Author Topic: New aquisitions...  (Read 4983 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
New aquisitions...
« on: November 24, 2013, 01:35:57 PM »
Yesterday, I set off on a mission to collect a new-old surface grinder, something I've been after for a while. So when one came up on eBay at about the right sort of price, and the same make as my lathe - well, I couldn't really be expected to resist, could I?

So, imagine my surprise when I get there to find in fact it is this:

It turns out it is, in fact, most of a Cincinnati #2 Tool and Cutter Grinder. Missing is the workpiece motor, tailstocks and cutter dressing attachment, and it needs a new stone.  Everything else about it appears to work nicely, although I haven't tried it under power yet. The rust is mostly feeble surface rust, most of it has come off with a bit of rubbing with a Scotch pad & some WD40.

The question is, I guess: Keep it for cutting/grinding tooling? Keep it for surface grinding? Throw it back on eBay & hope to get my money back or PX fro a dedicated surfacce grinder? What does the panel think...?
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline PekkaNF

Re: New aquisitions...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 02:27:58 PM »
I have fairly similar bugger in my garage. Only mine has a bit less of brown shade  :lol: but you probably paid a whole less than I did. I still haven't given a spin to it. My to do list:
* Level
* Find out spidle oil grade, change spindle oil
* Give it a spin....

I have given all accessories a good cleaning and cleaned up the whole machine outside. I also lifted the table off and cleaned all oil/grime inside, specially much the guide ways and 3/4" balls.

I still don't know if mine is good one, or a lemon. Never had one and never worked with one....I don't anything else than Tormek and bench grinder to compare. One thing for sure it's taking a lot of space in my garage. I would have been happy with 1/4 - 1/2 of what I got, but small ones were many times more expensive.

I'm planning to put some fireproof boards strategically around it and have to modify/make a catchment for sparks. I'm keeping mine, I might use it to make a smaller and less intimidating TCG.....

So, if you figure out spindle oil, let me know.

Pekka
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 11:41:38 PM by PekkaNF »

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 02:56:15 PM »
_envy_ - been scavenging for one for a while now.. 
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 04:05:08 PM »
Adev, it obviously needs a bit of TLC, but as I recall you have masses of space so I'd say it's a keeper. My t&C grinder doesn't get used often, but when it does it's one of those 'can't do it any other way ' tools

I seem to remember that I've got a work head for one of those tucked away somewhere

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 04:27:35 PM »
Ho man would I like to find something like that! It would go right along with the project I have going right now a floating tool holder. What a lucky chap you are!  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »
Lovely stuff!  I bought a little Herbert but a wee bit cleaner some years ago. When I moved house, it had to go and I regret its parting.

Mine was a surface grinder but I modified it to take a tool and cutter wheel head. Possibly the best- or the most practical is the one which Prof Chaddock used for the Quorn and then it was modified to fit on a flat bed  by Derek Brooks and written up in MEW 16 and 17. Much the same set up appears in the Stent which I built, sold and then bought a fabricated one.

I finally(?) went down a strange path and bought a Mk1 Clarkson with no tooling- apart from two sets of ends  :scratch: Later, I did a daft trick but it is perhaps worth a thought. I had a Vertex BSO dividing head and tailstock. It came with a Myford 'nose' and it went onto the little Clarky but I also had a set of ER25 collets as well as all the Myford goodies. So I could do end mill ends by two tilts and in seconds.

In another life, I had a mates Myford ML7 which was so worn that it would turn bananas- and not much more.
I had it Blancharded but the rest went onto the Herbert- and I did the saddle underside and all the vee ways on the little Herbert. In a week, it would turn to half a thous at 6 inches and he settled for that.

I look forward to seeing how yours turns out. Lucky you

Norm

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 03:16:07 AM »

If you have not got a tool and cutter grinder modify the machine to duel usage,  otherwise dedicate it to surface grinding.

Good luck with the restoration    David

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 09:21:04 AM »
At push, you could mount a 6" Double ended grinder as a 'work around'
 :doh: