Author Topic: chuck refit  (Read 5580 times)

Offline krv3000

chuck refit
« on: December 31, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »
hi SOS for the pitcher quality must have bin a bad day for me right i got this chuck of the bay for spears or reaper the comment on it was the chuck is open all the way can not get it to close so any way i won the bid £5.79 with post well he did not have a go with mole grips or the vice to try to get it to work all i did to free it off was give it a smack with a raw hide hammer and it started to work so as per with me its has to cum a part no pics of this bit but removed the bottom ring by removing the screw then i put a screwdriver in the slot and this widened the ring to remove it then put the bottom of the chuck in me 4 jaw chuck with sum copper shim to protect the bode then with me oil filter removing strap slackened off the top of the chuck then removed it to work on it at the bench it all just unscrews on the bottom part of the chuck thee is ball Bering's be very cerfull on removing this bit as you don't want to be loosing any of them a part from sum rust witch i think was the problem all was OK i cleaned the bearings in lamp oil IE paraffin then put them in a bag for safe keeping then cleaned the rest of the chuck up i re pact the Bering's using graphite grease then reassembled the remainder with Chane loob but not on the jaws them selves right pics

Offline Fredbare

• Fakenham, Norfolk
Re: chuck refit
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »
Great job Bob, I have one like that which is very stiff, that I would like to strip down, but the top collar is not split like yours. Are any of the threads left handed?

John

Offline Pete49

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:23:43 PM »
Thanks for the how to Bob. Another piece filed away.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 01:29:46 AM »
Thanks Bob,

Jim

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 05:04:16 PM »
ih thanks for the coments the only left handed thred is the one for the chuck jaws i think your chucks have a coler on like the one in the pic seems prity strat fowerd to get off remove the shaft then mack up a punch that will fit in to the hole and the OD just a bit smaler than wat the coler sits on then mack sumthing that will go under the coler all the way rawnd then ether go daft with a hammer or if you have a press press it off hope that helps

Offline Fredbare

• Fakenham, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 05:35:07 PM »
Thanks Bob, I,ll give it a go.

John

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 05:36:24 PM »
for got to say the chuck is made in germany by albrecht capasaty is 0 to 8 mm

Offline micktoon