Author Topic: I am jealous of his chips  (Read 3517 times)

Offline superc

I am jealous of his chips
« on: January 28, 2014, 02:06:46 AM »
I have been watching the MIT how to Mill series and I wish to comment.  I am jealous of the chips this man gets.  All my chips look like the iron filings from a mill file operation, or at best saw dust.  But regardless of whether he mills iron, steel or aluminum as in this vid

he gets nice big chips.  What am I doing wrong?  I use the speeds he discusses (in other vids) for the same size end mills and he gets these big chips, but me?  I get dust chips.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:15:21 AM by dsquire »

Offline Bradley Simmonds

I am jealous of his chips
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:35:38 AM »
Comparable doc? How many flutes/tips are you using compared to the video? If tips what raduis?

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: I am jealous of his chips
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 07:47:07 AM »
Superc.

I've not watched the vid. But, your mini mill, in no way, compares with his mill.

He has far more power and rigidity than you have. Learn what your machine can do for you.

After a working lifetime, producing chips. I had to learn to use mini machines. We get on very well, now.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Dawai

Re: I am jealous of his chips
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:07:15 AM »
Joe Andrews, Hoosier wheels (ewheel rollers)... gets "thick smoking blue chips" like I have never saw on any of my full sized machines.. experience and the right carbide tooling.  (beats a electrician with old wore out tool steel cutters)..

Speed and finish is what he gets, where I have to pay in sweat equity as I learn..

THE mini-machine I  used to own.. (my first) was a chinese joke they are still laughing about "over there"..
I Hung a 24 foot Ibeam this morning in the ceiling by myself, programmed a Arduino this afternoon for a solar project, Helped a buddy out with a electrical motor connection issue on the phone, then cut up a chicken for Hotwings. I'd say it has been a "blessed day" for myself and all those around me.