Author Topic: Sunday Night Night Cap  (Read 17669 times)

Offline rick barnes

• Tapatalk User
Re: Sunday Night Night Cap
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 12:32:58 PM »
I agree with Tom, it's a fid.
Using Tapatalk

Offline krv3000

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »
well dun john

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 07:43:48 PM »

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 07:44:07 AM »
Oh, John - you give me a bad conscience    :palm: :palm:

I SHOULD do the service maintenance on mine too:

(Yuo can Google Translate to the right, just under the menu line - choose language in the combobox !)

http://kelds.weebly.com/skruekompressor.html

But I have not yet found out WHAT to maintain and where to get it !  :doh: :doh:
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 08:52:56 PM »
Hi John ,micks whatsit tool is not a fid.i have been using a fid for the past 40+ years ?finds are made of wood !and are used on rope!they are always highly polished so they slide between the rope layers  +no damage to the rope and less friction , marlin spikes are used on wire rope !and don't have a Handel on the end !as depending on what type of splice you are doing !you may have to drive the spike through 2or3 strands of wire at one time ,if it's a large diameter or hard wire you may need to drive it between the lays with a hammer ,thus no,Handel on a marlin spike  :ddb:
Regards peter

Offline tomrux

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 11:00:55 PM »
beg to differ. Marlin spike is a totally different thing. I have used metal fids for many years splicing flexible steel wire rope. better than 40 years spent as a rigger.
marlin spikes are used on sailing ships to tie sheets to with a "marlin hitch" (google it) then all that needs to be done is to remove the spike and it is undone.

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 04:12:29 AM »
I may stand corrected ,but for years I have always ,used fid for rope and marline for wire ,on google there are lots of different views on what a marline spike is used for ,yes I know about the marline hitch ,this is one of the extracts from google
A marlinspike is a tool used for tasks such as unlaying rope for splicing, untying knots, ... It is a polished cone tapered to a rounded or flattened point

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 05:19:56 AM »
John is there a chance of some better photo's of the tool in question please?

Offline mattinker

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 09:54:04 AM »
There would appear to be two different lines of "truth" in this, The marlin spike used for splicing rope (I had one on my "Admiralty pattern clasp knife" that I had as a boy)  and the belaying pin used like a cleat but providing a quick release when pulled out. I didn't know the other definition, the marlin spike called a fig and the belaying pin known as a marlin spike! My definitions are "Royal Navy" going back to my Great Great Uncle, (b1872) who taught my father (Also RN) knots and lashings that he taught me.

Regards, Matthew.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2014, 12:01:18 PM »
Hi John
Finally found your nightcap 10 & 11 updates on your website; nice prezzie from your pal in Canada, looks like you're stuck with the cap  :palm: careful when 'nipping your nuts up' again, can be very painful as you well imagine..  :lol:  :lol:

The chisel you have is what we 'old time fitters' called a 'diamond point' used for cutting into right angled corners, along with cutting oil grooves in bearings, splitting old bearings /bushings to ease removal, plus any other use we could put it to  :scratch: very similar to half round 'banana' chisel I used to cut oil ways into white metal journal bearings with.
Look forward to #12.

George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 05:50:28 PM »
How much was that fella asking for all those reamers?

I might give the Hexham boot sale another chance. The one time I went there I only found one guy selling a bunch of rusty tools as 'antiques' for quite a price, and then got laughed at when I offered somebody else £20 for a big worn out vise. They wanted at least £100.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 05:08:25 PM »
Hi
The reamers were £1 each (if you bought a few he would haggle)
They were all new  imperial sizes
John

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »

Can one of the more computer minded mods sort out these links  :Doh: :Doh: :Doh: :Doh:

edit:
No problem John. All fixed up now. Don
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 06:17:19 PM by dsquire »

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2014, 12:59:18 AM »
John how often do you read replies on here ?? :doh: That strange tool how about some better photos  :worthless:

I want to say thanks for the last few video's where you have taken camera along on your Car Boot scrounges, Steam Rallies, and the Model Steam Exhibition.  :beer:
 Even after 50+ years of being down under I still can see places in the background from when I was a kid came here age 5. Thats scary in a way.