Author Topic: Wheels, okay then... Castors  (Read 9610 times)

Offline Ooompa

Wheels, okay then... Castors
« on: November 05, 2013, 05:25:11 PM »
I have decided it would help me greatly if I could fit some castors to my Anvil. Not the anvil itself of course but the stand it sits on.
The stand is a very substantial block of Engineered Mahogany approx 10" by 15" (long x wide)
If I could wheel my Anvil out of the way it would really help with the space issue in my workshop.
Obviously, a set of castors from a discarded "Hostess Trolley" would quite simply collapse under the weight.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

graham.
graham.

Offline DavidA

Re: Wheels, okay then... Castors
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:55:34 PM »
I suspect that you will have to put the anvil back down on a solid base before you begin beating on it.
Otherwise you will soon wreck the wheels. Otherwise, use whatever wheels/castors will the the weight.

Dave.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 05:06:13 AM »
Determine roughly how much weight you need to carry, divide by 3, then go find some castors which will take that weight. eBay is a surprisingly good place to find low-cost quality castors.

For the lifting up/putting down, thing, I'd recommend building a frame for the castors which is normally off the floor, which is lowered and locked in place by a lever which puts the castors down for moving it... hard to explain, I'll see if I can find a picture later.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 05:25:31 AM »
If its a big block of wood what about hollowing out some spaces to house little wheels and have some kind of lever to lower them when needed?
best of both worlds manouverability and no extra bits sticking out to trip over.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 06:46:19 AM »
Some sort of lift/lower arrangement as others have said, but I think the difficulty is going to be not obstructing the base where you want to put your feet. Can you make something that slips over the anvil and block, lifts and shifts, and is then removed for when you start working? Perhaps bore a pair of holes through your wooden block, through which you can insert lifting bars that rest on your lift and shift arrangement. I have the same issue but I'm afraid I just drag it out of the way at great effort.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 08:49:15 AM »
Take a look at this. It may give you some ideas.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/D2260A

Joe

Offline Dawai

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 08:09:51 PM »
Stick two wheels out one end? put a handle on the other, lift it like a wheel barrow and roll it around. It will sit on the floor till you tilt it onto the wheels to dolly it. Warning, one chunk on the floor can cause a endo-high side.. top heavy..
I Hung a 24 foot Ibeam this morning in the ceiling by myself, programmed a Arduino this afternoon for a solar project, Helped a buddy out with a electrical motor connection issue on the phone, then cut up a chicken for Hotwings. I'd say it has been a "blessed day" for myself and all those around me.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »
Something like this could work.

http://woodgears.ca/mobile_base/table_saw.html

Maybe you could make it from steel to survive the weight.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 01:57:08 PM »

Simon, that is a neat way of moving a table saw.
                                                                                           Cheers David

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 02:43:32 PM »
I can't help Graham but I have the same problem so if you sort it out please post some pictures. :thumbup:

My Anvil is only 1 cwt but I reckon the Oak stump it's mounted on weighs about the same!

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 01:51:11 AM »
What about lifting it with air (like a hovercraft). And it will blow all the crap into the corners of the workshop at the same time.

Jim