Author Topic: Popcorn Sutton....Rest In Peace  (Read 2871 times)

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
Popcorn Sutton....Rest In Peace
« on: March 22, 2009, 10:22:05 PM »
In another thread I mentioned a couple of colorful characters I'd encountered over the years. Marvin "Popcorn" Sutton was one of them. Sadly, I've just learned that Popcorn's last bust for moonshining was more than the old fellow could take. Rather than allow himself to be caged, he took matters into his own hands and ended his own life. Somehow life seems a little less flavorful knowing I won't, by chance, encounter him the next time I visit mountains of North Carolina. He was among the last of his ornery kind.... and he left us as he lived... on his own terms and giving the single finger to the judge.  Rest in peace, Popcorn.

More can be read here.... 

Steve

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Popcorn Sutton....Rest In Peace
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 04:54:21 AM »
Awww well damn.  :(

RIP to another purveyor of how it was..  Another feature of americana.. gone. :(
SPiN Racing

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 05:14:40 AM »
Even though it is not in my home country, a story like that really saddens me.

We are losing our heritage faster than ever.

IMHO, Popcorn should have been paid by the government to keep the practises alive for future generations to understand what it was all about, not hunt the poor bugger down to a stage where he felt enough was enough.

John

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 10:23:46 AM »
Sad that "THEY" have to pick on a 62 year old makin' a bit o paint thinner instead of going after the real threats.

May Marivin "Popcorn" Sutton finally rest in piece.  :(

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds