Author Topic: Some questions for the Brit's  (Read 19785 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Some questions for the Brit's
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:02:08 AM »
Ok wife is now subscribing to Netflix, and we have been rewatching the series  called midsommer murders with John Nettles. Along with the other British Detective series of assorted names and vintages. Since they are set in fictitious villages in said fictitious area of midsommer.

Is every house, cottage and hall named?

Are there really so many places that have thatched roofs still?
Do they have some kind of permanent water proof roofing underneath?
How often does the roof thatched have to be replaced?
It would seem that it would be expensive to replace?
And do you have to replace it, due to some heritage law or can you put a different type roof material on it?

"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

lordedmond

Re: Some questions for the Brit's
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 10:01:45 AM »
Hi
not sure about all having names but most do
Yes there are lots of thatched cotages around all over the place say from the midlands down there are evan some new builds with straw hats on
no they do not have anything under the reeds/straw in a proper job   ( reeds or straw depends on where you are in the country )
about 25 years but they can be topped up in the interim ( they are a compost heap on your house so they do rot down and produce heat )
to put a new one on upwards of £40 K
they will be listed and local bylaws would privet the replacement with anything other that thatch  ( the native would go berserk as well )

Locally to us there are plenty around Castle Donnington air port  most have birds made from straw on the top as an finishing touch , the ridge style ect. are all local custom and other areas have different ones

hope that helps

Stuart

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »

Well summarized lordedmund

Cheers David

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 10:29:35 AM »
If you Google Earth a place called Knuston Hall, Irchester, you will actually see where they teach thatching as one of the courses. There are several thatched places within the hall area.

My wife and I go regularly to the saxophone and clarinet courses held  there.

Of course, if you check again the place was associated with the Arkwright family of the Spinning Jenny connection.

Offline angus

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 12:23:27 PM »
If you Google Earth a place called Knuston Hall, Irchester, you will actually see where they teach thatching as one of the courses. There are several thatched places within the hall area.

My wife and I go regularly to the saxophone and clarinet courses held  there.

Of course, if you check again the place was associated with the Arkwright family of the Spinning Jenny connection.

do you live local to this place fergus?

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:41:14 PM »
Ok thanks, as to the cost that is what I thought. And the rest about what I guesstimated. Beats the coppers on the show having to repeat 39 hogs head lane each time it is mentioned.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »
SNIP

Is every house, cottage and hall named?

SNIP

Many years ago, someone I knew moved from East London to a village in Dorset.  Their address there was 'Number 3, the Cottages opposite the Post Office'.

It seemed to work - I suppose they have a Post-Code (aka Zip-Code) now!
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 01:06:55 PM »

do you live local to this place fergus?

No, we are peri-pathetic and commute between being next door to an asylum, a whisky trail( Scots, of course) and a cave where a one eyed, deaf Arab used to keep a village maiden( well that was her story)

Norman

Offline bp

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »
Some of the place names are delightful too.  In 1970 I went to have a look at a "charming cottage" in Nether Wallop, there was also an Upper Wallop, Lower Wallop and of course Middle Wallop, there are probably more.  This place was delightful, 4' thick stone walls, thatch roof, etc etc.  Apparently built in the 1400s or thereabouts.  Walking around the place I noticed that there appeared to be a 2' or 3' high levee bank around the boundary.  Asking the real estate guy "what's that for?", he replied "In case the river floods", says I "...when was the last flood?", says he "1592".
Ultimately I couldn't afford the place, but it was really delightful.
Before we emigrated to Australia, my better half worked at a Solicitors office in Midsomer Norton.  Just down the road was a place called Shepton Mallet.  It goes on and on............
cheers
Bill

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 09:54:56 PM »
I used to live in Susan. A town in Virginia. Nearby was Shadow. Actually they didn't call them towns. They called them courthouses. And if you drove someone someplace it was called "carrying" them. So you might hear someone say, "I carried mumma down to Matthews courthouse to get a loaf of bread."

Another nearby town was named Onemo. Pronounced Oh Nemo. But that was an affectation adopted only fifty years before when it had been pronounced One Mo, because it was just one more post office, and little more.

Then there's Pennsylvania..........

ps. Forgot to mention another nearby town, Fort Nonsense.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 03:33:32 AM »
I like 'Pity Me' and 'No place' Both in County Durham but I was born in a place called 'Ryton' or Right On, if you must.

I've been to Lower Slaughter in the Cotswolds and lived to tell the tale. It doesn't compare with a delightful place near Dead Friars called Shitlington Common. Not too far away is a much amended place called Shilbottle.

Sort of English humour, I suppose.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 04:02:20 AM »
Well what about the Piddles ?

The River Piddle runs through several villages that take it's name such as Piddletrentide, Piddlehinton, then in the lower reaches they become Puddles, so Affpuddle, Briantspuddle, and of course the famous Tolpuddle of the Tolpuddle Martyrs fame (first formation of a Union - (agricultural labourers)

This is what happens when you have many centuries of history behind you - things evolve.

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 04:47:26 AM »
I have a wee Bhutt and Bhein North of the Highland Line which separates the Gaels from the Sassenachs :scratch: It's near Loch Ness and obviously has the  monster. ( well that's the story to be taken after a  number of wee drams.
Happily, the place on the River Spey is called Aviemore- and its incumbents are called Avie-morons.
Naturally 'Fergus O'more' is the mythical creature like BigFoot, the Long Grey Man, the Kelpie and the Abominable Snowman and across the hill lives 'Big Ears' and according to the Divine Right of Kings and all that jazz- will become King of England- someday.

Meanwhile- I am writing this from a GinGan or gingang. The people in White Coats are heading this way- bye!

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 05:20:40 AM »
In Hertfodshire is a village called Cold Christmas.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 05:45:40 AM »
When in France we frequent the GanGet, i visit my friend who lives in Newzealand  (only takes 20 mins to get there) just outside Swindon, This used to be pronounce Swine-don from the fact it was a pig market town a few centurays ago. I think they left quite a few swines here when they left?
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 07:49:59 AM »
Just outside our town there is a area called "Purgatory", also on the other side of town is a little village called "Bleary"

But near where my wife is from in Lancashire there is a place whose name really cracks me up, Ramsbottom, and yes, there is an Upper Ramsbottom, I always imagine people saying in response to the question "where do you come from?" "I come from Upper Ramsbottom" (up-a-rams-bottom)

Funny things place names...

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 09:51:23 AM »
I can remember being tickled when, on a trip from university to the Jodrell Bank radio observatory, the coach driver pointed out a road-side footpath entrance with a stile labelled "Peover" for the nearby villages.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 11:24:53 AM »
Just outside our town there is a area called "Purgatory", also on the other side of town is a little village called "Bleary"

But near where my wife is from in Lancashire there is a place whose name really cracks me up, Ramsbottom, and yes, there is an Upper Ramsbottom, I always imagine people saying in response to the question "where do you come from?" "I come from Upper Ramsbottom" (up-a-rams-bottom)

Funny things place names...

Tim

Back when we lived in Cockermouth in Cumbria we used to know a Ramsbottom family. The dad of the family was called Richard. So we used to know a Dick Ramsbottom from Cockermouth in Cumbria.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 11:42:47 AM »
So you( Simon)  moved from the Derwent to-- the Derwent!  :scratch:

Cheers

Norman

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »

Cheers

Norman

Norman

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 12:49:37 PM »

Cheers

Norman

Norman

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Presumably because there are several rivers in UK called 'Derwent' ( I live about 3 miles from one )

Having ( maybe ) cleared that one up, ...

Why has no-one mentioned 'Lickey End' yet ...  :scratch:

Bon appetit ...

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »
Exactly! There are two rivers- actually there are more but heigh ho, called Derwent in England.

There are actually two river Tynes- one in Scotland and one in England-perhaps 50 miles apart.

The odd thing is that my family also came from the Cumbrian Cocker which flows into the  Derwent and into the Durham Derwent- and flows into the Tyne- the south one- not the South Tyne which is part of the Tyne in England.

Now , kind sir, you must memorise this carefully as Newcastle is actually the old castle and the Roman Wall- there are two- again some 50 miles apart , was built-- by the French. Of course the bridge which spanned the Tyne had--piles.

You got all this? So what has this to do with model engineering, you may ask? Well, George Stephenson was born on the banks of the Tyne- the English one. So was Armstrong and quite a lot of engineers. Ryton where I was born was the place that Parsons played with his model turbines.
A bit before my time- I think!

Offline mattinker

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 01:25:16 PM »
Exactly! There are two rivers- actually there are more but heigh ho, called Derwent in England.

There are actually two river Tynes- one in Scotland and one in England-perhaps 50 miles apart.

The odd thing is that my family also came from the Cumbrian Cocker which flows into the  Derwent and into the Durham Derwent- and flows into the Tyne- the south one- not the South Tyne which is part of the Tyne in England.

Now , kind sir, you must memorise this carefully as Newcastle is actually the old castle and the Roman Wall- there are two- again some 50 miles apart , was built-- by the French. Of course the bridge which spanned the Tyne had--piles.

You got all this? So what has this to do with model engineering, you may ask? Well, George Stephenson was born on the banks of the Tyne- the English one. So was Armstrong and quite a lot of engineers. Ryton where I was born was the place that Parsons played with his model turbines.
A bit before my time- I think!

Hi Norman,

although well founded, your enigmatic prose is sometimes too enigmatic to be comprehensible without sub-titles!

Regards, Matthew

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 01:27:42 PM »
Much of the Roman Wall was built by people from what is now Spain

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 02:31:42 PM »
Some of the place names are delightful too.  In 1970 I went to have a look at a "charming cottage" in Nether Wallop, there was also an Upper Wallop, Lower Wallop and of course Middle Wallop, there are probably more. 

The film "Keeping Mum" starring Maggie Smith, Rowan Atkinson and Kristin Scott Thomas is set in the village of Little Wallop. It's a fantastic watch especially for our colonial cousins looking for a bit of stereotypical 'Britishness'.

'Would you like a cup of tea?' :)