Author Topic: WANTED (UK): Industrial lathe with at least 21" swing  (Read 2786 times)

Offline evildrome

WANTED (UK): Industrial lathe with at least 21" swing
« on: November 27, 2013, 06:02:36 AM »
Hi All,

One of my friends has picked up a contract to bore mixer impellers for various sized shafts (25mm - 40mm). The impellers themselves have a maximum diameter of 21".

His current lathe (DSG 1307) is too small.

I'm thinking a Triumph 2000 gap bed or Harrison 190 gap bed. Or maybe a Herbert capstan lathe?

He's got the money to buy a good lathe and he's going to do it but doesn't want to get bent over the table.

Any advice on what to get or heads up for suitable machinery would be welcome.

Thanks,

Wilson.

Offline Swarfing

Re: WANTED (UK): Industrial lathe with at least 21" swing
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 06:20:12 AM »
Tell him not to spin that too fast or it may take off?

Depending on how many he has to do, could he not set up on a mill with a rotary table for the job? i realise centring is everything but they would need balancing after machining anyway. Just a tought
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 06:30:29 AM »
Have a look at using a horizontal mill as a lathe,  it'll take up a lot less room. :)

Bill
Bill

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:48:46 AM »
Hi

Have a look at Lathes.co.uk, in their lathes section to get an idea of what is available in the size you want. Then when you see one for sale from those you have short listed you will be half way there.

Cheers David

Offline evildrome

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 07:11:27 AM »
I have a Parkson 2N and I suggested he get a similar sized mill & whacked a chuck on it.

He's not keen but we have seen a suitable lathe this morning so all may not be lost.

Thanks,

Wilson.