Author Topic: Flight simulator pedal project  (Read 11682 times)

Offline Bishop

Flight simulator pedal project
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:44:58 AM »
I started a set of helicopter pedals with toe brakes. I was just testing the look before committing to welding. The toe brakes will be using 25lbs pressure sensors which is a different approach from anything I have seen before.

Shawn

Offline TLGriff

Re: Flight simulator pedal project
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 08:33:25 AM »
Looks like an interesting project Shawn. Are the pressure sensors piezoelectric?

Tom

Offline Bishop

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »
You know what Tom, I don't really know. An internet friend of mine was developing the interface boards to use these cheap "thin film sensors" but what type they are I'm not sure. When I get home I will check the manufaturer and find the website again. I think this solution will not only be easier to setup but will add realism. Most pedals I have tried or seen rely on distance travelled not actual pressure applied to regulate the amount of braking applied in the sim. I need to research progressive pressure springs now, I don't even know if they exist but Google is awesome.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 03:00:54 PM »
They sound like strain gauges
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Bishop

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:19:25 PM »
Here is a link to the sensors I have bought. My buddy has tested them on his IC board with great success so far.

http://www.tekscan.com/flexible-force-sensors

Offline ParCan

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »
Looks like they are QTC based.
It's one of the few bits of Quantum mechanics that has an application in real everyday life.
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert....

Offline Bishop

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 01:14:50 AM »
Looks like they are QTC based.
It's one of the few bits of Quantum mechanics that has an application in real everyday life.

My flight sim buddies are going to be really impressed now when I tell them I incorporated some quantumn mechanic principles into my new garage built pedals ; )

Cheers

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 12:06:44 PM »
Hi Shawn,

Looking good.

I saw over on hackaday, a link to this guy's flight sim Cockpit.I realize jis is kind of basic, but I didn't know there is a whole culture around it...

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bishop

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 12:38:13 AM »
Hi Eric, it's actually amazing some of the cockpits folks are building in their basement. There are thousands of people and a number of websites dedicated to home cockpit building. I like the building part more than the flying but a trip around the patch with a beer or three is good fun.

I decided the pedals were going to be a dual setup so I got to work on building a dual flight stick to go with them.

Ready for welding, I had my wire feed set way to high and instead of stopping and figuring out what was wrong I welded most of both parts first. : ( I really need to do more welding : )

Powder coated and ready for baking

You will just have to imagine the axle running between these parts.

Shawn

Offline Bishop

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 07:40:04 PM »
Some more progress...

I need to bend some tube for the actual control sticks, the PVC tube I am using for the photos is way to flexible plus I don't think I can bend it properly. Any suggestions on bending aluminum tubing without the right tools?

Shawn

Offline Dawai

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 09:28:05 PM »
Aluminum conduit? cut it too long, thread the ends with pipe threads, put a cap on one end, fill it with sand, cap other end, bend it to suit.. cut threaded ends off.

thinner tube you will have to turn a plug and dowel it in place.
I Hung a 24 foot Ibeam this morning in the ceiling by myself, programmed a Arduino this afternoon for a solar project, Helped a buddy out with a electrical motor connection issue on the phone, then cut up a chicken for Hotwings. I'd say it has been a "blessed day" for myself and all those around me.

Offline Bishop

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »
Thanks Dawai, I was thinking about trying that trick with sand. I have never seen aluminum conduit but I haven't really looked before either. Aluminum extrusion is pretty expensive where I am but I guess if I don't try I won't know. Thanks for the suggestion

Shawn

Offline Bishop

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 11:59:18 PM »
I couldn't find aluminum conduit so I am trying a simpler design with plain old EMT. I have removed the galvanized on my belt sander and will have a go at welding it.

Shawn

Offline Dawai

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 03:24:40 PM »
Hi.

well.. looks like you bent the emt allright.

I built a buddy a "bush bow" from pvc, inserted plain old fiberglass "electric" fence posts into it. (solid 3/8" fiberglass rod)  One rod is about 35lbs, three makes me quiver to draw the bow (somewhere around 100).. SO.. if you do decide to play some more with the pvc?? it can be stiffened up. 

You can also split a piece of 1/2" and slide it into a piece of 3/4" grey pvc. (use ky jelly)  Search on youtube, bush bow, pvc bow.

I Hung a 24 foot Ibeam this morning in the ceiling by myself, programmed a Arduino this afternoon for a solar project, Helped a buddy out with a electrical motor connection issue on the phone, then cut up a chicken for Hotwings. I'd say it has been a "blessed day" for myself and all those around me.

Offline Bishop

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 11:50:12 PM »
Little more progress made today. As soon as I get the neodymium magnets in the mail I'll start working on the electronics.  Pitch and roll position will both be read with Hall effect sensors.

I wish I could powder coat the shafts but my toaster oven ain't near big enough.

Offline Bishop

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 08:28:59 PM »
Bit more work today...

Shawn

Offline Bishop

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 01:03:20 AM »
I got get back working on the pedals, that's what got me started on this whole project in the first place.

Shawn
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 02:30:39 AM by dsquire »

Offline Bishop

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 08:24:18 PM »
I got the roll damper installed today, hopefully I will have time to do the pitch tomorrow.

Shawn

Offline Bishop

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 03:26:09 AM »
Ever so slowly they are coming together

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 01:29:12 PM »
Bishop

One piece at a time and before you know it you will have it completed. Thanks for shareing it with us.  :D :)

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline DavidA

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 02:18:28 PM »
Quantum brakes !

Does that mean they can work or not work but you won't know until you press them ?

I had a Citroen BX that utilised that principle. Got rid of it as the uncertainty  scared me to death.

Or they can be both off and on at the same time ?

Dave :scratch: