Author Topic: Caliper brackets  (Read 9545 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Caliper brackets
« on: November 10, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »
Another race car part.... the change from Ford to Eurocar hubs means that whilst the old AP brake discs fit nicely.... so, time to give the old CNC machine a bit of exercise.

After a "few" wax prototypes (forgot to take a photo - will do so later this week), it was time to cut aluminium:

Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Caliper brackets
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 08:07:06 PM »
Bloody Nora!  :jaw:

Them there looks well professional!    :thumbup:

Now for the anodising!!   :)

Oh, Hi Ade  :wave:  Been a while  :doh: 

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:57:16 PM »
Very nice Ade!

Bead blasted?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 03:12:34 AM »
Hey Ralph - it has indeed been a while! I thought you must have got so leathered at CarFest, you were only just emerging from the hangover now.... Busy @ work I guess? Same here... Anodising - yeah, I did think seriously about it, but I haven't got the kit, and they'll be going on the car anytime soon. Maybe the next set...

Eric - grit blasted as it happens. Beads would probably have been gentler, but until I have a proper blasting cabinet, I don't want to waste the beads. Grit I've got loads of... On the upside, that finish took maybe 10-20 seconds to put on. Had I kept at it a little longer, I could have disguised the fact that the outside edge was cut with a rippa cutter, and not a finishing cutter...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 03:42:04 AM »
Very nice Adev  :thumbup:

You've mastered that Interact now I reckon  :bow:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 03:42:37 AM »
Very nicely made, Ade!  :clap: :clap:

Just one of my thoughts...... Stainless caphead screws?  :scratch:

Aren't they a bit soft, for this application. Compared to traditional, high tensile capheads.   :smart:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 05:33:31 AM »
Hi Ade,

Busy at work... Not so much. Busy with life... Oh yes! Great summer and a fun car means a lot of outdoor activity. Running the car club uses a fair bit of time too.

Yeah, Carfest... That was a while ago now....  I could claim a massive hangover if I were any one of the other club lads They were hammered for 3 days solid! But I haven't drank alcyfrol for 21 years. So no excuse there! (Got the club into next years show too  :ddb: Public tickets on sale this Wenesday 7am! )

Back in the workshop at the mo churning out pens, pencils, magnifying glasses, keyrings and anything else I can force out of acrylic! (Xmas prezzies)  :dremel:
Done a post on it.... Can't really add too much more to that without just sounding boring  "look, I've made another".  Even if they do all look different.

I might make a video on it. But I'm also contemplating closing my youtube account down cause Google are annoying me..... Will see what happens?

Now, this finish.... Couldn't tell from the pic's about the cutter.... So not bothered  :)  Still look great!

May have to invest in some of these chemicals one day?  Making lime green aluminium parts would be cool   :lol:

I'm going to have to come up with something genius for CNC and come over to let you teach me how it all works..... Don't hold your breath on the genius side of things though  :scratch:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 07:01:08 AM »
I dare to say you have gotten the hang of it. =)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 07:13:27 AM »
Mastered - hmm, well, I'm not breaking too much stuff at the moment.... although I nearly wiped out my 6mm cutter removing one of the hold-down tabs - ploughed straight through it @ 500mm/min - the cutter bent a quite remarkable amount, but didn't snap! Of course, I've probably weakened it to the point where it'll ping right in the middle of a really gentle but vital cut..

It' doesn't half throw swarf & coolant about! I need to fabricate a shower curtain/box for it...

David: I didn't buy the bolts.... I will suggest high-tensile replacements. I must also make a mental note to check them after the first shakedown trackday to make sure everything's still straight and in place.

I have to say - CamBam has been a big influence over the quality of stuff I can make - price is spot on, and as a piece of s/w it's immensely capable. Although I did the original drawings for this piece in a 3D cad package, I actually exported the 2D sketch in DXF format & with a few duplicated polylines, got it to do that whole piece. There are 2 toolchange stops along the way, and about 7 operations. I could, in theory, reduce that to 1 toolchange, but that would mean 4 or 5 ops with the part only held onto the stock by a few small holding tabs.

Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline tekfab

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 12:06:49 PM »
Hi Ade, nice job.  Perhaps if you were making another set you could incorporate a bigger radius on the edges of the bosses that the calliper mounts on. I'm being hyper critical,  sorry,  but every bit of weight saved adds up !.
Mind you i think your skills could be applied to a nicer set of steering arms.
It's still a bloody nice job,  well done.
Mike

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
Hi Ade, nice job.  Perhaps if you were making another set you could incorporate a bigger radius on the edges of the bosses that the calliper mounts on. I'm being hyper critical,  sorry,  but every bit of weight saved adds up !.
Mind you i think your skills could be applied to a nicer set of steering arms.
It's still a bloody nice job,  well done.

Thanks :) I was a bit annoyed to discover my brackets are 30 grams heavier than the originals :(

I may add some more lightness the other side of the 2nd mounting hole... and as you say, a bigger chamfer around the top edges could help too...

Aluminium steering arms? Bear in mind they have to turn 12" wide wheels against some fairly hefty forces... I think the steel ones will be just fine (for now :))
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline tekfab

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »
LOL ! i didn't say aluminium, just something that's not as offensive on the eyes ?   :D
Mike

Offline micktoon

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 05:25:10 PM »
 Hi Ade , they look very smart , top class work  :clap: :bow: :bow:

Cheers Mick

Offline krv3000

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 05:15:18 PM »
well dun

Offline Meldonmech