Author Topic: possible burner design?  (Read 5195 times)

Offline jonogt

possible burner design?
« on: March 25, 2009, 04:21:16 PM »

as noted in the image, it's very similar to a backpacking stove.  the pipe/tubing going over the burner allows the atomized liquid fuel to be vaporized much quicker than liquid fuel would.  only things im unsure about are obtaining the pump and the atomizer.  any ideas?

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: possible burner design?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 07:48:11 PM »
How about somebody with a backpacking stove that they don't want anymore? Or try making your own pump.

You seem quite talented in coming up with designs. I'm sure a pump won't be to hard to design and make.

As far as the atomizer is concerned, isn't it nothing more than a nozzel that sprays fluid through a small hole? I'm sure one could also be made.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »
Hi is there a reason why you are going for this type of heater instead of say gas, Gas is so simple to use clean does not leave smoke maks and you dont smell like a wino after a days playing , and if set up properley less likely to cause a fire.. I am biased towards gas ,but it was only when people started using gas in model boats did steam become more popular as you did not have to be an expert at keeping a flame right to sail.  :bang:

this is just my opinion and I feel I may be jumped on but it is still only my opinion.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 09:05:56 PM »
Actually the atomiser is in the wrong place. Because you have the needle valve near the burner, if you are going to atomise the liquid, it will have to be done after the needle valve.
In fact it will be an unreliable system, because of the varying pressure in the tank.

You would be much better off using the burner heat to generate a self pressurising sealed system.

As Peter has stated, gas is a much preferred method of boiler heating nowadays, but depending on what part of the world you live in, depends on what the national legislation on boiler heating is allowed. In the UK, rechargeable gas tanks for steaming are subject to stringent independant testing, as are boilers over a certain size/pressure ratio.

John

Offline jonogt

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 11:01:39 PM »
thanks for the feedback guys

on the location of the atomiser, the reason I would put it where I chose instead of after the needle valve is because the fuel would be atomised and then VAPORIZED in the preheating tube.  It would be reaching the needle valve as a gas, not as a mist.  If I was planning to just have the mist go straight to the burner then I would agree with your point, but the hope here is that by the time the fuel reaches the needle valve, there won't hardly be any mist left.  know what I mean? 

on the fuel choice, by gas I assume you mean natural gas or butane or something like that that's gaseous at room temperature?  I do see why that's become a more popular option, but I like the use of liquid fuel in concept... it's self-sufficient.  Gaseous fuels are compressed into their containers by refined and expensive equipment... you're buying the fuel, but you are also paying for the manufacturer to do that service because you don't have the means to do it yourself (atleast most people don't).  A liquid fuel burner sports the ability to manipulate the fuel into the most usable state on its own.  I would much rather buy a can of denatured alcohol and refill my burner on my own at home at my own convenience than go and buy another can of butane each time one runs out.  It's a stubborn point of mine, kind of like devices that use up batteries really quickly.

on using the burner heat to pressurize the system, this is the other option I'm considering.  If I did this, I would probably still integrate a pump to use for initial starting.  I was thinking of moving the fuel tank closer to the burner, and then having one or several lengths of solid copper/brass stock running right above the burner and into the fuel tank.  This would provide radiant heating as well as conduction heating.  Do you think this could make enough to get the job done?  Denatured alcohol has a pretty high vapor pressure...

thanks again for the input,
-Jon

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 03:51:06 PM »
Here is a site making a model boiler using a modified backpack stove as the burner http://www.rcdon.com/html/vertical_boiler_project_3_28_1.html
Tom O