" square mild steel long enough to get a couple of T nuts out of, the mill ripped through the Job 0.75mm cuts with fly cutter 1mm cute with a 20mm dia 4 flute end mill. Only thing I noticed was a double cut with the fly cutter when feeding from one direction indicating the head is slightly out of square, so I'm going to have to tram the head up but I expected to do this any way so no problem there

:D    :D    :D    :D

Cheers

Stew
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:24:57 AM by sbwhart »

bogstandard

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 06:58:50 AM »
Ignore my email from this morning Stew, no need to get nasty, now that they have come up with a good solution.

John

BTW, my next project will be making a tram for a milling machine, as we discussed on your last visit.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 07:01:36 AM »
Why would you want a train set in your milling machine... :bugeye:

Sorry, couldn't resist that John, in my ignorance I don't know what a tram is  :med:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 07:34:37 AM »
Hi Darren

Whot your doing when you Tram the head is setting it up square with the table in the x and y, there are variouse ways of doing this, I'll probably do mine tonight so I'll post a phots,  :worthless:

you can buy bits of kit to tram a mill up that cost up to £100.

John has a design for making a supper accurate simple to use Tram, it will be well worth following his project when he posts it.

Cheers :wave:

Stew

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 07:48:12 AM »
Thanks Stew,

I understood tramming but not a tramming tool. I though a simple dial gauge was used in setting up.

I shall keep an eye out for this thread. Ashamedly I've never trammed my mill as I've not needed that accuracy as yet.
But I'm sure I will in time  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 09:42:21 AM »
Stew,

Well done, glad you got it sorted  :)

Darren, I haven't trammed mine either  :wack: , it's good enough for the work I've done on it but I really should set it up properly. I want to add some digital scales so will probably do it when I do that.

Nick

bogstandard

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2009, 10:19:41 AM »
Darren,

Oh dear!, train set, ---- bless.
Or should that be 'bliss', as in 'ignorance is'  :lol:

But until you have trammed the head up level, you will never know how the quality of your machining takes a big step up.

I hope to start next week.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »
Few  pics of the mill in action.

Finished T nuts there one of those bits of kit you can't have engough of. Just one tip if you make some:- bur the back of the nut up so that the bolt won't pass through it, you can crack your t slots open if the bolt passes through and acts as a jack.

Checked the slides over with a DTI the one i'm using is graduated 0.01mm ran it along the full length of the table x and y well within 0.01mm on the DTI

Used the same clock to check the Tram  (train, bus, car what ever) it was out by 0.2mm adjusted it to within 0.02mm.

Just got to put up some new shelving and I'm back in action.

:D     :)    :D    :)     :D      :)

Stew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2009, 04:05:13 PM »
Nice job on those T-nuts.  :thumbup:

But only two?  :bugeye:

Should have made a few more. You know your going to need them.  :)

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2009, 04:45:15 PM »

:lol:

Its a pair of Nuts

:D

Stew

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2009, 04:53:40 PM »
Looks like a great bit of kit Stew. Glad you're back up and running, now get cracking with that elbow engine!!!  :poke:

:)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2009, 04:14:30 PM »
Hi Chaps

Last little job with the mill before I start doing realy close work is to level it up, I'd already roughly leveld it up using a cheap spirit level thanks to John I got a loan of a real supper acurate level. The mills stand came fitted with leveling jacks at each corner, using a crow bar the mill was levered up slightly to allow the jacks to be adjusted, it was a matter of chase the bubble:- get it level in the Y axis get it level in the X check the Y readjust etc etc each iteration brought the level better and better when it was within one line I tightened the loc nut and called it a day.

Job Done  :thumbup:

Stew

bogstandard

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2009, 06:17:51 PM »
Nice one Stew,

Plenty close enough.
If I remember rightly, 1 division works out to 0.002" over 3ft.
That measurement is all dependent on whether it is an imperial or metric bubble.

Unlike a lathe, where levelling should be a critical exercise, levelling a mill is done mainly to prevent uneven wear on the sliding faces and parts.
It also stops your tools and coffee sliding off the end of the table.

In fact, levelling up your offhand grinder is supposed to reduce bearing wear. I don't know if it works, but it just might, and every little helps.

John