Author Topic: Cheapo foldable small mechanical pallet truck idea or suggestion?  (Read 7281 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Hello,

I have acquired some sizable lumps of treasurers that I occasionally have to move around the garage. Most of them are 50 - 200 kg. Handy solution would be about 1/4 size pallets and a small foldable pallet truck. I could make small pallets myself and I was thinking simple skates with commercial plastic wheels, but simple and effective mechanism has eluded me.

Normal size pallet truck would find some use, but I simply have no means to storage full size pallets and pallet truck.

Current plan is to get one of these:
http://www.pallettruckshop.co.uk/index.php/pallet-trucks/mini/mini-mechanical-lifter-hand-pallet-truck.html
I would be happy to get one of these, but probably they say +vat +this +that.
That should be easy to fold and place against the wall. Looks like it is small and does not take much space. Good thing.

BUT I was wondering: is there any even easier to storage or more madmodder type solution? Could use over center links or even screw to lift, because productivity is very little consequence here.

Any thoughts?

Pekka

Offline Dawai

Re: Cheapo foldable small mechanical pallet truck idea or suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 07:12:15 AM »
Things less than 350lbs, I put wheels on one end, wheel barrow handles on the other. When the one, or two stiff legs are on the floor it does not move.. much..

A couple of things I put screw down wheels on. A lot of my "stuff" is on 2x2 square tubing posts , and I have sockets on each piece of equipment to drop them in to use.  THE neatest rig I have saw dropped into floor sockets, I didn't plan that well ahead. I have a big Ibeam in the ceiling, a trolley and hoist, everything really heavy has a lifting hook in "center" to pick it up. (except the milling machine, lathe, and big presses)

Here, that thing you posted is called a pallet Jack, dolly.. the one I got I have a vortech engine and transmission on currently. It moves things easily but does not fold. I gave $50 american for mine, had to add oil, pull the rubber plug, add, put plug back in. Each time you use it, the casters are so small you must sweep the floor like you are going to do surgery in the room cause a tiny gravel will cause problems.  THE jack seal rebuild kit for the dolly I have is $300.. no clue what they cost new for a name brand like mine. I'll continue to add the oil as needed.

And each time I walk around that vortech engine I rip my clothes with the hoses-lines-tubing-brackets sticking out that are sharp.. the best place to store that dolly is under that engine.  I gave away a half dozen "hot rod" engines because of space and that same reason.
I Hung a 24 foot Ibeam this morning in the ceiling by myself, programmed a Arduino this afternoon for a solar project, Helped a buddy out with a electrical motor connection issue on the phone, then cut up a chicken for Hotwings. I'd say it has been a "blessed day" for myself and all those around me.

Offline Dawai

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:29:20 AM »
I left out.. on them casters.. some I used chinese casters that mount on a square plate on the legs.  WAS A BAD Ideal.. THE square plate is about ankle height and will knick scratch and bruise a tender part of a old man. 

A better ideal would be a smooth welded loop, if you can't get the cheap $3 chinese casters a slice of a 3-4" round bar will suffice with a center hole.. it does not require bearings really.. perhaps a grease fitting?   Unless you use them on all corners, they do not have to swivel or steer. THE heavy C-press on 4 swivels is a pain to move cause it wants to go crazy and off in it's own directions. Hit everything close, and heavy, once you get it moving, inertia is a bitch.
I Hung a 24 foot Ibeam this morning in the ceiling by myself, programmed a Arduino this afternoon for a solar project, Helped a buddy out with a electrical motor connection issue on the phone, then cut up a chicken for Hotwings. I'd say it has been a "blessed day" for myself and all those around me.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 08:06:33 AM »
Liquid skin is a wonderful thing, it cures Uhh-Ohh leaks that normally require stitches. Kinda stings, but much less than sutures.

That sounds like the voice of experience....  :zap: ?
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 08:14:17 AM »
Thanks...I have one engine hoist loaner that I'm going to return soon. Brother does not need or want it back but winter is coming and it's taking too much valuable room inside.

I want to cart some stuff under HD storage self. Mostly sizable scrapbnium bar/rail or cast iron machine parts. Therefore pallet/loader type solution is sought.

I don't want to leave too much stuf on wheels. When good load is on plastic or sort of wheel it has tendency to deform. I also don't like to leave anything heavy on wheels - for a reason you explained well.

But I must say that you have a point
Things less than 350lbs, I put wheels on one end, wheel barrow handles on the other. When the one, or two stiff legs are on the floor it does not move.. much..
If I make sort of pallet/dolly that has one set of wheel on the far end and some sort of hitch on the near end, where I can construct some sort of skate/handle contraption. Yeah, that might work perfect and there would be no need to fold anything for storage.

You had also a valid point on this one:

I left out.. on them casters.. some I used chinese casters that mount on a square plate on the legs.  WAS A BAD Ideal.. THE square plate is about ankle height and will knick scratch and bruise a tender part of a old man. 

A better ideal would be a smooth welded loop, if you can't get the cheap $3 chinese casters a slice of a 3-4" round bar will suffice with a center hole.. it does not require bearings really.. perhaps a grease fitting?

Thank you,
Pekka