Author Topic: Hello from eastern PA  (Read 4134 times)

Offline philjoe5

Hello from eastern PA
« on: November 18, 2013, 10:58:01 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just an intro about my shop and interests.

I have an X3 bench mill, a smaller Grizzly bench mill (Model G0704), a Grizzly 10 x 22 lathe and a Logan 10” model 825 lathe.  Then there’s a 4 x 6 bandsaw, a 3 ton arbor press, a bench top drill press and a 4 x 6 bench sander.

I’ve been building model steam engines for 6 years, all from barstock except for the steam drilling engine from PM Research.  I’ve built two of Ray HasBrouck’s designs, the #3 mill engine and the #10 reversing column engine.  I’ve also built a walking beam engine and a James Coombes Table (or Mine) engine and a Factory Engine, the latter two engines by the same designer.

I started my first IC engine this summer called the “Bonzer”, an engine design originating in Australia.  I began the project by learning how to make the spur gears.  I’ve since made frame members, valves and guides, cylinder, piston, con rod, cam, crankshaft.  So I’m coming along but have a ways to go.  Oh, and these guys use the metric system, can you imagine that?  So I have to translate all the plan measurements into “English”.  I Skype the designer about once a week just to keep him from chasing the “roos” off his property.

I’m self taught in machining and through reading, belonging to various forums and discussions with folks I volunteer with at a local model engineering group I’ve managed to keep the scrap bin from overflowing (just).

Cheers,
Phil

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Hello from eastern PA
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 03:24:07 AM »
Wellcome!

OT: Where is a plan for this metric engine? My stock, tools (taps, drills, reamers...) and brain is metric. I have put off all engine plans, because all seem to be imperial units, which I find pain. My view is that chancing the units is more than just 25,4...often fasteners and such don't scale close enough and then it's a bit of a juggle or redraw. Is theere some illustration or something to check how it looks and how it is made? I googled it and found some build notes, but very little intro or sales talk.

Pekka

Offline northumbrian

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
Hello & Welcome, thats a nice engine  :clap: :clap:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »
Hiya Phil!

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Been awhile! Engine is looking good. You gonna be at Cabin Fever next year?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 11:02:11 AM »
Thanks Eric, Northumbrian and Pekka.  Give me a few days to see about plans for the Bonzer.

Hi Eric,
Yes, I'll be at Cabin Fever for sure.  If all works out, I'll be bringing the Australian engine designer with me.  He's visiting in the States at CF time.

Cheers,
Phil

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »
Hi Phil!  :wave:

Welcome to the Collective.  :borg:

With your background and experience, we should get along very nicely.  :thumbup:

Join in, whenever you can. Enjoy!  :D

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 07:23:39 AM »

Welcome to the forum, look forward to your posts.

Cheers David

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »
Hi Pekka,

I have sent you a PM. I am happy to send you the drawings for the engine.

You can see my engine running at: http://start-model-engineering.co.uk/category/hit-n-miss/

Jim

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
 hi and welcume