Author Topic: casting pattern plans and practice  (Read 4535 times)

Offline Whizbang

casting pattern plans and practice
« on: December 18, 2013, 09:26:17 PM »
I am looking for input regarding casting projects from patterns. Is there a place to buy pattern plans for shop tools or useful equipment? For example one can purchase the castings for a die filer from martin model http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools.html. Which was a great project.
However this individual saw the item above and replicated it by making a pattern http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=5812.0 . I want to work on my pattern making, casting and finish Machining. Any of the tools listed on the martin model site I would be interested in making. I have purchased the G.H. Thomas books already.  I have cast aluminum over the years but would enjoy some challenging projects. I would like to move up from aluminum as well. Any iron pouring advice, setups or plans would be greatly appreciated. The only reference I have for iron casting equipment is the artfulbodger's waste oil furnace. If its possible to use propane or any other gas readily available I would be very interested.
Thanks.

Offline Meldonmech

Re: casting pattern plans and practice
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:13:13 AM »
Hi
    Welcome to MadModder, there is a lot of  info on BackyardMetalcasting.com.regarding furnace design.  Making patterns is the most difficult part of any complete project involving castings. If you have not made your own before, start simple and build up to cored patterns before attempting more challenging projects. There are many lessons to learn.
                                                                                                                       Good Luck  Cheers David

Offline unc1esteve

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 05:55:30 AM »
I am just starting to do castings as a continuation on making an
electric heat treating oven.  My first pattern was an ingot so I
could learn the sand casting process.  The final project for now is
a plaque of a hand carved profile of my grand daughters.  I have
not been totally sucessful as I am not able to find silica sand and
then not fine enough.    The play sand will not reproduce the detail I want.
I have noticed that the more castings I make the more the sand
will hold details.  Need a muller as I am too old to hand mix.
Going to look at pool filter sand next.

Any suggestions?

Offline Mizlplix

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »
Greetings:  In the past I have used the "Glass" Beader media I got from NAPA Auto supply. (It is not really glass in the pure sense, it is silica)

Glass is just silica and this stuff looks like very-very fine sand.  It allows a nicely smooth finish. too.

Miz