Author Topic: Which model engineering magazine?  (Read 19173 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Which model engineering magazine?
« on: November 12, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »
Hello,

I'm Pekka and I am shoppaholic :lol:

I have been subscribing MEW for several year and I'm loosing a bit faith on it. Don't like much what they have done to digital subscription pagage.
http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/

I'm not really big on building scale models, steam engines or IC engines. I probably will change my mind on IC engine some time. I have nothing against CNC, but endless array stepper motor routers and modified small mills are not very high on my list.

But I like building tools and general/special work shop stuff.

What are my choices?
What kind of mag. is Engineering in Miniature?

Pekka

Offline John Rudd

Re: Which model engineering magazine?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 01:24:18 PM »
Pekka,
In my opinion,EIM is much the same as the others....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 01:54:29 PM »
I stopped subscribing to magazines.
Too much advertising.
The articles seemed to be about the
items that were being advertised.
I just look through utube these days.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »
Thank you. Bugga. Is there any other intricacies with this mag. I don't see web version of it.

Most mags I read here send CD/DVD at the end of the year, and it contains all the copies with quick reference. With the cost they have to provide "some extras".

This kind of mags are free, but they have very little context
http://www.teknari.fi/
Might be hard to navigate non-finnish speakers, but to enter in chase "Lue Teknari", left/right arrows choose article and read down/up arrows. Some links and hot spots.

I like wring of Graham Meek. therefore I was checking EIM.

In principle MEW should be just the right mag for me, but I hardly read it nowadays.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 02:04:39 PM »
I'm with you there Steve, cancelled my subscriptions to Model Engineer, Model Engineers Workshop  and the American one, HSM many years ago. They all run out of contributions so churn out the same stuff. They often are very good for beginners to learn the basics but it was rare to find articles to capture my interest. I've never been a 'modeler' more a tinkerer and fixer, so maybe I was in the wrong place anyway ! Even the adverts were all the same.

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 03:41:34 PM »
Tinkerer, fixer, bodger, sums me up too!  :thumbup:

I'm afraid, after several tries. Those mags hold no attraction for me......  :(

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Mike K

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 07:45:48 PM »
One or both of the American magazines have collections of old articles assembled into books.  You might try that, as it seems to me that the older articles are more interesting.  Guy Lautard also has some interesting compilation books.  So for the price of a few issues of a magazine you get a whole bunch of the best articles.

Offline modeng200023

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 02:54:18 AM »
I have not been very happy with ME and the way it has changed so I have switched to Eng. in Miniature and will give it a trial for a year.
It is interesting to see a different approach and as the same people organise the Midlands exhibition which I prefer to the Sandown one I think I'll be satisfied.

John

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 06:23:29 AM »
Hi there, all,

In fairness to the publishers of magazines, we should remember that they can only publish interesting articles if interesting articles are submitted to them.   :bang:   :bang:   :bang: 

One reason why that might not be happening with sufficient volume is that we are more and more describing our projects and methods etc. on sites like Mad Modders and YouTube.

:mmr:  BUT .....  we probably can't have it both ways!

At one time, I had 50 years-worth of Model Engineer back numbers and I used to greatly enjoy getting out a volume or two now and again and browsing through them (I had no television in those days!).  Partly because I ceased to have the space to store them and partly because of other changes of personal circumstances, I had to dispose of that collection.  I still have some regret for that.

It could well turn out that the paper magazines have a more lasting presence than electronic media - what happens to my pictures on Photobucket when I 'fall off my twig'?   :scratch:   :scratch:   :scratch: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 04:26:51 PM »
Should not be a problem now they would also be in the cloud.  But to be safe stay on the lower twigs there is a better chance of being stood back up!  I'm only 60 and tell my son to always have at least 6 good friends to carry you out.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 06:25:33 AM »

I have built a long case clock, lathe rear adjustable boring tool post, a swing out screw cutting  tool post, and a small dividing head, all from Engineering in Miniature.  I have never subscribed to any of the magazines, what I normally do is scan the magazines in large news agents, and if there is anything that interest me, I buy it. When a build I like comes up I reserve those mags. until the build is concluded.
                                                                              Cheers David

Offline Joules

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 06:54:29 AM »
Another bodger/tinkerer here too.  I had the first 150 MEW but have recently got rid as I refered to them less and less.  The internet is killing craft magazines in general, they can't compete with the likes of YouTube.  I do though maintain a good library of reference works that are invaluable, especially considering the state of public libraries.  Just archive as much as you can, and leave a note for next of kin to pass it on, through forums like this.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Steam Geek

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 08:05:22 AM »
I object to paying for 50% ( on a good day ) of the mag to be stuffed with adveritsments, I know it keeps the cost down, but the prices and content are usually out of date and most suppliers seem to focus on the internet with their latest and greatest deals :wack:
Turning good metal into swarf

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 10:17:56 AM »
I actually ordered one year of EIM...first number had very little stuff I consider reading. Still spent more time on EIM than on last two numbers of MEW....shame really in principle MEW should exactly what I want, but somehow articles are less and less appealing. Most writers seem to traw the web and put all basics there and then stop shy just when it is about getting interesting.

But I would like to support a little magazines and give them a chance...scene would be somehow a little less interesting without them. Just afraid they are going to compete internet wrong way and loose what is good about magazines.

Pekka

Offline Mike K

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 08:24:17 PM »
Model Engine Builder is now digital only, so the yearly sub price is quite reasonable.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 05:06:18 AM »
Model Engine Builder is now digital only, so the yearly sub price is quite reasonable.

Looks interesting.

I checkked the site. How does it actually works? You pay and get a subscription number that allows you
* to download magazine that you can use indefinately, or does it expires?
* Is it open PDF or do you need a dedicated viewer?
* Do you have only one shot for one (or two) issues when they are published, or can you dowload earlier nubers too?
* Can you download earlier designs or articles with this subscription or is it a separate fee?

Pekka

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 07:54:09 AM »
I belong to a category which seems to have 'read it all before' and because there is so little which is new, I have given up paying money for someone else churning out what somebody did better- then.

Basically, I have what can be described as 'standard textbooks' , I have Machinery's Handbook( 1941 edn), I have Holzapfell which contains everything, I gave away Advanced Machine Toolwork by Smith( a great book) and Tubal Cain, George Thomas, Martin Cleeve and Chaddock. I have my dog eared copy of Sparey from my days when I played with 12" to the foot models- in 1948- and some are still airworthy.

Basically, that is more than enough for most people but perhaps with a double sliderule and a set of log tables!

Once you understand Euclid and the greats from a distance past- and you can stumble through these , there is little today  that evokes a stifled yawn. My only wish is that I could appreciate the old stuff more than I do.

Oddly, I am not alone in this view.

Cheers
Norman

Offline Pete49

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 10:08:37 PM »
Pekka its open pdf files and no they don't expire. For me, in Australia, its a great way to subscribe as the postage costs don't exist. I also subscribe to another US digital magazine for my other hobby. At the subscription cost of MEM I suggest you try it and if not happy you haven't lost much....Oh yes the other thing is MEM is digitising all their back issues too and are cheap as well
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »
Thanks Pete, I have to give it a tought!

I like books too. Some are easy reading and some are well indexed and easy to search. Some I hate, because I know that the info (or almost enough to get started...is here, but it is so hard to find and terse that it would need repeated reading.

Pekka

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 09:05:19 AM »
Hi Folks.

I too started buying MEW at its beginning, I'm afraid that it has lost most of its appeal to me now.

I'm a tinkerer, bodger and general fixerupper, mainly of tooling to make tooling to make tooling, seems like ad infinitum.

I've not come across any other publication that comes close to what was originally intended with MEW, but have occasionally had inspiration from said magazine.

Sadly I'm thinking of not renewing my sub next year...
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline modeng200023

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 10:19:53 AM »
I too have been thinking about the magazines recently. I have given up the Model Engineer in favour of Engineering in Miniature. I have maintained the MEW sub for now but time will tell!

John

Offline evildrome

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 06:59:26 AM »
I have a subscription to MEW. Often times there's little of interest but its made up for on occasions where there's two or three articles I find interesting.

I have Moltrecht 1&2, Machinerys (1940 something) and some Chastain books that get a look at now & again.

A magazine that would have suited us hardcore toolmakers would probably have been Projects in Metal:

http://www.projectsinmetal.com/category/projects-in-metal-magazine/

Ceased publication in 98. There are 3 hardback (well I have 3) volumes of collected 'best of' projects. These are excellent but pricey 2nd hand (£30 - £40).

I contacted Bob Washburn after Strictly IC ceased publication to purchase a full set (84) of the magazines. I didn't ask him for a discount on the full $8 per issue price but did expect to get a bulk shipping price. Nope. He wanted to charge me IIRC $3 per copy shipping. I offered to pick them up. Nope. He still wanted $3 per copy. I told him to go **** himself.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 09:08:13 AM »
Hello folk
Ref  ME and MEW magazines.
The publishing trade have a saying if a publication is failing, fire the Editor.
The two above mags have the same editor.
Need I say more.
I would like to but I cannot afford a libel suite, even if what I think is true.
Trev

Offline superc

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »
Sadly, Here in the US I have never even seen any of the mags you mention.  Admittedly I was much more into other types of publications when younger but there used to be a half dozen pubs now defunct.  Popular Mechanics for instance.  but about 4 or 5 years ago I started keeping an eye out for mags that dealt with metal working.  It is with great sadness that I report here in the Northeastern US the pickings are slim.  There are many, many more periodicals dealing with carpentry and even chicken farming and girls with tatoos on big motorcycles and Basketball or American Football than there are periodicals about working with metal.  I would imagine that in cities like Detroit or Pittsburgh or Bethlehem might still have some local publications dealing with metal working, but nationally carried in the major chains?  Well you have to hunt for such magazines.

I have found two periodicals not dedicated to CNC work (although I have seen articles that mention such).  They are "The Home Shop Machinist" and "The Machinist's Workshop."  Their publisher does also print a CNC type periodical called "Digital Machinist."  Although articles about models are occasionally found in them, most of it seems to be more about tinkering with projects such as making a Threading Stop for your lathe or some such.  The stores where I find them (Books a Million carries one of them, and Town and Country the other) rarely get more than 4 or 5 copies of each, so the circulation is small and possibly not much longer.  The website where each of the 3 can be found is http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/home?noredirect=true&noredirect=true  Worth noting is a link on the website offering a free issue.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 12:09:27 PM »
I'm buying mine at Chapter's bookstore.