Author Topic: Hello from the Isle of Man  (Read 7218 times)

Offline Manxmodder

Hello from the Isle of Man
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:42:51 AM »
Hi there,I was reading and lurking around this forum for a few weeks before Christmas and I liked it so much I decided to join.

My Setup: Small,well equipped, home workshop with a MK1 Harrison L6/12" swing lathe complete with taper turner and optional capstan bed turret setup if required for small batch runs. All the usual 3 jaw, 4 jaw,various faceplate fixtures,full compliment of screw cutting back gears,traveling and fixed steadies and a set of Burnerd multisize collets complete with Burnerd quick release chuck.

Also I have a nicely restored ex production engineering factory Progress number 1 pedestal drill which was in a very sorry and abused state when I first got it.

A couple of MIG welders,one a Murex TradesMig the other a cheap but portable job.

History: Engineering apprenticeship in early 70's manufacturing components for the Aerospace and and offshore oil and mining industries  followed by apprenticeship in the hand made glassware industry,some years working in the structural concrete and construction industry,also involved in engine reconditioning/crank grinding cylinder re-boring etc.

Varying periods of self employment ,including currently,providing reclamation/restoration services on a very broad range of projects.

Own tool design and manufacture and experience of working with Chinese manufacturers,which frequently caused me to get to this stage :doh: :hammer:

Enthusiastic for all things engineering or tech based and fan of this forum.

All the best,OZ.

Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Meldonmech

Re: Hello from the Isle of Man
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:50:55 AM »
Hi OZ

Welcome to MadModder, look forward to your future posts, hopefully passing on some of your varied skills.

Cheers David

Offline Sid_Vicious

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 08:58:44 AM »
Welcome, with your skills and background you should fit right inn :thumbup:
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:54:10 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys'

I am very interested in Mick Toon's Harrison L5 lathe restoration project and the mods he has done.

That is going to be fine machine when he has finished it.

My Harrison is very similar to the L5 except the headstock castings are a squarer shape.

I hope Mick will be happy to compare notes and share mods and improvements both ways.

I am currently designing and planning an auto disengage screw cutting clutch for my lathe and this would also apply to Mick's L5 as the screw cutting box and lead screw are identical setups on both models.....OZ

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:34:57 AM »
Fastyr Mie yessir !

Dave

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »
Welcome aboard Oz, lots to see and learn here  :ddb:

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 12:44:08 PM »
Fastyr Mie yessir !

Dave

Aye, I'm alright yessir,I read yer PM earlier and sent a reply  :beer:

2 Manxies having independently found their way onto an international engineering forum is a fairly high per capita percentage considering there's only about 80,000 inhabitants on our little rock in the Irish sea

Dave, am I right in thinking you have a good deal of knowledge and experience with CAD/CAM/CNC?.....OZ
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:29:12 PM by Manxmodder »

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 12:48:03 PM »
Welcome aboard Oz, lots to see and learn here  :ddb:

Andrew

Indeed there is Andrew,it seems to be the font of all useful knowledge for the inquisitive minded.....OZ.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 11:14:02 AM »
Hi Oz

Welcome to the collective :borg:

One of my to dos, is to get over to IoM to watch the TT in person. One day...

Do you have any projects going?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 12:53:03 PM »
Hi there Eric,

A visit in person to the TT is a must do for anyone with even a fleeting interest in motorcycles.

We're always at the mercy of the weather ,of course, but when the sun shines and we get a good week of racing action there is no finer venue to be found anywhere.

Our residents and our Govt are very amenable and accommodating towards our TT and Manx GP visitors.

If you decide to come do let me know and I will do my best to ensure your visit is a good one.

I guess we residents are spoiled really, and many take the TT for granted because they have known it and seen it all their life.

When I was a youngster I used to get on my pushbike and take a 4 minute ride down to a spectator point at the bottom of Bray Hill where in the 60's I was watching the likes of Hailwood,Agostini,Passolini and other big names riding what are now considered some of the most iconic racing motorcycles ever built.

Do you have any bikes yourself?

I have a BSA Rocket 3 export model which I bought as an unfinished project in crates about 20 yrs ago.

It is still in bits but I have bought a lot of new parts from auto jumbles over the years,so I pretty much have all the bits ready for a restoration which I hope to get into in the next couple of years.

What projects you ask....Well I've just completed a taper screw type log splitter to deal with my firewood(works effortlessly and very happy with it) and whilst splitting some logs earlier I came across a couple of nice pieces of Sycamore and I've since converted them into a couple of turning blanks for a bowl or wall clock project maybe.

My motto these days is even if I only have half an hour to spend,I get out in the workshop and do something to progress the many projects I have in front of me.

There just ain't enough hrs in the day I guess.....Cheers for the welcome....OZ.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 01:01:05 PM »
Hey Oz,

I am a biker for sure... Unfortunately, no running bikes. Last one was a heavily modded Suzuki TL1000r and the wife had a Ninja 636. I do however have a couple of project bikes I need to get back to. One is a Honda Hawk GT (Bros, I think to you) for a friend. I am doing a bunch of custom stuff for him. I also have a Hawk GT in pieces that I want to stuff a RZ350 (rd350 ypvs) engine into and build an old school motoGP replica.

I have a few other things in my head to build that have 2 wheels as well. Just need time and money!  :lol:

My motto these days is even if I only have half an hour to spend,I get out in the workshop and do something to progress the many projects I have in front of me.

I like that. I need to put that quote to some use.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 01:02:42 PM »
When I was a youngster I used to get on my pushbike and take a 4 minute ride down to a spectator point at the bottom of Bray Hill where in the 60's I was watching the likes of Hailwood,Agostini,Passolini and other big names riding what are now considered some of the most iconic racing motorcycles ever built.

I am super envious of that! I hope to get to one of MotoGPs here in the US this year. I want to see Rossi race in person before he retires!
Science is fun.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 02:46:38 PM »
Yeah, seeing Rossi in the flesh whilst in battle mode would be a pretty memorable event,though I have to say young Marquez is an incredibly exciting rider to watch these days.

Rossi came to watch the TT a couple of years ago and did a parade lap accompanied by Agostini.

What is always notable is the first impression that pro GP riders and F1 drivers have of the TT when they see their first bike go down Bray Hill or on the back wheel through Rhenncullen at breakneck speed.

Mark Webber's response when he was on camera was legendary when he for the first time witnessed bikes coming over Ago's leap, he couldn't find any other words other than " F***kin' hell!"

It's here on youtube

Here is a youtube link to Vale's lap with Ago leading the way.

Bye for now....OZ.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:33:52 PM by dsquire »

Offline krv3000

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
hi and welcume

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 03:04:51 PM »
Isle of man, now i know your interest in bikes.. ;P

Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
Welcome Oz

Jim