Author Topic: 16850 batterys going Cheep  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
16850 batterys going Cheep
« on: May 27, 2019, 10:09:20 AM »
I recently bought a video doorbell from Wish. It was only 50 odd quid and I didn't realise it could run off batterys as well as 24V AC. Downside is it needs 3 1650 Lions at about €10 a pop.

As fate would have I had just bought a Parkside 20V 4 Ah pack for my grinder only to find it was the wrong one, Unbelievable they have 2 slightly different 20V 4/5 Ah batterys out there.

Ah well only £33 down the drain I thought.

Having a beer with my mate who got me to install his Ring doorbell, it suddenly struck me that these power tool packs might well contain these cells.

So lets see whats inside it

What a result 10 brand new ones for only £3-30 each

Sometimes the sun does shine on me

PS: The first thing I knew about this doorbell was when Wish emailed me to say it was shipped. Checking my account and Paypal I found that I had ordered at 22:20 on Sunday DoooHHHH

Cheers Will

PS scrapped packs usually contain good cells as you only need one or to fail to kill the pack.
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: 16850 batterys going Cheep
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 07:34:19 PM »
Interestingly, Aldi are also doing a range of 20/40v battery operated tools, similar concept to the Ryobi One+ range, where everything uses the same (ish...) battery pack.

The gotcha is, some tools require 40v batteries (the big ones), others are happy with the 20v ones. But what's really quite clever - the big battery is a 20/40 dual voltage(!)

Anyway... they're currently selling for £15 for the small battery, or £30 for the big one. And, you probably guessed already, inside are 5 or 10 18650 type batteries :) So there you go - £3 cheaper, big savings!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Bob-tech

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 12:37:41 PM »
Hi together,
these power tool cells are probably just what one would expect. When you buy individual cells you often get something else: A metal cell housing with a tiny battery wired in and an enormous capacity printed on the outside! A proper 18650 has a weight of ca. 50g. When you buy a cell an it weighs only 25g you can imagine what is in the housing...
Unfortunately this is more the rule than the exception.

So these power tool batteries are an attractive source!

There are also 18650 celly with included deep discharge and overcharge protection. I have some real ones from Sony that are somewhat longer than tehe usual ones. So they are fine for flashlights, but they don't fit well into battery compartments.

Bob

Offline rklopp

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 11:54:43 PM »
Be super-careful about potential gray-market cells. The company I work for investigates lots of fires associated with such cells. They show up in off-brand e-cigarettes, for example. I would consider charging and storing any non-OEM cell setup in my fireplace or outside my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk