Author Topic: Little turner's cube stand thing.  (Read 11266 times)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Little turner's cube stand thing.
« on: December 27, 2013, 02:19:56 PM »

I made the cube a couple years ago for my grandparents but the first stand I made (a little brass pip it sort of balanced on) was rubbish and got lost. I just made the new stand in an hour (although it needs a coat of oil or something to finish it, and some solvent to remove the superglue I got all over the top bit). The base is made from some purpleheart I got in a box of turning blanks at a second hand shop.

What I thought was interesting was that I made it in an hour. I've been filling my garage with a plethora of woodworking tools. I made a tablesaw a while back and just finished a Cosmas Bauer style router lift.

Something like this stand would've been more of a project to me in the past, squaring up the wood and stuff by hand. But with the table saw (equipped with a crosscut sled) and router table it took next to no time at all. Machining the brass nuggets was probably the most time consuming part.

Make's it all worthwhile!

Offline Meldonmech

Re: Little turner's cube stand thing.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 03:25:06 PM »

Your cube is very effective, have you thought of lighting it with LED'S and a battery in the base?

Cheers David

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 03:45:56 PM »

Your cube is very effective, have you thought of lighting it with LED'S and a battery in the base?

Cheers David

I think that'd be a bit much for my grandparents, but thanks for the suggestion.

I just got the superglue off with ethyl acetate nailpolish remover. Funny stuff, billed itself as ACETONE FREE! but i'd say ethyl acetate is a whole lot worse than acetone. My fingers feel very dry now. I guess it's useful if you're allergic to acetone.

Offline waggle

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 06:26:05 PM »
Ethyl Acetate is horrible stuff. I used to work with it and in the quantities we sometimes used, we needed to wear a respirator whilst it was exposed.

I once ended up with around a pint over my head from a spilled jug. I was within 6 feet of an eyewash station so had immediate treatment and suffered no ill effects. However, on waking the following morning, my eyes were sealed shut with a crust that clamped my eyelashes together. The only way to open my eyes was by forcing them with my fingers. Really nasty stuff.
To make things worse this routine went on for over a month. Every time I slept I had to prise my eyelids apart.

Repeated exposure to hands can dry the skin enough to crack/split the area around the joints. Because of movement these cracks seem to take forever to heal.

Be very wary of this and indeed all solvents. They may seem just like smelly water but they hold hidden horrors for the un-initiated.

Tony

Offline ziggar

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 01:48:51 PM »
im pretty sure those cubes are actually supposed to be seperated ....

i thought that was the whole idea of that thing was to seperate the cubes so as to make it one of those coffee table talk about thingys that no one supposedly knows how they are done
you know the type, how the hell do you get a cube in a cube in a cube type conversation thing

looks to me half finished

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
im pretty sure those cubes are actually supposed to be seperated ....

i thought that was the whole idea of that thing was to seperate the cubes so as to make it one of those coffee table talk about thingys that no one supposedly knows how they are done
you know the type, how the hell do you get a cube in a cube in a cube type conversation thing

looks to me half finished

I think the loose ones look awkward, and don't provide very good coffee table chat either since the way they're made is obvious to anyone. I prefer the nail through wood trick for that.

As a plain shape this style has that kind of 'geometric' appeal. Like fractals or meander patterns.

Offline ziggar

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »
 "since the way they're made is obvious to anyone."

i dont think thats quite true, especially to people who arent interested in engineering in any way, but its your boat, you float it which ever way turns you on

:med:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 05:15:07 PM »
A turners cube is always connected as this one is...or at least the ones I've ever seen in flesh or on the internet have been! Nice job man!

Offline bertie_bassett

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 05:54:29 PM »
i believe a millers cube stays in one piece, whereas a turners cube is supposed to be separated.

either way its still a nice job!
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 01:03:01 AM »
Separated, Together, Floating or Fixed. Doesn't matter. Good looking little project with a nice touch mounting it. If you're happy, Grandparents are happy - That is what counts. Good job,
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline micktoon

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 04:10:06 AM »
Nice job Simon, I am with John B as long as you and your granparents both like it , job done  :thumbup:. For what its worth I think this looks better as you have done it rather than a pile of bits once the cubes are separated.
  Might be an idea if Ziggar would post a photo of his so people could compare what style they like best.

Thanks for posting, Cheers Mick.

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 09:03:34 AM »
After installing a DRO on my lathe a few days ago, my "test project" was a turner's cube. This is how I did it. I drove a little pin into one corner and hanged it by a magnet.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 11:00:14 AM »
After installing a DRO on my lathe a few days ago, my "test project" was a turner's cube. This is how I did it. I drove a little pin into one corner and hanged it by a magnet.

Wow that's really cool!