Author Topic: Floating end mill holder.  (Read 38833 times)

Offline unc1esteve

Re: Floating end mill holder.
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 12:32:13 PM »
I made one of these also.  The only suggestion I have
is to use a chrome plated rod for the main shaft.  I am
going to retro fit mine.  It will make it smoother and
use less air.

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 01:36:09 PM »
I made one of these also.  The only suggestion I have
is to use a chrome plated rod for the main shaft.  I am
going to retro fit mine.  It will make it smoother and
use less air.

I have made mine from a piece of preheat treated stainless I had handy. The block was made from a piece I believe to be some 4320 according to a spark test and it checks out to be around 40Rc. I held the .002 clearance to about .0015 and I don't think it could get and smoother and it really isn't using an unbelievable amount of air. I have used a production air bearing where I work and this one preforms as good and maybe even a little better than they did. I think a chromed shaft would be unnecessary as when in use all the grit is kept away from entering due to the air pressure. Thanks for the info but I'm happy with the way it slides and preforms for now but if I do have trouble I'll keep you suggestion in mind.

Well I starting to think up a grinding head and slides for it now as I finish it up. I am thinking I'll make a grinding head spindle first and go from there. I would like to get a spindle made that I can set at variable angles and adjust height to what it needs to be we shall see.
  Anyway back out to get the finger and components to hold it done and wrap this build up.

George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 06:07:11 PM »
Ok I started with a length of 1/2 dia stock and a short plug of 7/8 dia. The short plug will be silver soldered to end of 1/2 dia shaft.

soldered up

square up in 5c collet bloc to mill width and drill and ream 7/16 dia hole.

spot face, drill and tap cleaves clamp hole. Then band saw slot and open up clearance hole down to the slot.

Cut a piece of 7/16 dia stock and another piece of 7/8 for end again.  same as last one only no cleaves clamp screw hole and no slot this time.

soldered up ready to mill width and drill hole square up in 5 c collet block again.

Ok another piece of 7/16 dia stock turn 7/16-20 thread mount in 5c collet block and mill keyway.

ok milled step in opp end and drill ant tap hole to mount finger. Turned up and knurled a brass thumb nut .

And here the finger mounted I started with s piece of 1018 steel didn't have a piece of 3/8 dia tool steel so I heat treated the end by heating to red the plunge into some sugar then heat to bright red again and quench in water it did turn out hard a file wont cut it now anyway the sugar definitely added carbon like it was suppose to so it worked.

Just a few minor things to do some deburing and it should be ready to go.
George

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 06:32:37 PM »
Its prob just me.. But what is this contraption used for??
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »
The spindle that goes into it holds an end mill and the spindle floats on air so you can move it back and forth friction less, the finger is set to guide the flutes of the end mill as it is sharpened. The leaver tilts the whole spindle and finger set up into the grinding wheel for grinding then away from grinding wheel to index end mill to next flute.
Then when to flip the leaver back to grind position it moves back into wheel to the exact grind position for grinding the next flute.
  I'll post video once I get a grinding head set up and show it in action.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »

Basically does the same as in this video

I just need to come up with a grinding head and a dovetail type slide.
The trick is the floating spindle will make it so you can feel the grinding action and grind with a smooth travel. 

I need to also order another CBN wheel I have one I use for hand sharpening carbide tools wish I could remember what grit I ordered any tips on what grit I should be looking at anyone?
George

Offline mattinker

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »

Basically does the same as in this video

I just need to come up with a grinding head and a dovetail type slide.
The trick is the floating spindle will make it so you can feel the grinding action and grind with a smooth travel. 

I need to also order another CBN wheel I have one I use for hand sharpening carbide tools wish I could remember what grit I ordered any tips on what grit I should be looking at anyone?

Thanks for the Video, I've been waiting to understand what you're building too!

Regards, Matthew.

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 03:06:34 PM »
Your welcome Matthew I know sometimes I'm hard follow sometimes have a hard time explaining or showing.

Well I have come to the conclusion doing this project that I need to get a flood coolant system put on my lathe. It should be a fairly simple task. Anyway I'm thinking about taking the holder apart for one last deburing and then might powder coat the parts haven't decided if I want to or not. I did round up a motor to rig something up temporary to give it a try.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 08:11:53 PM »
I recorded a short video showing how well it floats on air and it uses minimal air. It will start to float at about 15 psi and will float really well at 20psi. If I give her a good spin she will set and spin for long time.
  I started making some brackets to mount a motor and grinding wheel on the mill spindle like in the book but I don't plan on doing that permanently as I don't like the idea of getting grit on the ways of the mill.
Still not sure which CBN wheel I want to order I think the one I use the most now is a 150 grit but not sure.
George

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 02:16:01 AM »
I'm following this with great interest. Are you making things up as you progress or are you working to an existing design. If the latter are the drawings available?
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 05:18:49 PM »
I'm following this with great interest. Are you making things up as you progress or are you working to an existing design. If the latter are the drawings available?

Yes and no I started with plans and drawings and have gone my own way on some things (I tend to do that)
Anyway the plans and drawing are in this book The Shop Wisdom of_Philip Duclos by The Home Shop Machinist2.

I have it in E-book format
 You can get it here http://www.scribd.com/doc/135514905/Home-Shop-Machinist
George

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 06:24:07 PM »
Thats really impressive.. been looking into air bearings myself at one time, but was told it wasnt possible to make them efficient enough and low consuming enough.. i might think they where wrong now. =)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 08:28:16 PM »
This thing uses a very low volume of air I can run it down to just under 20 psi and as high as 60 psi and get excellent floating action. I think the secret is try and keep clearance around .002 and taper and out of roundness under .0002 mine is around .0003 as far as I can tell. I did spend a lot of time boring the main block to achieve it with a few free pass cuts with a nice sharp solid carbide boring bar that I ground up.
  I spent some time this evening putting a new cord on a motor I had laying around that I'm going to use for a temporary set up for grinding until I build a grinding head and some dove tail slides for a sharpening station.
  I talked to some co workers on what CBN wheel I should consider and now think I know what I want there and will get that ordered tomorrow.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 09:32:06 PM »
I've been a little under the weather and not feeling up to par so haven't done much in the shop lately, Hope to get some things done this weekend if I start feeling better. I want to get a temporary set up to do some sharpening and see how it goes on some HS end mills before I order a CBN wheel.
George

Offline Zadig

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2013, 10:46:43 AM »
I've really enjoyed this thread, thanks. Get well soon, looking forward to the updates.

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
Thanks Zadig
 Well finally felt better today and spent a little time in the shop today' I made the two spindle clamps. I took another video with it set at 20 PSI. Now to work on a temp grinder head for my mill to be able to sharpen some end mills. I'll post my progress on creating a grinder attachment. I'm thinking now of attaching to the dove tail on the ram I'll post some pictures tomorrow if I get some shop time.

&feature=youtu.be
George

Offline nel2lar

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »
Doc
Very nice work, I was thinking about an air spindle on my Quorn. Again sweet.
Nelson Collar

Offline Zadig

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2013, 05:57:14 AM »
Come on Doc, this is a good thread, where are you upto?

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2013, 06:22:18 PM »
 I thought I was feeling better but I'm still feeling poorly. Once I get back out in the shop I'll get back at it. I'm on antibiotics now for 2 days and must say I am feeling better. It sucks being sick during Christmas ans new years. Maybe tomorrow I'll get back at it I'm anxious to try my hand at the sharpening process. I do have a good friend that was the tool grinder where I work he is retired now but was very good at what he did so if I have trouble I'm sure I can get some pointers.
George

Offline Zadig

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »
 All the best Doc, get well soon.

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »
Well the antibiotics seem to be working feel a lot better. Nice to be back in the shop without all the pain feel much better. Anyway started working on a temporary set up on my mill.

mount for a motor I had laying around that I'm going to try and use for the temp setup.

mount on motor.

Now remember this is just a temp set up until I make up some cross slides and a spindle made up for the grinder.

Grabbed a piece of channel and mounted a 60degree wedge on the end and a push block to clamp to the mill ram.

mounted on mill ram

motor mounted on machine.

Ok now I need to dress wheel and set the proper height for the 5degree primary relief angle. Which is explained in the book pretty well on setting it up. Basically set a protractor to 5 degrees and set the point of contact with wheel to the center line height of the floating tool holder. So I need to get the center line height of the tool holder.

With that I took dinner break and after I post this will head back out.
George

Offline chipenter

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2013, 03:12:13 PM »
Sombody else who takes hard drives apart for the magnets and bearings , they realy clamp on don't they .
Jeff

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2013, 04:50:23 PM »
Hahahaha yes they do they come in handy all over the shop. I bid a buck on a box of hard drives where I work there must of been 60 or 70 hard drives all were good drives but I only wanted them for the magnets. I still haven't taken them all apart yet.

Well I sharpened some end mills and I am a happy camper!!! I'm uploading some pics and will try and get a video later. I do need to order a diamond wheel so I can do carbide I'm only doing HS right now.
And those that are worried this will use too much air I sharpened 6 end mills and was at it for 45 minutes and the compressor didn't kick in until I was finished. I am glad I finally went forward with it I had put it off several times.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2013, 05:21:08 PM »
Ok set the protractor to 5 degrees and scribed the tool holder center line height on protractor blade.

Then placed on table and set wheel height to where the point on contact lines up with scribe line.

set up and ready to give her a try. Taped old shopping bags to keep dust off machine.

I know its hard to see but this was just a primary grind and I tested the end mill on my NC mill after sharpening and was pleasantly surprised it cut like a new one.

This one I did the secondary grind and the primary grind and it to cut like a new end mill.

I am one happy camper!!

I'll set up the tripod and see if I can upload a video.
George

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2013, 07:06:46 PM »
You should be very happy.... i would.

you have done a great job very nice...... a bunch of people are gonna be envious as i am with what you have achieved. Well done sir...

Anthony..
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.