Author Topic: making thin planks.  (Read 5944 times)

Offline R.G.Y.

making thin planks.
« on: January 17, 2014, 02:35:05 PM »
I build model boats, plank on frame hulls. Small planks are expensive, I like to make all I can myself anyway. A few years ago I purchased a small cheep band saw. A Kinzo unfortunately the size blades it uses are no longer available. I have been cutting longer blades, scarf jointing with silver solder, not good for the temper of the metal, or mine.    Thoughts of cutting the frame and razing the top wheel, a lot of work. Trying the smallest available blade around the existing wheels, I found if a third wheel was fixed to the side  the blade would miss the switch gear & hinges. This still allows the the short blades to be used as well.
In the back of the case where 2 boss, drilled & tapped them 5mm .75 tpi. I intended cutting a 1/4" plate to carry a large bolt for the wheel axle.  Looking in the rubbish store, found an old T.V. stand, cut the bracket from that. The wheel hard rubber 3" diameter + 1" wide & .5" hole, saved from a commercial kitchen trolley. The surface is convex, strange as it may seam this will keep the blade in the centre. The aluminium covering guard recovered from the inside layer of twin wall flue.       

Offline mfletch

Re: making thin planks.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 02:39:59 PM »
These make any size you want http://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 02:57:17 PM »
To thickness & smooth the planks. ( some down to 1/32" ) I modified a cheep belt sander mounted upside down on the bench. Drilled & tapped the side fixed a slotted bracket.  A 5/8" bolt carries a copper tube roller, with washers from old coins. The planks must be pushed in against the direction of the belt. Other wise disaster will ensue.  The flap over the switch is to prevent dust clogging it up. (Yes it did) The roller is minutely lower on one side than the other. Accident  not design, but it allows two passes to be made. The second pass on the narrow side with the opposite side down. Both sides smooth with out altering the roller.   

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »
Thanks for that mfletch. But as you can see no need for specials now. 

Offline micktoon

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »
10/10 for thinking outside the box with the bandsaw R.G.Y  :thumbup: easier in the long run than messing about with blades all the time, snader looks like decent idea too ..unless your fingers go through  :palm: , I have had a couple of close shaves using belt sanders in the past so am always careful of them now.
  Cheers for posting , Mick.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 01:08:14 PM »
Yes Mick most important push the wood against the rotation of the belt not with. I found that out the hard way. :Doh: