Author Topic: Some questions for the Brit's  (Read 19710 times)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Some questions for the Brit's
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 02:37:24 PM »
Exactly! There are two rivers- actually there are more but heigh ho, called Derwent in England.

There are actually two river Tynes- one in Scotland and one in England-perhaps 50 miles apart.

The odd thing is that my family also came from the Cumbrian Cocker which flows into the  Derwent and into the Durham Derwent- and flows into the Tyne- the south one- not the South Tyne which is part of the Tyne in England.

Now , kind sir, you must memorise this carefully as Newcastle is actually the old castle and the Roman Wall- there are two- again some 50 miles apart , was built-- by the French. Of course the bridge which spanned the Tyne had--piles.

You got all this? So what has this to do with model engineering, you may ask? Well, George Stephenson was born on the banks of the Tyne- the English one. So was Armstrong and quite a lot of engineers. Ryton where I was born was the place that Parsons played with his model turbines.
A bit before my time- I think!

Norman

Regards my original reply to your post regarding "Derwent".

Being from Canada I don't know the names of many of the rivers, streams, brooks and puddles in the UK. Matter of fact I didn't know that Derwent was a river. I didn't know what your post meant. I even did a search on MadModder for "Derwent" and got a couple of hits on underwent and the one in your post.

With my luck, when the British crossed the pond they probably named a bunch of things Derwent. I just have not came accross any of them yet.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »
With banger's an mash?

Offline Pete.

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 04:25:21 PM »
With banger's an mash?

Bangers  & Mash - yesterday's supper!

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 04:29:34 PM »
Surely Bubble and Squeak was yesterdays supper?
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 04:39:22 PM »
With banger's an mash?

Sausages & mashed potato
John

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 05:24:07 PM »
Exactly! There are two rivers- actually there are more but heigh ho, called Derwent in England.

There are actually two river Tynes- one in Scotland and one in England-perhaps 50 miles apart.

The odd thing is that my family also came from the Cumbrian Cocker which flows into the  Derwent and into the Durham Derwent- and flows into the Tyne- the south one- not the South Tyne which is part of the Tyne in England.

Now , kind sir, you must memorise this carefully as Newcastle is actually the old castle and the Roman Wall- there are two- again some 50 miles apart , was built-- by the French. Of course the bridge which spanned the Tyne had--piles.

You got all this? So what has this to do with model engineering, you may ask? Well, George Stephenson was born on the banks of the Tyne- the English one. So was Armstrong and quite a lot of engineers. Ryton where I was born was the place that Parsons played with his model turbines.
A bit before my time- I think!

I was once told that Derwent was Celtic for valley and googling around seems to confirm this (and suggest it means more specifically a valley heavy with oak trees).

I also just traced the Derwent river of Gateshead on a map to check if there's any connection to the Derwent reservoir and it surprised me that it does indeed drain said reservoir. I was told as a kid that it had no connection to the reservoir, and with the name Derwent being pretty common anyways I didn't question it.

Also I was born in Newcastle and moved to Cumbria when I was about 1, then moved back this way when 4. So hopefully I can still claim i'm a true Geordie (and then pretend i'm not a tourist whenever I visit the lakes).

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 05:44:27 PM »
Couple of months ago i had to belt down to Northampton to collect a log burner from some little village in the back of beyond, no that wasn't it's name.

At the same time I arranged to meet Andrew Mawson who happened to be in the area on that day at a local pub in a convenient village.

It must be a nightmare for the local postie in these areas as when i was going cross country I passed thru 5 villages all called Adverse Camber according to the sign as you entered the village.
John Stevenson

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 05:57:57 PM »
Couple of months ago i had to belt down to Northampton to collect a log burner from some little village in the back of beyond, no that wasn't it's name.

At the same time I arranged to meet Andrew Mawson who happened to be in the area on that day at a local pub in a convenient village.

It must be a nightmare for the local postie in these areas as when i was going cross country I passed thru 5 villages all called Adverse Camber according to the sign as you entered the village.

There are a few up here as well  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 06:26:29 PM »
The Derbyshire River Derwent flows through some of the most beautiful and interesting parts of the English countryside. Starting above the Derwent valley reservoirs where the Dambusters practised for dropping the bouncing bomb in WWII and later flowing past Chatsworth House, one of the best stately homes, and then past Richard Arkwright's Mill at Cromford before ending up joining the River Trent in John Stevenson territory near Nottingham. I've spent many a happy hour walking along its banks.

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 06:32:14 PM »

It is normally the veg from a Sunday lunch fried up  :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw:
John

Offline Pete.

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 06:33:14 PM »

Yer can't have bubble & squeak unless it's with bacon, eggs and black pudding :Doh:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »

Yer can't have bubble & squeak unless it's with bacon, eggs and black pudding :Doh:

With fried bread.

Went into this posh restaurant, must have been posh, they had table cloths.
Ordered the all day breakfast with fried bread instead of toast.

"Sorry Sir we don't do fried bread "

"OK just serve it with a freeking big croûton then ..........................."

John Stevenson

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 02:23:03 AM »
 We were watching the local electricians during the maintenance at the top of the wooden poles and my neighbour quipped 'Don't they do well with those croutons?' No?

I was following the comments about  our various 'hachis' which became 'haggis' in Scots.

Then came a bit in QI about the variations in translation about the Burns Supper and the Chinese New Year held together and the German translation about 'the Mighty Fuhrer of the Sausage  People'
No?

Well, I'd didn't do the deep fried Curlie Whirlies beloved wherever the border is at the moment.

I hear that the SNP are going to tow Scotland away from England :lol:

Offline bp

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2013, 05:01:10 AM »
I hear that the SNP are going to tow Scotland away from England :lol:

In the mid 60s, at the time that Rhodesia declared independence and became Zimbabwe, (remember UDI??), I was on the Isle of Wight, and there was quite a strong push for independence for the Isle of Wight.  There was even talk of a bridge to the mainland at the same time, maybe the two were linked!

cheers
Bill

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2013, 08:37:54 AM »
I was thinking about thatched roofs and it should be mentioned that the alternative was a turfed roof especially in Scotland. This is why Scotland has so many corrugated iron roofs on country farms and cottages as replacements.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2013, 11:59:20 AM »
I ain't having any dirty sods up on my roof :D

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2013, 12:55:02 PM »
So interesting to read about all the different names, customs, and conventions within the realm of our forum members. 

In the United States the names of many towns, rivers, regions are derived from old, Indian words....like the Susquehanna and Housatonic Rivers.  God only knows how "Blue Balls".... "Bird-in-Hand" and "Intercourse" Pennsylvania got their names.   I don't think I want to know.  Some things are best left unexplained.

Frank

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2013, 05:35:09 PM »
There is one sod roof on vancouver island for a farmers market they let the goats go on it to keep the grass down.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2013, 05:37:07 PM »
so you don't need a roofing ladder you need a hoofing ladder  :ddb:

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2013, 05:43:59 PM »
We never hoofed it we took the car!

Offline beeshed

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »
Finding this thread reminded me that I must put my house sign back up. Been down for twenty something years but the TV tax demands still find me. After half a century the postie knows the occupant not the house name. All but Church Lane 1,2 &3 have names which means sometimes incomers like to change them because they can.
The new owners of Heatherside have renamed it Chapel House but most know it as Elaine's after the last postmistress who ran the Post office in the old chapel next door (vacant when they built a bigger chapel). Not to be confused with the cottage called The Old Post Office' where Elaine's mother and grandmother were post mistresses before. Neither chapel is near Chapel Ford named after the other chapel whose outline can still just be seen in the field opposite.
It is not uncommon for the older residents to call a place by its one time occupant who may have been dead 40 years so I don't know the names of all the houses so instead know 'Major Warne's, Moorlocks, and Mrs James' houses.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2014, 02:43:37 PM »
I ain't having any dirty sods up on my roof :D

It is better than having the dirty sod's living with you!  :D

Offline zimma

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2014, 01:24:43 PM »
Well what about the Piddles ?

Haha, small world. I live in Piddletrenthide! :)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2014, 01:57:23 PM »
Well what about the Piddles ?

Haha, small world. I live in Piddletrenthide! :)

Very nice part of the world. Spent several holidays in a borrowed cottage in Cerne Abbas when I was a boy. I hope that you've kept the Cerne Giant sparkling white  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex