Author Topic: Plasma Cutter  (Read 15181 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Re: Plasma Cutter
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 05:43:00 PM »
I will chip in my little bit of experience with plasma cutters re built in compressors.
I convinced my bosses to invest in plasma and do away with the oxy-acetylene equipment, so first off we brought a draggun 35c? and it was fine except it used a lot of consumables and I noticed when it was starting there was plenty of moisture in the air flow probably imho the reason it used consumables so much.
now we have a cutmaster ?? which requires a seperate air supply and right away I noticed much (by a long way) longer consumable life and even a slightly better cut but that could be down to it being a tad more powerful than the draggun, not that I ever used either to the limits of their capabilities.
So even though you would get better portability from a self contained unit I think it comes with a cost.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 06:22:24 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply's
John,
portability's not really necessary, so compressor less will save a few green beer tokens I suppose.

jb3cx,
I think whether it has an on board/separate compressor you are still going to have the same problem if one of the functions goes belly up you wont be able to use the cutter.   

Pete W,
I haven't bought a machine yet just testing the waters.

shipto,
that's interesting could it have been that the on board filter was not big enough, that is worth taking into consideration when I buy my machine.

Thanks John W

If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer

Offline mfletch

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
Clean air is essential with plasma cutters I use 2 filters as far away from the compressor as possible; I would go for a plasma cutter and separate compressor, not as portable but think the plasma cutter would be better quality plus you can use air tools as well  :scratch:

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »
mfletch,
             Seems consumables suffer from moisture so with shipto and your hands on experience I think I will go with a separate compressor, my air system already has 2 filters so would be easy to add another for the plasma cutter.
John W
If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer