Author Topic: Royal Mail Lost Item Scam [ UK ]  (Read 14111 times)

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Royal Mail Lost Item Scam [ UK ]
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:12:40 AM »
Hi Troops

I've had six of these ( or very similar ) over the past few days ...  :(

Delete the buggers   ...  :thumbup:

As we often use RM for stuff it's likely that someone has something overdue-ish and it may look very plausible to them. 

Dave

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Cybercriminals-Distribute-Trojan-with-Fake-Royal-Mail-Emails-405262.shtml

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Royal Mail Lost Item Scam [ UK ]
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 04:16:17 AM »
I'm getting loads from Amazon saying here your tracking number of the items you have ordered.
Got 7 yesterday.
John Stevenson

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 04:36:22 AM »
I'm getting loads from Amazon saying here your tracking number of the items you have ordered.
Got 7 yesterday.

You have to buy your own prezzies ???  Aaaaaah ......  :D   :D

Dave

Offline Pete.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 02:17:45 PM »
Hi Troops

I've had six of these ( or very similar ) over the past few days ...  :(

Delete the buggers   ...  :thumbup:

As we often use RM for stuff it's likely that someone has something overdue-ish and it may look very plausible to them. 

Dave

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Cybercriminals-Distribute-Trojan-with-Fake-Royal-Mail-Emails-405262.shtml

I've had four of those but thankfully Virginmedia's servers have caught them and sent me a notification.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 11:54:41 AM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for your postings it's nice to be aware and pre warned.

Cheers David

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 05:19:49 PM »
Got 7 yesterday.

Guess who's dad just fell for this one!

...and guess who has to clean the mess up. The worm virus automatically infects any drives plugged into the machine (and vice versa), so he's gotten all his backups infested too.

I'm not even that good with computers, nor do I enjoy working on them, but it feels like it's my duty or something to sort these kinds of problems out. Either that or I worry so much about the damage they could cause while refusing to think.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 05:04:11 AM »
Got 7 yesterday.

Guess who's dad just fell for this one!

...and guess who has to clean the mess up. The worm virus automatically infects any drives plugged into the machine (and vice versa), so he's gotten all his backups infested too.

I'm not even that good with computers, nor do I enjoy working on them, but it feels like it's my duty or something to sort these kinds of problems out. Either that or I worry so much about the damage they could cause while refusing to think.

Now getting them from 'HMRC' ( ??? BLLX  :thumbup: ) apparently a Tax Refund ....

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm

Maybe tip off the Old Feller S .... better to leave the attachments un-opened perchance ...  :wave:

Dave

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:57:44 PM »
Dave thanks for the heads up, had a few from banks as well,
John W
If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 05:02:46 PM »
Hi Guys,

I've been seeing stuff like this for weeks.  A good hoot is the one where I'm being sued and because I failed to turn up in court I have to contact them before they send the bailiffs round.  Problem is I've never been to Utah.  Similar issue click and you get a virus or worm what ever.  Very difficult to escape from if you run windows !

Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 05:56:38 PM »
I always feel a little left out, reading this type of topic.  :(

I can remember an email from a Nigerian Prince, who needed my help to recover his fortune. Around 10 years ago.  :loco:

Other than that. Nowt!  :scratch:

So far.........

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 06:07:08 PM »
Maybe you need to get out more, Dave .....  :lol:

I never had this err.... excreta until about 3 months ago, now I get damn-all else .... Debt Recovery, Credit Cards, poxy Mis-selling stuff, even buttock/breast augmentation surgery for Chrissakes ... and stuff about banks I've never used ....

Glad to hear it's not just me.

Must have shot a robin ....  :bang:

BTW has anyone had their a r s e fixed, and was it any good ???  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Dave

Dave

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 07:04:27 PM »
I always feel a little left out, reading this type of topic.  :(

I can remember an email from a Nigerian Prince, who needed my help to recover his fortune. Around 10 years ago.  :loco:

Other than that. Nowt!  :scratch:

So far.........

David D

David

If you wish I could forward all my extra emails. I have filled out the details, given them all the numbers that I had and a few that I didn't know I had and returned it to what I hope is the proper place. When I last totaled them all up I had $32,476,823,894.13. Since I am going to have trouble spending all that money I figured I would pass the rest of the kind offers of trunks of money to someone else.

Give me your email David and I will forward these offers of riches to you.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 02:06:57 AM »
Dave.
Yer probably right!  :thumbup:

Don.
Thank you very much for your kind offer. The odd million or two would be nice, about now......  :D

Having said that! I've just noticed. Overnight, my spam box has 2 in it!  :bugeye:

Both from friends I've not heard from, in several years. And, on out of date addresses.  :scratch:

I won't be opening them.

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Jonny

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 10:38:42 AM »

Now getting them from 'HMRC' ( ??? BLLX  :thumbup: ) apparently a Tax Refund ....

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm
Dave

I had that one in Jan sent as an attachment.
Open in IE rang alarm bells.
Asked my accountant and he said hmrc never contact by email.
Thing that bugged me the Gov own various formats of that domain name, so someone has to have access to it. Insider?

Usually its the US and the spambots searching for email addresses someone has put up some where.

Had the lot even the Nigerian scam about 12 yr ago.
Supposed UK banks loads, Royal Mail, to US tax, nearly all originate from US in a trace.

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 03:10:26 PM »
Yes, had another today.  I now have to vacate my business premises before the bailiffs arrive...  But I can pay my debts with my debit card.  They wish !!!  Also containing a hostage virus,  the one that encrypts your computer and you have to pay in order to get your data back.

There must be an awful lot of people that get taken in by these b*******s.  It begs the question "who if anybody" is doing anything to stamp this behaviour out".

Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 04:07:24 PM »
Most of them do originate from the US ( although, with proxy servers there's no way to know really, AFAIK ).

The thing from the 'HMRC' prats is pretty obvious as they don't appear to know who I am, nor is the 'English' very convincing ...

Anyway Baron, as you appear to be somewhat distressed, I regret I can't help with Sterling however I do have some Embassy Coupons and Green Shield Stamps I am willing to weigh in if you wish.  :thumbup:

Dave

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 04:13:28 PM »
Pity you cant have something like reverse polarity in Electrics, return to sender it would very soon stop perhaps you may even get some cash.
I remember a woman in UK got a scam e-mail, she started a conversation with a person from Nigeria (how sorry she was to hear of his predicament) eventually gaining their trust so she asked for a photo of himself/herself, the silly bugger sent her one   :clap: game over they caught the guy apparently.
  John W     

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 04:21:22 PM »
Dave
  Blast from the past Embassy coupons, Green shield Stamps, I believe you could buy a Rolls Royce with them at one time.
 John W

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 05:55:59 PM »

Thing that bugged me the Gov own various formats of that domain name, so someone has to have access to it. Insider?

[Warning: This post contains what might be considered techno-mumbo-jumbo. But I hope it helps anyway]

Actually, no, not an insider. The thing is, the e-mail protocol that the whole world currently relies on, is massively out of date. It was first defined in 1982, when the number of computers on "the internet" were vanishingly small compared to today; a valid analogy I think would be one of those small isolated villages where everyone pretty much knew everyone else. So the SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) was born - and it WAS simple. No security at all. Any computer, in fact, could create an e-mail that purported to be from anybody, to anybody, and the system just delivered it.

Fast forward to 2014, and many servers still accept basic SMTP mail without questioning where it came from, or how it got there. Instead, most mail servers now run various anti-spam measures, which catch a mail as - or after - it has arrived & deal with it then, instead of rejecting it at source.

One day, someone will perfect e-mail security, it'll slowly be adopted worldwide, and then hacked just as effectively as SMTP... such is the nature of the internet...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 04:59:39 PM »
Dave
  Blast from the past Embassy coupons, Green shield Stamps, I believe you could buy a Rolls Royce with them at one time.
 John W

John

In 1971 you could have bought Rolls-Royce itself ...     :(   ( assuming they had change for a book of stamps ... )

However, on a cheerier note ..... some 8 years later  :thumbup:

Dave

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »
Most of them do originate from the US ( although, with proxy servers there's no way to know really, AFAIK ).

The thing from the 'HMRC' prats is pretty obvious as they don't appear to know who I am, nor is the 'English' very convincing ...

Anyway Baron, as you appear to be somewhat distressed, I regret I can't help with Sterling however I do have some Embassy Coupons and Green Shield Stamps I am willing to weigh in if you wish.  :thumbup:

Dave

Distressed ???  Far from it.  Some of these scam Emails are so obvious it surprises me that anyone falls for them.
As far as the court letters are concerned they are from the good old US of A.  But since I'm on the other side of the pond it doesn't bother me at all.  But I do understand that these mails are intended to frighten people into reading them thus infecting their computer with some form of nastiness...

For what its worth using a virtual machine helps a great deal here.  The virtual machine is simply destroyed when finished with just remember not to download anything and run it on your real machine.

Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline Jonny

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 08:36:53 PM »
So the SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) was born - and it WAS simple. No security at all. Any computer, in fact, could create an e-mail that purported to be from anybody, to anybody, and the system just delivered it.

Thanks in short does that mean if you buy and register a domain name and pay for the hosting some one can hack in to it create a new email address of that domain name and alter the pointers.
ie (hacker)@gov.co.uk routed to creators email address.

I am lately getting emails from clients mobile phone email servers that have been hacked. Usually the free big hosting ones.
Just gives a link (mumbo jumbo) to click on nothing else.

It was only three weeks ago I had 8 emails the same day with exactly the same content from 8 different email addresses

These things are totally different to spam mail.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 12:10:22 AM »
I put a period in my email address  and rarely get spam!

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 03:44:18 AM »
I lived in an era when there were real things to worry about. Spies disguised as art experts and art experts disguised as spies and 'bed time' affairs. People disguised as sheep and Red spies at night, shepherds delight :clap:

So if someone offers me- a free lunch or however it is served up, I check it out. After all it is the Wooden Horse of Troy trundled out , time and time again. It may have a new coat of paint or a new venue such as Stalag Luft3 or even the dummy airfield of wood in France which the Germans built and the RAF dropped a wooden bomb! :lol:

All that is happening is that someone expects that you are wet between the ears. Naturally, none of us are- and if we are, we shouldn't be daft enough to publish it. :wack:

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 07:16:34 AM »
Not to rain on anyones parade... Google "419 eater", it's a site dedicated to reveal and/or harass spammers.... They have been able to shut down a number of fake sites and even bank accounts used by people scamming money from people innocent enough to fall for their lies.

It can be quite a entertaining read in some threads, about fooling some scammer on a journey for Western Union checks or goods sent... Be prepared to spend a few hours there!

Some good links there too, to victims sites and warning pages. To post a link you need to register, but as far as I know, it's a good site! Sorry, I haven't a link right here to them, lost in computer change-over

Kjelle

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 05:53:18 PM »
Hi,

It's not that difficult to spoof a web link as in the one below.

www.gov.co.uk

which looks like it goes to a UK government site but in fact goes to Google and I'm no hacker or computer wiz. I'm not completely sure of this but I don't think the UK government have ever used the .gov.co.uk address. As for spam, I use Gmail and don't seem to get any spam at all.

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline superc

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 10:29:24 PM »
LoL, but my own spam filter catches a lot of stuff supposedly from gmail and hotmail. 

Actually my ISP finally dropped Postini (which was a pain) and went with roaring penguin, so most spam, I never see.  When I do see it it can be from anywhere.  It isn't unusual for the exact same spam to be sent multiple times a day from locations such as US, CN, BR, DE, JP, etc.  Slave bots.  Hacked computers and networks receiving instructions via Loki Ping or similar to send the following email, using the email address list found at IP#.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2014, 02:53:48 PM »
So the SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) was born - and it WAS simple. No security at all. Any computer, in fact, could create an e-mail that purported to be from anybody, to anybody, and the system just delivered it.

Thanks in short does that mean if you buy and register a domain name and pay for the hosting some one can hack in to it create a new email address of that domain name and alter the pointers.
ie (hacker)@gov.co.uk routed to creators email address.

I am lately getting emails from clients mobile phone email servers that have been hacked. Usually the free big hosting ones.
Just gives a link (mumbo jumbo) to click on nothing else.

It was only three weeks ago I had 8 emails the same day with exactly the same content from 8 different email addresses

These things are totally different to spam mail.

No, the hackers can't receive e-mails targeted at addresses they don't own, unless they have hacked/otherwise have access to the server itself. Once an e-mail has arrived at the server destined to handle it, it goes off the internet & into the recipient's mailbox. It could, in theory, be intercepted "en route" - as can any internet traffic - due to it passing through any number of routers & other computers along the way.

e.g. it's not possible to receive ".gov.uk" e-mail without being a government agency; but if the server's been hacked then someone could read it from that server, or set the server up to forward a copy to themselves, for example.

However, pretty much anyone in the entire world - given enough tuition - could send an e-mail TO you that looked like it had come FROM a .gov.uk address...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »

However, on a cheerier note ..... some 8 years later  :thumbup:

If Blue Peter started like that, I'd still be watching it...
Cheers!
Ade.
--