Author Topic: Pointer dog woodcarving  (Read 25100 times)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Re: Pointer dog woodcarving
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 05:13:33 AM »
That is beautiful, you have a great talent  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 05:36:35 AM »
Mick

Great piece of work you have done

Tom
I think it's a he with it's under carrage  :D

Stuart

hmm yes (probably fixed)   :D

Offline micktoon

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 05:42:19 PM »
Hi Lads, thank you very much for the compliments   :bow:, its nice to know people like the finished product  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 09:15:38 PM »
That's amazing! I hadn't seen this one before!  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »
Mick just fell over this post thats some amazing carving  :clap: I wonder how you would go using a nice piece of Aussie hardwood or Huon Pine.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 04:09:40 AM »
Hi Ray, I bet I would be sharpening my tools a bit more, I have a bit of Boxwood and want to make a walking stick top of some sort with it so that will be a test, I know there are some lovely Aussie timbers that have good colour and finish reanlly smooth.

cheers Mick

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 05:12:42 AM »
SNIP
I know there are some lovely Aussie timbers that have good colour and finish reanlly smooth.

cheers Mick

Hi there,

Sorry if this is  :offtopic: 

I'm part way through making a replacement mantel shelf for our living room fireplace.  Softwood didn't seem right and I couldn't afford Timber Yard prices for hard wood.  Then I remembered that we had a stack of five railway sleepers propping up part of the back garden garden.

They had previously been part of the base for my workshop, first in Essex and then in Southampton.  When I moved the workshop here to East Hampshire we put it on a concrete base.

I bought them from a Garden Centre at Rayleigh, in Essex, and before that they had done who knows how many years service on the London Underground.  They are Jarrah wood, from Australia.  For those who haven't met Jarrah, it's a teak substitute, very long-lasting in damp situations and has vibration damping properties.  It is a rich red in colour.

I've recounted all this history as evidence of Jarrah's durability!

We picked the best-looking one of the five and carefully removed any nails and embedded grit.  Then my lovely but shy assistant and I cut it into boards, cutting first from top and faces with the electric hand saw and then removing the remaining material from between those two cuts using the 10" table saw (carefully, with the riving knife temporarily removed).  The first table saw pass was hard work as we were man-handling the whole weight but it got easier as each succeeding slice was removed.  A friend with a pro wood-working business kindly helped me by putting the boards through his big planer-thicknesser and matching the mating edges of the best two boards.  Then we biscuit jointed them together, trimmed to length and worked a moulding on the front edge and the two ends.

All that was done before I joined Mad Modders and so I didn't take any photos.  I'll try to take some when I perform the next stages of that project.

The job has been stalled for a while, I just need to glue two brackets to the underside of the shelf, finish sand it and then apply some hard wax.  It remains to be seen how smooth a finish I can achieve.

Mick, please forgive me for hi-jacking your thread - maybe I should have posted this under 'New from Old'!!   :ddb:   :ddb:   :ddb: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 07:19:50 PM »
Hi Ray, I bet I would be sharpening my tools a bit more, I have a bit of Boxwood and want to make a walking stick top of some sort with it so that will be a test, I know there are some lovely Aussie timbers that have good colour and finish reanlly smooth.

cheers Mick

Mick I look forward to seeing that one. I have some Boxwood here to turn into a bowl or something.

This was done some time ago and since then the finial has been re-worked and looks much better but I didn't take a photo after the re-work. The Red timber is Snow Gum White is QLD Beach http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aoknvTezfhA/SpD_D8ehmMI/AAAAAAAAAVY/PS9G61ZSMUQ/s1600/IMG_3909.jpg

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2014, 07:28:45 PM »
SNIP
I know there are some lovely Aussie timbers that have good colour and finish reanlly smooth.

cheers Mick

Hi there,

Sorry if this is  :offtopic: 

They are Jarrah wood, from Australia.  For those who haven't met Jarrah, it's a teak substitute, very long-lasting in damp situations and has vibration damping properties.  It is a rich red in colour.

I've recounted all this history as evidence of Jarrah's durability!

Pete Thats a great score at lest you know you have more of the same but different.

I have a nice stash of Jarrah neighbour tore out his stair case when renovating 11 step treads all Jarrah 40x900x450 4 of corner pieces large triangular shape. Friend works in a UNI destructive testing lab dropped off a 900x350 old telegraph pole badly splitting I still got 3 bowl blanks and two 900x70 1/4 bits out of that he then dropped off 2 280mmx2mx20mm planks all have grain which will pop.

Maybe a group of you should get together and do a pallet buy.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 02:51:36 PM »

Hi Mick your finished dog is very impressive, hope you will be exhibiting it.  I would consider it to be prize winning quality.

Well Done    David