Author Topic: Perkins 4 Cylinder diesel model no 4107 or 4108..  (Read 25053 times)

Offline RussellT

Re: Perkins 4 Cylinder diesel model no 4107 or 4108..
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 05:48:30 AM »
You don't have a belt drive take off on that vintage tractor do you - or any other vehicles with suitably exposed wheels to get a friction drive from a tyre.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 09:31:04 AM »
No I don't Russell. But I do have a sixties era Ford starter motor with the very long shaft. And I might have a rubber boat trailer roller somewhere. Or I could buy one. I was thinking of combining the two. Unlike Simon's bike this would bear against the wide flat outside of the rim, rather than the rim side.

The rim that drives the generator has a 1" section with small grooves in it, as the drive is poly-V belt (automotive type), but the grooves are so small and centered in the wide rim face that I don't think it would bother a wide rubber roller drive.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 01:41:30 PM »
Hi Steve, I thought this link to sprag clutch bearings might give you some ideas for a unit that locks in one direction and freewheels in the opposite. These units are available with a key way on the internal and external diameters......OZ.

Link: http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Bearings-Sprag+Clutch+Bearings/c3_4585/index.html
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »
Any mileage in running the generator as a motor starter like the Start-O-Matic Listers?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 08:25:04 PM »
Thanks Oz, Andrew.

I actually already have a starter motor destined for this -- a 60's era (I think) Ford. These had a long shaft, Ideal for the rubber roller against the outer rim. I might even have a rubber boat trailer roller in the shed that would work with it. And I have a spare solenoid. All I need to do is set up a lever to apply the pressure to the rim of the flywheel. And a starter switch. Well, maybe also an outboard support bearing and arm -- not sure. And the time to do it!

Andrew, I've heard of someone else doing the starter/generator thing. But I already have a 5 kW 240/120V gen head belted to the diesel. And the starter motor probably doesn't have the bearings or cooling for continuous use.

Here's my starter:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:51:48 PM by vtsteam »
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg