Author Topic: Shop Built Center Finder  (Read 4891 times)

Offline 75Plus

Shop Built Center Finder
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »
I found this video while looking for a center finder to locate the center of various sizes of pipe. Works on flat and round stock. Looks to be a handy bit of kit. He also has a "poor man's" tool post grinder that looks to be easy to make although he only mentions it and does not go into the construction of it.

Joe

Offline fixerup

Re: Shop Built Center Finder
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 08:55:22 PM »
The center finder is simple and effective, I like it, another project to add to my very long list :).
I've made one of those dremel tool post grinder, they work ok, but they are not very rigid. I noticed a lot of flex with mine. I would move .0005" ahead and take multiple passes at the same settings and it would keep grinding away at each pass.  If I was to re-do it I would look at rotozip tool which might be more rigid.
Thanks  for posting.

Phil

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
Re: Shop Built Center Finder
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »
 :thumbup: Joe thanks for sharing the link plain and simple you could also make various sizes to meet your needs, as Phil says that's another tool to add to the to do list and another handy bit of kit in the arsenal, I have got hold of some 24v DC motors from electric pushbikes so a tool post grinder will be on the cards as well, I have struggled in the past so this little tool will make life a bit easier.
John W
If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer