Author Topic: Floating end mill holder.  (Read 42448 times)

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Floating end mill holder.
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2014, 10:47:46 AM »
  You know Matthew I never thought of it that way vibration could be an issue as the whole purpose is to get a smooth running spindle. I guess
  I was thinking since the motor I want to use runs at a much higher RPM then I want I came up with just using a timing belt and pulley set. I may have to rethink this.
   Guess I need to look for a small flat belt supplier. I'm going to work on the table and give this more thought thanks again. This is the kind of feed back I desire as I'm sort of out of my comfort zone. 
George

Offline rowbare

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2014, 01:04:44 PM »
    Guess I need to look for a small flat belt supplier.

Try a vacuum cleaner repair shop.

bob

Offline mattinker

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2014, 02:33:30 PM »
George,

I wasn't the one who suggested that you might have vibration problems with timing belts, it was Phil.

I replaced the "V" belt (not original) with timing belts on my Clarkson T&G and I didn't have vibration problems. I used timing belts because like flat belts they bend round small diameters well. Round belts also work very well.

Regards, Matthew

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2014, 02:45:45 PM »
I'm sorry Matthew! Must of had another senior moment.

I'm re thinking the whole belt concept I may try a lovejoy connector and a different motor. Still thinking thing through I did get the bearings installed in housing and the spindle put into the housing and ran it temporary with a set up. Everything looked good wheel ran with no vibration but the motor I had planed to use just seemed a little under power for this.
George

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2014, 08:44:14 PM »
What better place to get flat belts than every bodies favourite Tony at http://www.lathes.co.uk/page4.html
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »
 Well I made a couple flat belt pulleys and I think I'm back with using a belt. I went to walmart and got a belt for the Dirt Devil was the shortest they had I think they will work. I'll get motor mounts made tomorrow and see how it goes.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2014, 08:45:23 PM »
Well made mounting block to mount motor and test run it setting on my small knee on the surface plate. Ran nice and smooth and should work good for sharpening Carbide end mills. I'm going to go ahead and set it up with my temporary set up I made for my mill and see if I can sharpen some carbide end mills. We will see how it goes and by the way the motor is nothing more than a 12 volt heater motor and I used my test box I wired up from an old computer power supply. I may just use that for powering it I have several power supplies I salvaged from some old computers that were getting tossed. Wish I would of salvaged them all I could of had several dozen but at the time I only took 3 or 4 of them. Here is a short video of the new spindle setting on the knee running.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »
   Ok it is official I can now sharpen carbide end mills.
 I set it up using the dove tail attachment I made for my mill and sharpened a few end mills. I ran out of end mills to sharpen :D I did 3/4 dia ,1/2 dia and some 3/8 dia. I will be looking for a little bigger motor it is a little under powered but will do the job for now. I'm liking it!
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2014, 05:39:13 PM »
Here is a shot of an end mill before sharpening.

And after sharpening.

And a shot of a few I did this afternoon.

Well I think I'll call this project a success and when I get around to it I'll finish the table set up that I started.
George

Offline dickda1

« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2015, 03:17:10 PM »
Well Doc, about a year has passed since this wonderful project completed.   I watched your progress with great interest and am about to construct one myself.   Any advice after a year of use?
sunny (mostly) San Francisco, land of looney people, sane politics and occasional earthquakes.

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2015, 11:26:49 PM »
 The one I constructed has worked very good for me. The only advice I would give is to take your time on the main block with the bore and make sure the bore is straight and try for no taper.
 I have sharpened a lot of end mills with it mostly 1/2, 3/8 and 5/16 dia and has preformed very well. I have not finished my table for it I have been using my temp setup I made for my mill. When I sharpen end mills I cover all the ways with plastic shopping bags to keep grinding dust away.
Good luck!
George

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
    • www. sredmond.com
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2015, 10:06:20 AM »
Really great project! :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
www.sredmond.com

Offline Baron

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2015, 12:05:56 PM »

PS
  Not sure anyone is interested in this or not but I'll keep chugging along.  Someone maybe thinking of or has done one before.  Until tomorrow then, I'll get started on the rest of the build.

I'm watching, listening and learning  :coffee:
Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline CrazyModder

« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2015, 03:09:16 PM »
Yeah... you make sharpening end mills look way easier than sharpening drill bits... keep at it.  :headbang:

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »
Thanks guys!
I rally should get back to the rest of the build. I have been devoting my time to working on a V8 build but have been feeling under the weather so haven't been in the shop in awhile to make any dull end mills to sharpen   :(  But must say I am still very pleased with the way the holder preforms and does make it quite easy to sharpen end mills. I've shown sharpening the sides of end mills but neglected to show sharpening the ends I'll have to set up the camera and show that the holder works very well for that also.
 What I need o do is kick this dam cough I've gotten it's been over 3 weeks now the doctor thought I had pneumonia but after chest ex rays says it's just a sever cold.
  Anyway I'll eventually get back to this project and get a video made once I start feeling better thanks for the comments everyone much appreciated.
George

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
    • www. sredmond.com
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2015, 12:14:33 PM »
Get well soon, George. Glad it wasn't pneumonia -- I had that a couple years ago, and it's no picnic. Looking forward to more on this project when you are feeling better and have the time.  :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
www.sredmond.com

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2015, 12:48:47 PM »
George I wish you a speedy recovery. There seems to be a particular strain of cold going the rounds here that, although not particularly debilitating, takes ages to clear. I've had it for a couple of weeks, and those who probably passed it to me took at least four for it to go away. Just an irritation, nothing dramatic. A cure for the 'common cold' would be a blessing for man kind.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline nel2lar

« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2015, 08:38:49 PM »
George
I friend of mine Mark Fraiser is wanting to build an air spindle and I would like your permission to share your build with him. Please let me know something so I can proceed.
Cheers
Nelson Collar

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2015, 08:02:13 PM »
Yes feel free I posted it to try and help anyone that is interested in trying the same.
George

Offline Okapi

• Mes images de coeur
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2015, 06:57:42 PM »
You make really a super job, it's simple in material used, no big expense, and when I see the results… :drool:

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2015, 10:03:21 PM »
   Well it still preforms well the only thing I have had to do to it is occasionally take the spindle shaft and give it a good cleaning with some alcohol. I still haven't found time to get the table and rest of the set up done still been bagging up the mill to keep grinding dust away and using my   temporary (maybe not so temporary) setup. It is simple to use and I would suggest anyone interested in sharpening their own end mills to give it a try.
George

Offline SteveT

« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2015, 02:21:54 PM »
George a very interesting build and it looks like it works a treat, well done
Steven Tyrer
lives in Cardiff South Wales

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2016, 10:15:48 PM »
    The floating holder still works like it should only thing I have done to it it wipe it down with some cleaner now and again. I did change the motor that I was using on the spindle I built for the grinder and the spindle still works very good no end play at all in the bearings. Next batch of end mills I sharpen I may set up the video camera and tape how my set up works. 

Plus the next batch I do I'm going to try and do some smaller end mills the smallest I've done so far were 3/16 and they worked out ok. I have some 1/8 that I'm going to take a shot at.

I'll keep you posted but I do recommend anyone that wants to sharpen end mills and hasn't tried this tool holder to give it a shot. The plans for it are in The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos I did change a couple things but for the most part it is per plans in the book.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2017, 09:42:38 PM »
Just to let everyone interested that it still works great for me but I still have been using my mill set up. I need to devote some time at making a free standing table unit maybe re think and make it along the line of a Quorn tool grinder.
  3/16 diameter and larger have been simple to grind I did do some 1/8 but they are a pain the 2 flt 1/8 are too bad but the 4flt are the ones that really are a challenge.
  Anyway just wanted to let fellow home shop people know it works great and will save you some money (or make you some with sharpening for others) The only maintenance has been a wipe down occasionally with some alcohol.   
George