Author Topic: wifi  (Read 5168 times)

Offline krv3000

wifi
« on: January 18, 2014, 04:12:03 PM »
hi all as bin on all day triing to get me pc to conect t o the wifi thing for the net and just as i think i have craced it me moniter whent bely up  :doh: :doh: :doh: back on the net book don't like it 

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: wifi
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 05:24:53 PM »
Bob.
I think that's Sod's law. Or something similar......  :bang: :bang:

Hope you can sort it, soon!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Pete49

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:12:04 PM »
Bob most WiFi routers have a plug in point or 3 to allow you to hook up via a lan cable your netbook may handle that......mmmmmm just a thought how will Bob see this message :lol:
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 04:42:48 AM »
Though WiFi is supposedly to a standard, I have experienced several occasions where one particular adaptor simply refuses to connect reliably to a router /access point.  Even worse I've had the experience of getting it to work (eventually) to fail again next time the PC switched on.

Odd things I've come across that can go wrong

1) Adaptor will connect using WEP, but not WPA (typically sees signal but will not acquire IP address)
2) Makers describe security strings in different ways (e.g. 'number of bits' in WEP van be specified in 2 different ways)
3) Different drivers required depending upon exact age of adaptor (have to check serial number)
4) Adaptor will work with manufacturers software, but not with Windows 'wireless zero' (I've also seen this the other way around).

If an adaptor doesn't work within a few minutes, it is likely you'll spend hours and even then not get it working - try a different make/model.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 09:47:47 AM »
hi well whent to the bootsale today and got a new monitor for £20 gnaw all i need to do is get the pc conekted to the net

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 09:51:45 AM »
 :D :D :D :D :D as plugd in and its brill

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 10:21:57 AM »
:D :D :D :D :D as plugd in and its brill

Awesome. I just went through a few rounds with my sister in-law fixing her wireless...
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
yep you get the book that came with it you reed it back to frunt and a gane just to mack shuwer that you under stand wat needs dowing then its all dawn hill from ther cos nothing you have looks like the ones in the diagram and ther ant a windo saying conect me and so on phone  to the help line thats a day in it self they recermend  do a sistem reinstale that shud sort the problem out thers a nuther day backing up all the stuff that you is keeping and so on then all it takes is a clever arss to say you need to plug the other end of the phone exstenshon in befor that will work  :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Offline micktoon

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 03:34:32 PM »
Hi Bob, hope you are winning with the broad band..........once you get it sorted out that should be it hopefully  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick

Offline krv3000

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »
yep all up and runing