Author Topic: Floating end mill holder.  (Read 41266 times)

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Floating end mill holder.
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2013, 08:55:38 PM »
OK I'm liking it sharpened about a dozen end mills so far working good. Here is a video of sharpening of a 3 flut 3/8 dia end mill. I grind the secondary aprox 15 degree and the primary 5 degree. I make 2 pass's on each flut.
George

Offline Zadig

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2013, 02:08:11 AM »
How did you get on with the finger, was it as smooth as it looked? Was there any stickiness at all?

Great thread and great work, thanks.

Glad you are feeling better, stay away from the brothels.

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2013, 11:22:50 AM »
How did you get on with the finger, was it as smooth as it looked? Was there any stickiness at all?
Thats why when you activate the cam it pulls away from the grinding wheel. The finger is hardened and I'm guessing at 65Rc so it is smooth when you pull the end mill across it.
Glad you are feeling better, stay away from the brothels.
Hahaha I wish that's all it was I had a bad infection on some of my teeth that I had root canals done. And that happened right after I was getting over the flu.
Thanks for the comments.

Well I'm going to round up all my dull end mills and get them sharpened. Then I'll have to give my friend a call I'm sure he will have some to do also.
  I will order a diamond wheel today and get started on a permanent sharpening station.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2013, 02:21:19 PM »
Ok I think I have sharpened all my dull end mills and did a little test cut with a 2 flut 3/8 end mill cutting 7075 t651 aluminum the cut was over 1/2 depth. I have to say I am happy with the way it cut just as good as new. Cutter comp will take care of the undersize condition on my CNC so I am happy with the out come.
George

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2013, 02:55:42 PM »
George

Very nice job that you have made on that. By the way that it cuts I would say that you have a keeper.  :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing it with the members George.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »
George.

smashing............. BTW what mill do you have, that re-ground endmill slid through there like butter.

Anthony..
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2013, 07:03:21 PM »
Thanks guys the mill is this one.
G9902 9" x 49" Vertical Mill

Well I ordered a diamond wheel and I will now start planning a cross slide set up and a spindle for the permanent setup. This temp set up was just to prove to myself I could sharpen end mills and was thrown together out of junk laying around the shop.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2014, 06:26:47 PM »
Ok started on the table picked out a piece of MIC6 tooling plate that I had laying around it is 3/4 thick.

On my CNC mill

Key way slots cut and 1/4-20 holes put in ready for dovetail slides on the underside.

I'll start on the dove tails next time. I want this slide to slide to a given position with a lever action it will be used in sharpening the ends on the cutters I will be able to set edge of grinding wheel to center line of floating tool holder. Plus I'll need to cut one more key way at about 3 to 5 degree angle to mount the tool holder at proper angle when end sharpening. Anyway thats it for now.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2014, 01:31:34 PM »
 Well since I have the table sort of tied down to what I want I started modeling up the slides to mount beneath it. I'm going to attempt to make the slide dovetails with only a 15 degree side angle I think that should be fine to hold it down and straight and still slide nicely. I'll get out in the shop this afternoon (I hope). It is suppose to storm tonight and get some snow and be in a blizzard first one this year for us.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2014, 05:36:52 PM »
Ok I set up and cut a set of slides the adjustable sides will be made of aluminum and have brass slide inserts.

Done drilling and tapping the mounting holes.

Have I told you all I love this little devise wish back in the day when I was out in the tooling shop these existed.
Cuts down a lot of setting up a sign plate to set up the angles.

Done and ready to mount and dowel to the table.

I've got most of it laid out in cad now. I need to order some acme threaded rod and some nuts for the y axis travel the x will be moved by lever and linkage.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2014, 04:48:35 PM »
Ok I got a little distracted  :lol: seems my wife seen these seem to be square gears on U Tube and thought I  should make a set for my father-in-law for fathers day. Well I thought what the heck I'll set up the NC mill and cut a set out and here is what I got. I cut them out of some old lexan I had laying around. I'm going to get some wood grain contact paper and cover them.

Ok enough of that, I drilled and tapped the gib tightening holes and re trammed the mill head so now the dove tail blocks are ready to mount to table bottom.

Flipped and spot face back side.

I'll lock the gib set screws with a set of set screw lock jam screws.

These should work.

George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2014, 07:04:58 PM »
These pics are from last night I was about to post and the cable went out. We had some nasty weather they got it fixed sometime today.

Getting ready to transfer holes from dovetail to table using transfer screws.

Drill and counter bored the mounting holes.

Mounted first side and setting it parallel to the side using a 1/2 drill blank.

Ok both sides dialed in and doweled.

Didn't get much done tonight.

George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2014, 08:58:37 PM »
Ok I made it back out tom the shop a little this evening I had to have a root canal redone still hurts like hell but much better. Been hurting since Christmas so I'm hoping this will be the last for awhile.
 Anyway got the top table slides done and the seem to slide nice I now have to come up with an adjustable cam action for sharpening the ends of end mills I really only need about .500 of travel on the slide but the .500 of travel needs to be adjustable I'm thinking .75 to 1.0 to be able to adjust the table to where the center line of the tool holder meets up with the edge of the grinding wheel. The diamond wheel I ordered should be here any day now then I will start work on the grinding head and spindle.

Slides mounted to bottom plate ready to be put together.

Put together and need to create a cam or linkage to move table.

It's coming along slow but sure if this dam tooth would leave me alone for awhile.

George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2014, 12:43:40 PM »
Ok worked on the CAD file a little here is what I'm wanting to end up with.
Now out to shop and see if I can make some head way on the plan.

George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2014, 08:37:02 PM »
  well I received the diamond cbn wheel this evening and just looking at it, it looks good. I'm going to set it up and do a little checking to make sure it runs true to the hub and id balanced. Then I'm going to work on a grinding head and spindle I'm thinking a spindle with a taper shaft to mount wheel after I make a tapered hub mount for it so I will be able to switch from the cbn wheel to a regular grinding wheel and have them run true and balanced as I will make tapered hubs for each of them. I ordered some 3/8-10 acme rod and nuts for the table cross slide I'm working on that should be here some time next week.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2014, 08:38:22 PM »
Got out in the shop for a little time this evening and started turning up a wheel hub.

Need to finish nut and put in a couple spanner wrench holes and the taper hole in hub that will mount to spindle once I get it built. I'll be able to true up the wheel after it is mounted to hub. I don't have a diamond break dresser I'm hoping that I'll be able to true it up with a diamond point stone mounted in a dremel. Has anyone here dressed a CBN wheel without a break dresser?   
George

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2014, 10:52:50 PM »
I've never seen one of these tall devices with the counter that's visible in both these pics [1] [2]. I'd love to know what it is, could you enlighten me?

Great work on the sharpening machine so far by the way. I've learned a fair few things from this thread.

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2014, 05:28:06 PM »
I've never seen one of these tall devices with the counter that's visible in both these pics [1] [2]. I'd love to know what it is, could you enlighten me?

Great work on the sharpening machine so far by the way. I've learned a fair few things from this thread.

Thanks for the reply.
 That is a height stand here it is commonly called a Cadillac  inspection gauge. It is a Brown And Sharp like this one.
Brown And Sharp Cadillac height stand.
I got it at an auction for 50bucks and it works great. It was one I actually used in the shop where I work when I was out in the tooling shop. It is used in inspecting parts at the surface plate. I gives you the absolute height to the surface plate within .0001 depending on the dial indicator you are using with a height stand. With it you do not need to read the height stand and you do not have to worry about bumping your indicator as all dimensions will come for the surface plate. Not sure if I'm clear on the use I some time have a hard time explaining thing (I know) but if you are unsure of use ask away and I'll try again. Anyway I couldn't pass it up for 50 bucks (since it worked like new even though it doesn't look new.)

George

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2014, 07:03:46 PM »
I think I get it. The alternating recesses are so you can get the probe of the indicator in to reference off the surfaces both above and below.

It does seem like a real nice piece of kit, especially for $50.

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »
I think I get it. The alternating recesses are so you can get the probe of the indicator in to reference off the surfaces both above and below.

It does seem like a real nice piece of kit, especially for $50.
Correct I use it all the time when I check things on the surface plate.

I went out and finished the hub taper and mounted wheel and mounted between centers on the lathe to check run out and wobble of wheel I had .002 TIR on run out and .005 TIR on wobble. I plan on making a break dresser after talking to a friend of mine that is a cutter grinder he did give me some good pointers. SO once I get the spindle made and I dress the wheel mounted on hub it should run true to .0002.

George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2014, 02:55:01 PM »
Worked on the spindle this morning. I ruffed it out first and put center holes in each end. I the mounted between centers and turned to finish dimensions.

Now set up top turn 1/2-20 threads using the fish tail and double thread depth.
Set compound to 29.5 and make sure travel of compound is all the way in. Then touch off on major diameter using cross slide set to zero and then back off compound and turn cross slide a distance of double the thread depth and reset to zero. Now you are set now touch off using the compound slide and move to start position and adjust compound in about .01 and engage half nut and start spindle at the end of thread back off the cross slid a turn then reverse spindle back to start position and then turn cross slide back to zero. Then turn compound in another .01 and repeat as before continue this until you reach the end of the travel of the compound and now you are at the proper depth then the last cut I usually turn the cross slide in .001 or .002 and take a finish pass and thread should be good at this point. This is the procedure I've use for years and has never let me down.

Threads finished.

And the nut even fits  :thumbup:

Now I need to get a couple angular contact ball bearings and I can start on the spindle housing.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2014, 07:23:52 PM »
  Ok got the bearings ordered and squared up some stock and ruffed in the spindle hole now wait till I get the bearings then bore in each end for the bearings. I need to get pulleys and belt ordered yet I'll see if I can find some thing that will work tomorrow. plus I'll go back to the table slide tomorrow and see if I can move that along a little. The motor I'm hoping to use I want to slow the rpm down to half the motor so I'm planing on a timing gear set. That should work I hope.

I need to find a good source though anyone have a suggestion?
I'm hoping to find something on the smallish side along with a belt for the set. 
George

Online mattinker

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »
Just a note to say that I'm following with interest, I just want to thank and encourage you!

Regards, Matthew

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2014, 10:16:38 AM »
Thanks Matthew!!  :beer:

I was beginning to think I was talking to myself again. :(  :palm:

I'm still trying to find a supplier for a small timing belt and pulley set. That you don't have to buy 12 to 50 I only want 1 set. I have never used these belts on anything I usually make gear sets for my engines so this will be all new to me. I guess I'll have to go to Ebay and try and match up something there.
George

Offline philf

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »
Thanks Matthew!!  :beer:

I was beginning to think I was talking to myself again. :(  :palm:

I'm still trying to find a supplier for a small timing belt and pulley set. That you don't have to buy 12 to 50 I only want 1 set. I have never used these belts on anything I usually make gear sets for my engines so this will be all new to me. I guess I'll have to go to Ebay and try and match up something there.

You're certainly not talking to yourself Doc.

Why do you want to use timing belts? I would think the majority of surface & T&C grinders use flat belt or direct drives. My Quorn T&C grinder uses a round polyurethane belt in v-pulleys which is very easy to make. My other T&C grinder has a poly-v belt drive with home made pulleys.

Timing belts may introduce some unwanted vibration.

:beer:

Phil.
Phil Fern