Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 4376 times)

Offline macbrat

Introducing myself
« on: February 03, 2014, 01:03:35 PM »
I'm 80 this year. Am an ex Halton RAF apprentice - 68th Entry (Airframes). After my RAF service I worked with computers - CEng on hardware/software. Retired 20 years ago this month. Sharing my time in retirement between helping others with computer problems, tinkering in my woodworking workshop (mostly woodturning) and in my separate metalworking workshop (mostly making tools for woodturning), and providing English language conversation facilities for my Swiss and German friends here in Switzerland.

Offline krv3000

Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »
hi and welcume

Offline micktoon

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 05:14:52 PM »
Hi Macbrat ,
                  Welcome to the forum, nice to see someone else that likes both wood and metal, I have some posts with woodturning and woodcarving in them on the forum you should be able to search for. What type of woodturning tools do you tend to make ? I am planning on trying to make some woodcarving tools soon.
  Cheers Mick

Offline macbrat

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 11:11:35 AM »
Hi Mick

Re your post, I've just posted an article headed 'centre marking . . ' in which I use my metal working facilities for my wood turning projects.

Brian

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 01:29:32 PM »
I'm 80 this year. Am an ex Halton RAF apprentice - 68th Entry (Airframes). After my RAF service I worked with computers - CEng on hardware/software. Retired 20 years ago this month. Sharing my time in retirement between helping others with computer problems, tinkering in my woodworking workshop (mostly woodturning) and in my separate metalworking workshop (mostly making tools for woodturning), and providing English language conversation facilities for my Swiss and German friends here in Switzerland.

Hello and welcome Brian, You've certainly had an interesting engineering career and I can only hope that I will remain as enthusiastic and involved with projects as you are when I reach my 80th year(only another 28 years until I get there)

I joined this forum at the start of this year and I  have to say it's one of the best I've ever encountered with a very broad range of subjects and an abundance of good advice from other members  :thumbup:

Do check out some of Micktoon's wood projects,he does produce some really nice stuff  :drool:

I particularly like the carved Hare he did,click on this link below to view it:
http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,9129.msg102758.html#msg102758

Bye for now....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline DavidA

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 02:44:59 PM »
Another old foggie !

WELCOME ABOARD.

At work recently one of the younger lads in our machine shop remarked 'you can't move in this place for walking sticks and zimmers'.

He was exaggerating a bit.  But it is true that many of the people in our works are returned retirees like myself.

As we are all sort of part time it is in the interest of the company to do this.  They don't lose the knowledge built up over the years,  if work  get a bit slack we can take a break and leave it to the full timers; go back when it picks up.

And it helps the old state pension go a bit further.

Dave.

(creaking towards 70)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 05:48:43 PM »

Hi Brian!  :wave:

Welcome to the Collective.  :borg:

With your background and experience, we should get along very nicely.  :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing your work.  :D

David D

(Creaking away from 70)
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Online Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 08:25:57 PM »
Hiya Brian,

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »
Welcome Brian, you sound as if you will fit in nicely.

Jim

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 03:44:58 AM »

Hi Brian
                    Welcome to MadModder, sounds as though you will have a lot to contribute, look forward to your posts.

Cheers David,  another wood/metalworker

Offline superc

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »
 :wave:
Welcome.
We look forward to this association and the many mutual benefits it may bring.