Author Topic: Hillbilly hello from North Gawgia USA.  (Read 7935 times)

Offline Dawai

Hillbilly hello from North Gawgia USA.
« on: October 31, 2013, 12:19:45 PM »
Well the forum name fits me, I tinker and build my own tools and projects. Can't leave things alone.
My youtube user name is ibewgypsie  Some of my projects, some ongoing.
Solar focus dish, made from old satellite dish and a mylar space blanket. (aka Dan Rojas)
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ol__Xp72nA
Solar fresnel mirror making from motel stainless mirror. Shows the homebuilt plasma pattern cutter in action.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsgmJW2uX7s
Attempt to cnc english wheel a parabolic mirror. (not a failure, but not a success)
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8O6uR-53Ec
OLD 1950s mining mule, David Bradley 2 wheel tractor updated with Honda engine-transmission off a tiller.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggof6qFYxcM
My old 1957 GMC I've been building for a few years now.
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQT-aXHePqs
Stroker shovelhead Harley, all machine work done here on the bridgeport, I'm not a great machinist, but I am cheap.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brRpSgjH0tQ
Rube Goldberg inspired overhead helve hammer.. (see videos of it working much modified from here)
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRa_dj47sY8

Can you tell I am just a lil bit HYPER?? they killed my thyroid with chemo, Now I run wide open till after lunch, then have to have a nap.. getting old sucks.

David
I Hung a 24 foot Ibeam this morning in the ceiling by myself, programmed a Arduino this afternoon for a solar project, Helped a buddy out with a electrical motor connection issue on the phone, then cut up a chicken for Hotwings. I'd say it has been a "blessed day" for myself and all those around me.

Offline Country Bubba

• LaGrange, GA USA
Re: Hillbilly hello from North Gawgia USA.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »
David,
Welcome aboard and glad to see another GA boy here:}) Whereabouts are you. I'm in Lagrange

Art
Country Bubba

Offline Dawai

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 12:36:14 PM »
20 minutes South of Chattanooga Tn.. about 120 north of Atlanta Ga.

Not much going on in my area up here. Poverty stricken North Georgia, thou a couple of the carpet mills are coming back. (Hey, didn't ZZ top sing a song about your town??)

David
I Hung a 24 foot Ibeam this morning in the ceiling by myself, programmed a Arduino this afternoon for a solar project, Helped a buddy out with a electrical motor connection issue on the phone, then cut up a chicken for Hotwings. I'd say it has been a "blessed day" for myself and all those around me.

Offline Country Bubba

• LaGrange, GA USA
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 12:52:25 PM »
David,
OK, might just have to crawl on my HOG (FXSTS) and ride up that way some time. Used to travel the area for work and a lot of it is beautiful. Know what you mean about the mills, down here it is textile that has gone away:{(

Not sure about ZZ as I don't listen to much music anymore. I would rather play in the shop :beer:

Art
Country Bubba

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 01:11:09 PM »
Hi David  :wave:

Welcome to MadModder. You are a very quick study. You have provided us with a list of  video's that should keep us busy for a bit I see lots of subjects there that I am sure will be interesting to watch and follow up on.

I am sure that with your array of talents and interests you will find many of the forums of interest to you..I look forward to your future participation in the various forums as you carry on with your various interests.
  :D :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline DavidA

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 02:43:22 PM »
Glad to see you around.

The solar project looks promising.

...Hey, didn't ZZ top sing a song about your town??...

Ray Charles sang a beautifull song about your State.

Dave.

Offline Fredbare

• Fakenham, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »
Welcome David, this is the place for you.

John

Offline krv3000

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
hi and welcume

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 09:13:49 PM »
Hi David, great to have you here!  :clap:  :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline stovebolt

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 11:12:47 PM »
Hey David,  been reading your posts on HSM for years,    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I looked up the ZZ top song,  being that they are Texas boys I kinda figured it was La Grange TX  that the song was about. 

Not that I have any first hand knowledge , but the song is about the same place the movie Best Little Whorehouse in Texas is about,

it's the Chicken Ranch,  again, just because I lived in Texas in the '60s doesn't mean I have any first hand knowledge.     

Jim         

Offline Dawai

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 09:02:12 AM »
I've been in these forums since it was BBS dial up.

Not posted on HSM for a year or so, miss some of them guys.  You get attached to people on forums and sometimes the ones you respect violate your morals and feeling of self worth.  I saw some abuse that should have been moderated, and some that was overly done so.  So you kinda quit hanging around those people who love to stir crap.   

2001?,2? When I built my cnc bridgeport from a reel to reel tape machine, I was asked to take it and Leave HSM cause no home shop should have a cnc. NOW that is the norm.. Not that I am a trend setter, I had a misconception then that a "cnc was a santa claus machine" that would do all the work for me. Boy was I wrong. Mostly I run one-offs here building things, a cnc is great for reproducing quantities. I do not have the patience to make a real machinist.  And, some guys there, then, were right.. You should learn the basics before you go onto a cnc.

THE old cnc has had mice living in it now for a couple of years. I need a energetic kid to hang around and give him some of my "useless" knowledge.  The wiring has not been the same since Butch pulled all the cables out the side chasing a critter through it. It has stepper drives from 3 manufacturers in it, and a servo on the 4th axis.. Windows has gave me more problems than the machine thou. It does need a spindle now. (typo crash??)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:27:25 PM by dsquire »

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 12:33:08 PM »
I like those little cars. Did you build them as well as paint them?
Steve

Offline Dawai

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 04:28:19 PM »
Hi Vsteam.

No, they are a $149 Comet "kit pedal car" from Speedway motors, I bought one, Copperetta bought one, and Ray R from NM bought one, I painted them practicing my true fire technique with a Iwata airbrush.  Sad thing? well  sad for me is that all the pedal cars turned out better than the Roadking did. I am still learning as I go. I have painted refrigerators to mailboxes now.

Those were just paper cut stencils, house of Kolor paint shot over a black epoxy primer. Ray sent me more money for more paint.  The Cars, I donated one to a kid's grandparents to give to a "poor grand kid", (I get pictures of him playing with it) gifted the other two to the local Police departments to give out. (when you give something to a poor family, they come knocking on your door sometimes and you are stuck with a choice so gifting anonymously is better)

My wife and I are not rich, we help when we can, but this local economy if it does not improve?? Not sure what people will do.  We did collect and give out about a hundred pounds of deer meat in the last week. I have not hunted since the 80s.

I did however knock together the "big chicken" from junk, using the power hammer to form the curves and the mig, and the powder coating oven. (which I recently reformed into a vacuum former)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:28:47 PM by dsquire »

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:29:16 PM »
You're a good man Dawai.  :beer:
Steve

Offline Pete49

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 10:07:58 PM »
Welcome Dawai glad you joined. So you run then rest coz you're getting old :beer: beats the alternative hands down :doh:
Pete
PS ZZ sang about La Grange ....yep I'm a fan :)
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 11:01:05 PM »
Hi David,

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Some neat stuff you got going on! Glad you are here.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 04:21:00 AM »
Hi David
                  Welcome to MadModder,  looking forward to your posts.

Cheers David

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 07:49:20 AM »
Hi David!  :wave:

Welcome to the Collective.  :borg:

With your background and experience, we should get along very nicely. Now you're talking to us!  :thumbup:

Join in, whenever you can. Enjoy!  :D

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!