Author Topic: Cameras and Software  (Read 12754 times)

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
Cameras and Software
« on: November 10, 2013, 08:56:09 AM »
Gentlemen, I have a couple of projects running around in my head which I want to share with you.
I have looked through the forum and have read threads on Posting still and video content, but what camera/software do you use to make this happen.
Cheers John W 
If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Cameras and Software
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 09:46:12 AM »
It's probably not ideal, but for still pictures I take them on my iPhone, down load to my PC, open them using 'Paint' under Windows 7, resize them to 640x480 pixels , often need to rotate them as well depending how I was holding the iPhone, then save them using a name that acts as a caption to the picture when attached to a post.

By not using a photo hosting service, but putting them up as attachments, it means that as long as the forum survives, so do the pictures. There are several threads in the projects section where the pictures no longer show, as the server where ever the pictures were hosted is no longer running.

For the few videos I've done, currently I have no editing facility, so what ever gets shot gets uploaded to Youtube and a link embedded in the posting.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline TLGriff

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 09:58:28 AM »
John,

I use a Sony Handicam (CX-100) for my YouTube videos and edit them with Windows Live Movie Maker. The camera is more than adequate in the HD mode, but the software leaves a lot to be desired. It gets the job done, but it's cumbersome to use and limited in capability. I've been looking into new Video editing software and the reviews seem to favor CyberLink Power Director. I haven't tried it yet, but the price is right at about $50.

For stills I just use a Cannon pocket cam and Photoshop if editing is required.

Tom
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:38:38 AM by TLGriff »

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
Gentlemen, I have a couple of projects running around in my head which I want to share with you.
I have looked through the forum and have read threads on Posting still and video content, but what camera/software do you use to make this happen.
Cheers John W

John

Andrew makes some very good points in his post above.  :thumbup:

I am going to point you to what I consider good examples of responsible posting that is easy to read, shows good picture size and detail and will remain on the forum as long as it exists.

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,8261.msg101914.html#msg101914

This is a series of 4 posts by awemawson (Andrew). "Attaching" a photo places the photo or photo's at the end of a post. This keeps the photos current with the text and easy to follow along.

If Andrew had chosen to make this all 1 post then there would be 1 long post of text followed by 7 thumbnails. In order to read and follow the photo's there would be quite a bit of scrolling up and down. By limiting to 1 or 2 photos per post IMHO it is a better read.

The other option is one of the photo hosting services which are supposedly free but if not regularly maintained they can go by the wayside.

Feel free to ask any further questions and we will be glad to help. I'm looking forward to seeing your projects.  :D :)

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 11:24:24 AM »
To answer the questions in particular, I use a regular compact camera for both movies and stills, It is a Fuji Finepix F31fd.

I prefer not to use flash when photographing anything and Fuji Finepix has always been way ahead of the pack in terms of the quality and light sensitivity of its photo receptors. And at a very reasonable price -- I think I bought my camera for $150.

I don't give a fig for the supposed resolution of a camera -- which all manufacturers fight over. More crappy pixels doesn't make a photo better. A lesser number of good ones does.

What do I mean by good ones? My camera will shoot a dinner party in candlelight, with no flash, and the resulting image will look like a Rembrandt, rather than a sand painting of the inside of a tunnel populated by ghosts.

Its resolution is far above that required by the 640 x480, or 800 x600 typical useful photo printed on this forum, and more than enough for an 8-1/2" x 11" high resolution photo print.

Large numbers of pixels are a pain in the neck in fact, unless you are a professional doing commercial poster sized high resolution printing for an art show. There's little more annoying online experience than waiting an age to download email and finally finding out that a relative has mailed me a boilerplate "having a great time" message with thirty 12 megapixel photos of their recent visit to the zoo.  I have only a DSL connection here in rural Vermont.

And since to display them my computer must internally reduce them to less than a tenth that size to completely fill a screen anyway, what a waste of bandwidth, storage capacity and time.

I also don't pay any attention to the supposed zoom ratio of a camera. Most manufacturers post their zoom ratio as a combination of digital zoom and optical zoom. To me optical zoom is the only one that counts. Digital zoom just means that a microprocessor in your camera has multiplied the number of pixels it received from the photocell by some number, and then smoothed things out. Maybe.

Thus a low priced low capacity photocell, combined with a limited mechanical zoom mechanism, both producing a limited quality image , can have that poor image scaled up to an amazing number of pixels -- thus satisfying the advertising thirst for "high" resolutions, and "high" zoom ratios available.

Fuji, for some reason decided to go against the grain, and manufacture their own high quality, high sensitivity cells, provide believable numbers for actual resolution, and optical zoom and use high quality optics in reasonably priced compact cameras. Their light sensitivity was always at the head of the pack. I've owned 3 Fuji cameras over the years, and they have taken superb photos in all conditions.

They also take great movies, and with a 1 gig card, my present camera will record up to a half hour at 640 x 480, with low light capability -- and that's plenty for posting on forums like these. In fact I have to reduce size with software at that, or it would take me forever to upload. DSL upload speeds are typically about one tenth of download speeds.

My camera is no longer available -- though possibly obtainable through a refurbisher. But the compact Finepix F-series line is what I've stuck with, and haven't been disappointed so far.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »
Spot on vtsteam.

While I use a compact for pics in the workshop I only have to compare with my DSLR to know which is best for dynamic range and low light. 

I resize to about 800 x 600 or similar for the web and upload video to YouTube then link with the YouTube button.

Having said all that I've not made much to take pics of so far  :Doh:

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 05:25:13 PM »
Gentlemen thanks for your input, my photography up until about 3 years ago was still 35mm roll film I found I had more control but now having joined several forums I have to drag myself into the 21 century.

Andrew, I have tried using my Samsung Galaxy mobile but the results are disappointing (probably me) so I will put that on the back burner for now, but I will go with the idea of attaching to a post in these forums and by-passing third party sites.   

Tom, thanks for your input I will give your suggestions some consideration, the Cyberlink Power Director package looks a good deal.

Don, Andrews posts as you say are excellent in the way they are laid out, easy to understand and tell a story that is easy to follow.

vtsteam, I am not a point and shoot man (old habits die hard after 40 years of 35mm) I would like some control, as you say the battle of the numbers in digital photography is mind boggling.
My first digital camera was a second hand Fuji Finepix but sadly I cant get cards for it any more but may stay with the brand. In the mid 80s when digital cameras were becoming a reality I read an artical in a PC mag that in their professional opinion we would not need more then 3 megapixels, and for some people that comment still holds water ? it seems the consensus that 640x480 is the way to go.

Gary, DSLR is an option, you hit two birds with stone.

Thanks for your thoughts John W

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 08:09:33 PM »
vtsteam, I am not a point and shoot man (old habits die hard after 40 years of 35mm) I would like some control, as you say the battle of the numbers in digital photography is mind boggling.
My first digital camera was a second hand Fuji Finepix but sadly I cant get cards for it any more but may stay with the brand. In the mid 80s when digital cameras were becoming a reality I read an artical in a PC mag that in their professional opinion we would not need more then 3 megapixels, and for some people that comment still holds water ? it seems the consensus that 640x480 is the way to go.

Well for posting on a forum, yes 640 x 480 or even 800 x 600. But any camera even an older one will easily exceed that.

For printing you'll want at least 2 megapixels -- but numbers like 8 megapixels seems a waste to me -- and often it's just a multiplication internally of some lower actual optical resolution -- something your printer can do, or your software, and not necessary in a camera.

Every "point and shoot" camera I've seen has manual controls too, so you can revert to your old ways!

I used to tote around a Canon F-1 back in the mid 70's when I worked as a reporter, we'd push Tri-X up to 1600 to get some shots into the paper and feel like we were at the limits of what was doable.

Fuji has always been ahead of the digital pack in available light capabilities. My 3 year old F31fd is amazing to me, even now. Think 3200 ASA Kodachrome. That's what it's like in both quality and low light capability. I turned my flash off -- I've never once used it in 3 years.
Steve

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 11:42:26 AM »
vtsteam,
I have had a rummage through the internet and think I will stick with Fuji, garym has mentioned DSLR, these cameras take both Still/Video with very good results so this is the direction I am leaning towards.
I spent 25 years in the Royal Navy so a camera was a must, after a few years I bought an Olympus om10 and built on that platform superb (I still have the camera) AGFA slide film was my medium (later went on to develop my own) as family and my local photographic club showed great interested this was the best way for me to show the extent of my travels.
Once again thanks for your advice.

John W   

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »
I used to do photography as a hobby till I had one of those existential crises when I realised nobody except myself cared about my boring photos of trees and lakes.

I've still got a dslr but I rarely use it. I recently bought a Nikon s8200 for the HD video but found the point and shoot convenient for workshop photos in general. I can take the jpegs right off the camera unedited but the jpegs the dslr took almost always had too much contrast and terrible colour correction. I suppose it's expected for you to be editing the .raws manually in post, but I hear this is a problem with most dslrs. Older ones at least, I haven't read about them since the Canon 50d was new.

Not that i'm saying a point and shoot takes better photos, but in my experience it's alot more convenient. Cheaper too, so you don't have to worry as much about using your oily hands to operate it.

Edit: I'm not sure if I worded that very well. I feel camera selection all depends on why you're taking photos. I never felt comfortable taking photos for their own sake, and all the photos I take now are more about the subject matter i'm trying to show to other people than the photo itself. So to me photo quality is less important than convenience, and you can't beat the convenience of a durable point and shoot that fits in your pocket.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:03:39 PM by S. Heslop »

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 09:41:54 PM »
I used to do photography as a hobby till I had one of those existential crises when I realised nobody except myself cared about my boring photos of trees and lakes.

You're the one who counts.

People who are bored by what you make are boring.

I'd rather make something.
Steve

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 02:49:55 PM »
I use a DSLR (Pentax) and Adobe LightRoom.

Offline superc

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 05:37:44 PM »
Like some others here, I cut my teeth on film.  Dad used to own a photostudio after WW2 and we had a complete darkroom in our basement.  I still have his old Rolliflex 120 and his Welta.  Later on Uncle Sam once sent me to Nikon School and my old F-1 is nearby along with my now useless Phototerm developer machine (I am on a septic and well system these days so dumping developer chemicals is a no-no).  Yeah, Y2K brought changes.  A little Sony Sureshot at first.  Ultimately for the places I go sometimes, the environment I sometimes find myself in, water resistant became a must.  It didn't take long to learn the Sureshot didn't like rain.  Most of my better photos are taken with the Pentax Optio WP class of camera, but in a pinch I will use the (water resistant, drop resistant) Rugby II phone.  Images are fairly easy to transfer to the PC with either one if you have a USB cord of the correct size.  For picture tweaking, yes, you can buy Adobe, but I found a pretty good and totally FREE piece of imaging software on line.  It is called Irfanview and you can download it and the plug ins for it at irfaniview.com  Don't forget to get the plug ins and spend some time playing with it.  Of course it allows resizing of pictures, adjusting gamma and all that good stuff.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 11:25:46 PM »
Yep, Irfanview is my go to photo viewer / resizer of choice. It is a great piece of freeware. I do have more complicated software for really fiddly stuff but that is several versions behind as between Irfanview and it I get all I need done easily enough.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 07:35:56 AM »
Pentax DSLR, Adobe Lightroom and Photobucket for me.

I must add that I don't really like having to click on the small photos in some folks posts to see them full size.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 08:00:18 AM »
Panasonic Lumix, set on 5mp...... PhotoBkt auto resizes, to 600 x 800...... Youtube for movies.

I must add that I don't really like having to click on the small photos in some folks posts to see them full size.
Same here!

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 08:24:02 AM »
I use a Canon 7D, photoshop elements 8 and then upload them to my account with smugmug.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 12:02:40 PM »
Arbalsit, Stilldrillin,spuddevans  thanks for your input guys   :thumbup:  I still haven't made my mind up yet am still in the process of making my shop bigger   :bang:
John

Offline clivel

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 12:44:37 PM »
The unfortunately named The Gimp is free cross-platform and open source software that provides much of the functionality of Photoshop but at no cost.
It does however include an equally steep learning curve, although well worth the effort for those that need some of its advanced functionality.
Clive

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 02:23:40 PM »
Continuing on with the OPs questions, I often photograph my creations for showing off to family and friends. I have an old Fujifilm FinePix A210 digital point and shoot. Long ago lost the users manual. How do I reduce the reflected glare off metal bits in my photos? Can I clean that up with software?
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 02:32:39 PM »
I have an old Fujifilm FinePix A210 digital point and shoot. Long ago lost the users manual. How do I reduce the reflected glare off metal bits in my photos?

You can download a manual for your camera here...

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/support/ServiceSupportProductContent.do?dbid=687347&prodcat=598546&sscucatid=664271

Using a light box, e.g...

http://www.amazon.com/Square-Perfect-3085-SP200-Professional/dp/B000PC4A0O/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1400610474&sr=8-8&keywords=light+box

without a flash will go a long way to reducing specular reflections.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 07:55:12 PM »
Pentax DSLR, Adobe Lightroom and Photobucket for me.

Arbalist, maybe you already know this, but that's a function of how they are uploaded, and to where, rather than the camera used.

The thumbnail images you see in some posts are generated by forum software when you upload an image directly to the forum -- and it is over a certain size (relatively small).

The full size images you see in other posts, without having to click on them, are images 800 x 600 or smaller (I prefer 640 x 480 or 480 x 320) that are uploaded somewhere OFF of the forum (like Photobucket, in my case) and then linked back into a post body using IMG tags.

They really aren't actually on the forum, they just appear to be when displayed in a post.
Steve

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 04:30:37 AM »
Yes, I'm aware that large images aren't stored on the forum, just saying I don't like having to click on small images to see them full size. I actually downsize and export images at 1000 px wide, Photobucket then resizes to 800 px.

I think it's a really good idea to have the images stored on the site, just wish they could be displayed at 800 px wide without having to click on them. I also wish the site could be set up to prevent uploads of pictures that are too large to view easily.

Not seen any forum yet that's got picture hosting/viewing 100% right but it's something to aim for!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 08:12:01 AM »
It's very rarely, I click on a thumbnail pic.

Usually, I can make out most of what I need to see.......  :thumbup:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 09:36:35 AM »
Yes, I'm aware that large images aren't stored on the forum, just saying I don't like having to click on small images to see them full size. I actually downsize and export images at 1000 px wide, Photobucket then resizes to 800 px.

I think it's a really good idea to have the images stored on the site, just wish they could be displayed at 800 px wide without having to click on them. I also wish the site could be set up to prevent uploads of pictures that are too large to view easily.

Not seen any forum yet that's got picture hosting/viewing 100% right but it's something to aim for!

I run an SMF forum and it is possible to set the max size of an upload, max dimensions of a photo to display inline, and to turn off thumbnails. It's located in Board Configuration>Attachment Settings.

There may be other reasons for not doing so --  bandwidth is one of them since it adds to costs. Especially with spiders and crawlers repeatedly combing and indexing info, bandwidth can get pumped up needlessly if settings aren't carefully thought out.

One way to keep band width down without thumbnails Is to keep set a low byte count for photos -- say under 100k -- that forces people to reduce upload file sizes and a good 640 or 480 pixel wide jpg can usually easily be kept within that limit. That's plenty to see a good quality image, and a lot larger than a thumbnail.
Steve